Search results

1. jbraun002

Rack Power Amp

Well, I was in a similar situation, albeit I play pedal steel in a country context (not rock/metal). In my case, I found a transparent solid state power amp worked out just fine and didn't diminish the tubey goodness of my preamp (in my case, a Sarno Octal V8, sometimes a Mesa Studio Preamp)...
  2. jbraun002

PRS Amps - What's Up?

I had the 2-Channel Custom 50w head back in 2013. I liked it a lot, but I was running pedal steel and guitar into the same amp in a rock context at the time, and the cleans didn't translate to pedal steel well imho. Ergo, I ended up moving on. The cleans were very Hitwatt'ish imo. Nice feature...
  3. jbraun002

Why so much PRS hate?

Haven't read the thread yet - just giving you my $0.02. I love my PRS (S2 Mira - plays awesome, sounds great, I use it in my country band!). But whether intentional or not, the PRS brand became associated (here at least) with fairly wealthy hobby players. I'm pretty sure PRS themselves intended...
  4. jbraun002

Kemper cleans are amazing. You're doing it wrong.

Ditto here. I run my pedal steel through my Kemper using the Dr. Z Surgical Steel profile. I'd put it up against the Twin I used to run any day.
  5. jbraun002

playing guitar while high?

Prediction: You're going to get tons of replies from people who played stoned then heard it later and thought it was sloppy. Problem: some of the most memorable and beautiful music ever recorded was recorded while the artist was stoned and/or drunk. And it stands up. That doesn't mean you...
  6. jbraun002

STEEL PANTHER Drummer Defends '***** Melter' Distortion Guitar Pedal: We 'Will Not Be Told What To S

Ah, the old Ryan Holiday "outrageous promotion to sell product" move. Well played.
  7. jbraun002

Was Prince a great guitarist

This is the proper response! I hereby award you "Honorary Mpls Citizen for Life". If you swing by our state I'll make sure you get free Surly beer, hot dish and lefse any time you want.
  8. jbraun002

Why 'Rock' is dead for the mainstream masses today. My theory

(I bolded that line, fyi) Personally, I can't start from that assumption, and it doesn't seem (to me at least) that you argued for that supposition. I mean, this is just a fun board to shoot the s#!t with each other, so no big deal. But my own (anecdotal) experience suggests the exact opposite...
  9. jbraun002

Kemper: Make Me A Believer

Don't know if this will help @ShreddyKrueger, but it at least might help someone else in a similar circumstance. I got interested in the Kemper because I eventually got "twin reverb" fatigue, despite the great tone. I play pedal steel btw. Friend in my band loved the Kemper (though it ended up...
  10. jbraun002

Quitting a Band.....what makes you do it?

Lots of legit reasons I agree with already brought up. I'll throw out one I don't see mentioned often enough: the band rehearses too much, using platitudes to justify the inordinate amount of time spent on group rehearsals ("We gotta get tight man!"). Don't get me wrong. If we're talking about...
  11. jbraun002

I listened to new country

I dig that song. Bonus: the steel player got featured too (as a steel player I appreciate that). I've been playing in pop-country cover groups for awhile, especially after a stint doing Americana stuff (which i still love). At first, I was all about "I don't actually like this music, I just...
  12. jbraun002

Rackmounted multiple inputs

Howdy all, This has to exist... but I can't figure out what it's called - hoping y'all can help. I'm looking for a rack mountable input switcher. Something akin to the Radial BigShotIO stomp box, whereby you can have two instruments and switch between them with a button. Context: I play a...
  13. jbraun002

"Running" a band

I only quoted that word because I suspect it's going to help you the most. What changed between when this started and now? Maybe you're just dealing with normal/typical burnout, and what was an acceptable state of affairs in the beginning of things isn't truly sustainable over a long period...
  14. jbraun002

A guitar great you don't connect with?

Jerry Garcia. I like his bluegrass banjo/folk/Dawg-grass stuff with folks like Tony Rice and David Grisman. I even like his pedal steel playing (which, as a pedal steel player, for some reason our community usually hates his playing). But his guitar playing, while not bad at all, doesn't...
  15. jbraun002

Why is this amp very popular?

100% agree. Only us pedal steel player are weird and often complain about stuff analogous to carrying sheetrock in a Corvette.
  16. jbraun002

Why is this amp very popular?

Agree. I don't get it. They sound like what they are: a low end EL34 amp disguised by the Fender logo, with lots of unpleasant midrange, usually boxy. Reminds me of eating something too sweet and cringing. Or the overly compressed sound of some modern rock recordings. I've heard decent players...
  17. jbraun002

Firebelly Twin Reverb

I actually think there's a market for TR clones, but they'd have to be much lighter/more portable, with similar headroom. To the OP: sorry, i don't the brand of which you speak, but I can also attest to the awesomeness of silverface twins. I have a 72 that is beat to hell, but is absolutely...
  18. jbraun002

Country music has gotten progressively worse over the years

My $.02: I think you're kinda right, but I also think people get a little revisionist with country music. It's never been authentic. It's always been an industry creation. Initially it drew from old-time and traditional sources, but it merely drew from that well - it wasn't that well. It's...
  19. jbraun002

PRS Dealer posts John Mayer Signature on Instagram

I don't think so. I think the bar is higher for PRS, and that they themselves created the bar. You might say I'm just "pushing the goalposts", but I think of it this way: PRS really did come out with some novel new guitar designs that have since become commonplaces but were relatively new afaik...
  20. jbraun002

Understanding PRS - this might help

Dig it! I recently got a used Mira S2 for use in my country band. Set it up to play slide with flatwounds (normally i play steel, but i'll hop on guitar for rhythm parts in new country occasionally, or if there's a slide solo). It sounds amazing imho! I was going to grab a Gibson SG for this...
  21. jbraun002

Bad guitar leads in popular songs...

This is the direction I see people tending to take when Vernon Reid comes up. I'm not saying you're wrong from a aesthetic angle. And you literally cannot be wrong about your personal impression/take. Nonetheless, if everything Reid does is always, "yeah, he can play, but the stuff you thought...
  22. jbraun002

Bad guitar leads in popular songs...

Well, that's apparently what you get when you amplify a lute through a Marshall.
  23. jbraun002

Why do people keep buying 15-20 watt amps and then complain about headroom?

Haven't caught up on the thread yet, but I think what you're maybe missing is this: some people (including myself) can use lower wattage amps in professional gigging contexts (small venues, bars, fairs, etc.) and get along fine with them. Yep, I'm always mic'd. Yep, I have in-ears or monitors...
  24. jbraun002

NYE Gig Review - How did yours go?

Mine went pretty good. Started terrible though (car wouldn't start)! We were just at a small, local country bar. Fun place with a good owner, and filled up nicely. I seriously played some pretty awesome stuff. Of course, I also made some silly mistakes and fumbled the intro to "All My Exes"...
  25. jbraun002

Band member meltdown

Threads probably played out, but I do want to point out that the language used by the member in question in the OP is 100% narcissistic. Mind you - it's 1 paragraph - only you know whether this is aberrant or typical. But the framing, extreme polarization, turning what could be a straightforward...
Top Bottom