Search results

1. adam_l

Difference between the Baja 50s and Baja 60s

Is there any way to predict the weight of the Ash body Bajas, like certain years were lighter than others, or does the weight vary from one guitar to the next, thru all production years. Are all Tele models, w/ Ash bodies, inconsistent weight wise? I'm not that experienced with the Tele, but...
  2. adam_l

Wireless vs Wired Solder Pens

Ya, what is up with that "constant 600F" temp? It seems like a lot of the cordless pens have no temp control...just one consistent value. Looks like I can get a much better wired pen, along with a decent little station, for a similar price. There's a Hakko I was checking out a while back that...
  3. adam_l

Wireless vs Wired Solder Pens

I'm looking to upgrade my cheapo Radio Shack Solder Pen, and was thinking how great it would be to never get the power chord caught on something, or just plain tangled up. Anyone currently using a wireless Pen that they like enough to recommend? I'm not looking for anything too fancy...if I...
  4. adam_l

Kali LP6 1st and 2nd Wave

Hey, I'm looking to get the Kali LP6 and I'm curious if the new "2nd Wave" model is worth the extra $200. Thanks.
  5. adam_l

Ludwig Tambourine - New vs Vintage

Is there a big difference between the new and vintage Ludwig tambos? I've noticed that the old ones with the db-750 weathermaster head sell for hundreds of dollars. Is it more of a 'who played them' deal or related to the actual build quality? Thanks.
  6. adam_l

NEED INFO... 60s-'70s Savoy Guitars (Made in Japan)

Oh ya, it's a rebranded Matsumoku Tempo.
  7. adam_l

[ TE="WordMan, post: 33832035, member: 5329"] I would strongly recommend you focus on the similarities, of which there are some important ones, such as the pickups and pickup layout and other hardware. Clearly these guitars are somehow related so it remains a solid clue. I’ve had to chase down...
  8. adam_l

While similar, the 'Savoy' guitar I pictured is different; look at the shape of the body, at the bottom.. the Savoy is skewed.
  9. adam_l

I attached a couple pics.. The guitar is being sold as a predecessor (made in '69) to the Epiphone ET 270. I've only found one other guitar branded "Savoy" in my research. It's also made in Japan during the '60s, but the logo on the headstock is drastically different.
  10. adam_l

Anyone familiar with this brand? I haven't had much luck researching on my own. Were/Are these considered low budget, mid grade, high quality? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  11. adam_l

Ibanez SR800 Preamp/Pickup Replacement

Since I started thinking about it, I've always liked the feel of my bass WAY more than the sound; the tone sounds cold to me. I now have my heart set on a pu change. And to answer your question, I'm taking tonal flexibility every time, over a couple extra dollars in my pocket. I'd be totally...
  12. adam_l

Ibanez SR800 Preamp/Pickup Replacement

The Vari Mid Preamp in my SR800 Bass is broken and I got around $200 to get the thing playing again. I can either find a replacement preamp that fits the back body cavity, or completely gut the thing and put in a set of passive pickups. I did a bit of research, and I'm pretty sure the Fender...
  13. adam_l

Gibson Guitars: Legend or Hype

I've always favored the feel of Fenders, but in the back of my head was always that LP Goldtop, mocking me with it's high price tag. I finally said **** it during after a couple weeks of Quarantine, went on Reverb and got an '01 Goldtop Classic. I'm not a huge fan of the green abalone inlays...
  14. adam_l

Reverb and Blues Rock

Was there a favored setting for the comp? Also, which one did you use? I've had decent results with the UAD 1176. What about Jimmy Page? There's a preset on the UAD Echoplex that immediately reminds you of Zeppelin. I demoed Eventide's H3000 for that exact purpose. I A/B'd it against the...
  15. adam_l

Reverb and Blues Rock

I'll have to listen again; I've never noticed that there's none at all.
  16. adam_l

Reverb and Blues Rock

I didn't even think of this, but it makes total sense why it sounded so out of place to me. I have the UAD EMT 140, which I finally thought to use a couple days ago; all those fancy digitals made me forget about the thing...it works great, as do the couple Echoplex plugs I'm demoing, UAD n...
  17. adam_l

Reverb and Blues Rock

I'm having trouble adding reverb to some of the stuff I've been writing lately. It's a mix of blues rock, 70s glam and early punk rock.. influences come from Stones (Mick Taylor era), T. Rex, Iggy Pop (Stooges), Dead Boys... All that stuff has really subtle reverb. It's pretty well hidden/mixed...
  18. adam_l

Acoustic Space Simulator / Room Modeling Reverb Plugins

Do you find that the mic placement feature gives your mixes more of a cohesive sound than if u just used a conv. reverb (or any type for that matter)?
  19. adam_l

Ya, I grabbed IR-L for free during that giveaway. It drains my DSP like an Acustica plugin tho. I use Reaper too, so I got ReaVerb; their plugs don't look like much, but work well. I found a free library of 480L IRs, but they are aif files, which isn't compatible with what I got. Can I just...
  20. adam_l

I've been looking at alot of different Reverbs for my next plugin and feel kind of overwhelmed at the endless choices. Just when I thought I had narrowed it down, I read about Reverbs that model an Acoustic Space, like UAD Oceanway and Eventide TVerb. Not only would this style be the perfect...
  21. adam_l

What's wrong with the DS-1 model in Line 6 Helix?

Where are you getting the info on a pedal's preferred input impedance? Also, when you say "first in line," are you referring to the first pedal in the chain determining the impedance? Thanks.
  22. adam_l

I have Helix Native, which does NOT have settings for Input Impedance or an Input Pad. Those types of things are run by my interface. I had the Radial Dragster, so luckily I can change the normal 1M of my interface to between 500k - 10k. I tried it, and it def helped. Do all Fuzz want 10k? I...
  23. adam_l

I wasn't aware how important the role of impedance is with the Helix. Is there a list anywhere of which pedals work best with certain impedances? I just realized that the Deez One started to sound different when I stopped using my Radial Tonebone.. that only ranges from 500 to 10k, so I still...
  24. adam_l

Is the Input Pad -20db on the unaffected DI signal? I have Helix Native, so there no option for Input Impedance or an Input Pad. The Impedance on my interface is 1M. It has a -20db Pad that I haven't thought of trying with Helix. Do you either use just the Gain block at -8, just the Pad or...
  25. adam_l

Cheapest Keyboard MIDI Controller w/ Expression Pedal Input

How much will I have to spend before the Exp. Pedal input is included. All the cheaper keyboards just have a Sustain pedal input. I just need the keys to control a few VI instruments.. mainly drums. Thanks.
Top Bottom