Search results

1. GrooveMerchant

NGD Tele-bration!

I did my first guitar trade on Saturday. I traded a Music Man Silhouette Special for a 2012 Fender American 75 Block Telecaster Custom. Released in 2011 as part of Fender's 60th anniversary Tele-bration. I have wanted a Tele Custom for quite a while, but don't have cash for buying anything...
  2. GrooveMerchant

I've never had a Number One.

I'm wondering if I'm in the minority here. I hear/read about others having their "Number One" guitar, as their go to in virtually every situation, that has been with them for years. I've never felt that kind of connection to a guitar. I have some I won't sell because of sentimental reasons, but...
  3. GrooveMerchant

What would you add, or subtract?

Going through my guitars and I think I'm pretty well covered, and in fact I'm probably looking for ways I could downsize a little. I currently have (in no particular order) 68 Gibson ES-330 2010 Gibson ES-339 2006 EBMM Silhouette Special 2011 RBMM Steve Morse 1996 American Std Tele...
  4. GrooveMerchant

Refretting a vintage guitar with EVO?

I have acquired a 68 Gibson that I am likely going to refret. The frets are in good condition, bit they are the low and wide frets that Gobson used at that time, and I find them quite difficult for bending. So I want to refret the guitar. If it were possible I'd likely go with stainless steel...
  5. GrooveMerchant

Fighting a guitar...less?

I'm sure many here have had experiences where a guitar seems hesitant to give you what you want to get from it. But have you ever had a guitar seem to give in after resisting for a while? I inherited my Dad's 1968 Gibson ES-330 a few years ago. For the first while, I couldn't bring myself to...
  6. GrooveMerchant

Do i need a 335?

This is about the sound. I have a 339 which I really like, but I wonder. I realize a 335 will sound different than the 339, but just HOW different does it sound? I'm guessing the 335 would sound a bit more open and resonant, but isnit really that dramatic and noticeable? Does the playability...
  7. GrooveMerchant

Little Vibro King...Vibro Prince?

I had a Vibro King years ago, and unfortunately sold it. I got tired of lugging the thing around, and decided to try different options. But I loved the sound and the articulation of the amp. Fast forward 15 years, and I still miss that sound, but just getting back into guitar, there's no way...
  8. GrooveMerchant

How superficial are you when it comes to your guitars?

Are there guitars you own that you wouldn't play for certain shows, not because of any other reason that they don't look tight for the gig? I have an EBMM Silhouette special that plays great, and sounds great, but in my head it looks too modern for an old school soul/funk/blues gig. It doesn't...
  9. GrooveMerchant

I'm just putting feelers out there...

Am I the only one that gets ticked off when I come across an ad that starts with some version of that sentence? It just irks me. I see it as them saying "I want more for this than the current going rate, so I'm not really interested in selling this for a reasonable amount." And there seem to be...
  10. GrooveMerchant

Does this exist?

Has Fender ever released an SSS Tele thinline? Just curious. I just saw the Eric Johnson thinline strat, and while I like the idea of the semi-hollow sound meshed with the versatility of the strat, I'm not sold on the look. But it got me wondering if Fender ever married the Nashville Tele with...
  11. GrooveMerchant

NGD vs UGD

Have you purchased more new guitars, or more used guitars? I tend to purchase most of my guitars used, but have bought a few new ones over the years. Do you prefer buying new or used? Any particular reason for your choice? Just curious.
  12. GrooveMerchant

Selling vintage Gibson question

If you were going to sell a vintage Gibson ES-175 that is in great shape but has had the trapeze replaced and puckguard damaged would you try and source year specific replacements to try and maintain the vintage nature of the instrument, or sell it as it is. Would you get the frets dressed and...
  13. GrooveMerchant

How do YOU discover new music?

