Search results

1. ninjaaron

Ever feel 'overdressed' at a jam with your boutique guitars/amps?

I prefer using relatively cheap equipment because I like seeing other guitar players' jaws hit the floor when they come to ask about my tone. ZT Lunchbox is the best for this, but lately I've just been running my Zoom effects thingy direct to board and using an IEM.
  2. ninjaaron

Quality vs Quantity?

CHEAP! I like very few guitars in their stock configuration, and I end up modifying most of them, which destroys the resale value. The exception in my case are the new-ish (i.e. not vintage) Charvel guitars, which basically have all the mods I would do myself—but they are already (a little)...
  3. ninjaaron

Guitars sound better tuned down a half step

As someone who doesn't even like the sound a 24.75" scale guitar at standard tuning,* it wouldn't make much sense for me to tune down. *When I'm the one playing it. I like plenty of other people's playing on shorter scales, but I don't like how I sound with them.
  4. ninjaaron

Zoom G5n - two weeks in (and played a gig with it)

Completely OT, but @Pastafarian 's last post got me wondering... How many ways are there to literally skin a cat, and what kind of sicko bothered to find out there was more than one way!? Is there a market for cat skin!? (I'm not some over-the-top animal lover, but dang, where the heck does...
  5. ninjaaron

Maybe you're right and they could do it all cheaply. If so, I wish they would. I guess I'm just trusting that, since Zoom can't just cash in on their brand, they are trying to offer the most competitive product they can profitably build at their target price. To me, it's more of an interface...
  6. ninjaaron

I'd say I pretty much agree with you, but videos are alright for getting an idea how the interface works, which I guess is the main thing for me anyway. It's like you're in my brain! I was sort of set free after I realized all I needed was a couple tube screamers, delay and a clean amp to be...
  7. ninjaaron

The chip is probably the most expensive part. Probably add more than $100 to the price tag. Not saying it wouldn't be worth it, just that I guess Zoom knows what pricepoint they need to hit to move the most units.
  8. ninjaaron

So five months in, and I like my G5n well enough that I bought a second one. I leave the first one at church and the second one is for home or taking other places.
  9. ninjaaron

Alexander Dumble. . . Makes me laugh. . .

I have no experience with Dumbles, but the people who play them generally sound great, so I guess they are good. I just wanted to chime in that there is basically no such thing as a proprietary guitar amp design in the legal unless you're inventing a completely new technology, which, as far as...
  10. ninjaaron

Questions about 4ths tuning for guys who use it frequently.

I don't play a lot of traditional repertoire on guitar anyway -- mostly just P&W, where note-for-note covers aren't really expected. It's mostly just power chords, arpeggios and riffs anyway. My real goal would be able to play in fourths and standard, but I'm not sure that's realistic. 3 4 4 2...
  11. ninjaaron

Little Wing soloing invitational, a backing track for everyone

If you boys don't behave, they are going to put the kibosh on these threads. A wise man once said, "save the drama fo' yo' mamma."
  12. ninjaaron

I'm pretty sure I never implied 4ths tuning was new! I've read the Wikipedia page about tunings. Anyway, I appreciate your insight on sus2 chords being an artifact of standard tuning. I'm still really hoping someone who actually uses 4ths tuning will chime in, but maybe no one on TGP really...
  13. ninjaaron

I apologise for the way I expressed dislike of your media link that doesn't work for me. I should have been more sensative to your feelings.
  14. ninjaaron

Well, your link was so bad that the media embed didn't show up in my browser... So... So my advice is to post it to YouTube or SoundCloud.
  15. ninjaaron

Inspiration/motivation for a mid-lifer

I started ear training with a friend of mine in highschool. He'd play an interval or a chord or a scale and I'd guess what it was, and we'd swap. Assuming you don't want to ask a buddy to do it with you, you can just start out by playing a note, then closing your eyes and randomly tapping...
  16. ninjaaron

Waaaaaat? That was amazing. It's like if Gilmour covered this solo. I'm not really a fan of your comments, but this solo was amazing! Less words, more clips!
  17. ninjaaron

Inspiration/motivation for a mid-lifer

I'm 33 and have been playing since 16, so I can't answer your question from experience, but there are, as you seem to be aware, numerous stories of people starting in midlife becoming decent musicians... But: 1. Learn theory and how musical ideas map to the fretboard. Preferably accompany this...
  18. ninjaaron

I'm all sold on the benefits of fourths tuning. I'm interested in trying to switch over. What I'm not quite sold on are a couple of disadvantages for some of the kinds of figures I like to play. I mostly play P&W, and I use a lot of 2 chords. I mostly do like this: 3 3 5 5 3 X for C2 or 5 8...
  19. ninjaaron

What's Your Single Favorite Guitar String ?

I like that the B strings is tuned to a major 3rd above the string below it. I have no particular feelings about the tonal properties of any of the strings as better or worse, except that I tend to avoid the low E string. I play with a bass player, a drummer, a keyboardist and frequently an...
  20. ninjaaron

Charvel Releases Satchel Model NAMM 18 - thoughts?

FYI, he's not actually late '50s. It's part of the bit for the band... though he is 47... so It's not THAT much of a bit.
  21. ninjaaron

It comes in any color you want, so long as it's black... (... and retina-searing yellow)
  22. ninjaaron

Probably also be interested to know that I mostly play on a church worship team (yep, that's where my San Dimas is seeing all its action). I mean, from a Christian perspective, those lyrics are SO bad, and their live show is also pretty questionable, but I just can't stop appreciating Steel...
Top Bottom