I got a trial subscription to Siriusxm when I got a new (to me) Jeep. I never would have bothered with Siriusxm otherwise. What I found was by choosing a station by genre I was exposed to artists I'd never heard of before. It was great discovering new artists and music. I'm not into Top 40...
  14. GrooveMerchant

Ohms question

I have an Ethos Overdrive Amp. It has 1 speaker output, and wants to see 8 or 16 ohms. I have 2 separate 112 cabs. A Mesa open back, and an Egnater closed back with (I think) a parallel output. If I have 16 ohm speakers in the cabinets, can I connect them together to make a "micro stack"...
  15. GrooveMerchant

Do you ever miss the days...

When I started gigging at 19 I played and sang in a blues/Rhythm & Blues/Rock band. I started with a Vester guitar and an old used Traynor Mark III. I found an old Boss SD-1 at a garage sale for $10. I quickly upgraded to a Tele and a Hot Rod Deluxe thanks to a loan from my Granny. And that...
  16. GrooveMerchant

How many watts do YOU need?

Playing funk with a band how many watts of clean power have you found to be sufficient? Putting together a funk project hopelly with horns eventually, but will start with guitar, keys, drums, bass, and vocals. I'm wondering what size amp I should be looking at. I don't think my Deluxe Reverb...
  17. GrooveMerchant

Need some help with dog ear p90.

I posted this in the general guitar forum, and was recommended to post it here. I inherited my Dad's 1968 ES-330 when he died, and after some time finally feeling ready to play it, and found the tailpiece had broken, I replaced it and did a setup on it. After spending quite a few hours with...
  18. GrooveMerchant

Need some help.

I posted earlier about inheriting my Dad's 1968 ES-330 when he died, and after some time finally feeling ready to play it, and finding the tailpiece had broken, I replaced it and did a setup on it. After spending quite a few hours with it the past few days, I find that the bridge pickup is...
  19. GrooveMerchant

NGD sorta.

I spent last night fixing up Dad's Gibson ES-330. He left it to me when he died. I wasn't ready to play it till March, and when I took it out of the case the trapeze tailpiece had broken. He kept it in great shape, but 2 years of living in its case combined with being 50 years old, well I guess...
  20. GrooveMerchant

Bass cut options?

I was looking at some hum sized p90 options, and I came across the Railhammer Billy Corgan sig pickups. In researching them I stumbled across a YouTube video by Wildwood guitars demonstrating Billy's sig Reverend guitar. In the vid they talked about the bass contour a bit, but Greg Koch played...
  21. GrooveMerchant

What guitar is this?

Did anyone watch the recent Prince tribute? There was a Latin artist named Juanes who performed 1999. He was playing what looked like a goldtop ES-339, but I can't tell for sure. It looked badass. Was this a custom job? I'd never heard of a goldtop 339 before. Here's a clip during which you can...
  22. GrooveMerchant

Modding resources

I've been cooped up for weeks, and I'm looking for things to do, so I want to learn to modify my guitars. Simple studded really. Just swap pickups, or upgrade pots or switches, or wiring. Wheres the best place to get info on how to do it? I picked up Dan Erlewine's guitar repair book, and have...
  23. GrooveMerchant

Versatility or specificity?

When choosing and buying gear, whether it's a guitar, or amp, or pedal, or even pickups, do you look for gear that does many different things fairly well, or do you choose gear that does one thing really well? In other words, if you were looking for say a pedal would you want one that does many...
  24. GrooveMerchant

P90 in a humbucker size. Worth it?

I don't have a p90 guitar, but I want one. Instead of buying another guitar I'd like to put p90s in my EBMM Sub1, but I've no experience with enlarging the pickup routing of the guitar. I could drop in a set of humbucker sized P90s, but would it really get me that sound, or just close? Would I...
  25. GrooveMerchant

Guthrie Govan hardtail?

I've been watching videos of Guthrie Govan a lot recently. And I'm gassing for his signature Charvel. It just sounds so good, and the specs look amazing...except... I don't use trems, like at all. I have zero desire to futz around with FR type term, even without the locking nut and fine...
Top Bottom