• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. NotWesYet

Eastman Guitars

I have had an AR371 and now have a T49/v and love it. Plan to buy a T59/v and an SB59/v.
  2. NotWesYet

Was interested in this guitar before seller screamed at me

Maybe he is hard of hearing.... ;-)
  3. NotWesYet

How Difficult Is Soldering???

Just came upon these and thought it would be of interest to all. https://makezine.com/projects/skill-builder-soldering-iron-tips/ https://www.instructables.com/id/Uses-of-Different-Soldering-Iron-Tips/
  4. NotWesYet

Which Tele for a non tele person

I don't recall the model, but I had a chance to play one with a mini-humbucker in the neck position. Natural, black pickguard, maple fretboard. The only thing I had to compare it to was a buddies late 60's Tele which had been passed amongst friends since new. It felt as "vintage and...
  5. NotWesYet

I like the suggestion about twisting the wires! Could you recommend the gauge and type of wire for the AC application? Currently, it is all green, quite a mess and I figure I might as well do it all correctly and be done with it.
  6. NotWesYet

I may be in the same place soon! I have been studying the schematic for the SilverFace Pro Reverb and was confused as the Fender supplied schematic has a mid control. Only after much research I found they never used that in production. I think with mine a new turret board, this one on risers...
  7. NotWesYet

I have to say I have always admired those who take pride in their work and are exceptional. More so when they know, most likely, no one will ever see it, yet benefit from it.
  8. NotWesYet

Also, in studying his work, I noticed there are additional holes in the board. Holes in which he ran the wires from the pots under the board on one side, coming out on the otherside then to the tube sockets. Brilliant! What makes mine so messy is that they have wires all over the place making...
  9. NotWesYet

What's your next guitar when this whole thing is over?

I think I'd like to get one of these to match the T49/v I have.
  10. NotWesYet

Thank you! The ground was not bridged I just did not understand the function. That explains noise in components that had a ground wire attached but it was a cold or broken solder joint. I am finding sloppy wiring like a wire whose center and shield had been yanked out and the tech only used...
  11. NotWesYet

If I might ask, is there a technical reason to twist two wires? I read that it reduces hum in circuits for guitar wiring. And I am trying to understand why you would connect the braid of a wire to the ground on one end and not the other. I understand it prevents a ground loop. But why have it...
  12. NotWesYet

Thank you for those. It is like a novice artist looking at a Vermeer for the first time! That gives me so much to work with for my amp!!!
  13. NotWesYet

That is how an amp should be wired. This is what I am facing to rewire. But there have been so many half effort repairs and so difficult to solder in-between existing wires...it is new turret board time.
  14. NotWesYet

As far as working on amps, if you are not comfortable nor familiar it is best to stay away. But you can learn and you can buy tools to assist. Knowledge is your friend. When in doubt, TGP is an extraordinary source of information. Here's a thread I started seeking clarification about...
  15. NotWesYet

Let's share our Social Isolation Projects!

I bought a new turret board, wire and a dozen new caps and plan to rewire a Silverface Pro Reverb. Too hard to get to every solder point and correct and the turret board looks like the roller coaster at Coney Island. Might as well start over and systematically move each part from old board to...
  16. NotWesYet

https://www.thespruce.com/tinning-stranded-electrical-wires-1152893 Tinning is a process of using a soldering iron to melt solder around a stranded electrical wire. Tinning the tips of stranded wires holds the fine wires together and makes it easy to connect them to screw terminals or other...
  17. NotWesYet

Maybe someone with more experience than me could explain "tinning" (SP?) The idea of heating the wire and applying a little solder on it before attempting to solder. I found it makes everything much easier.
  18. NotWesYet

I bought one of these and it has made things much easier. https://www.parts-express.com/stahl-tools-stssvt-variable-temperature-soldering-iron-station--374-100 Not the most sophisticated but better than the inexpensive ones with no control.
  19. NotWesYet

I have been studying and I managed to discharge the capacitors without killing myself! I bought a dozen new caps and a new turret board. And the advice about the soldering iron is paramount. I bought a variable temp unit and it has paid for itself.
  20. NotWesYet

As I am about the rewire my old Fender amp, I did some research on the subject and found this...
  21. NotWesYet

Show your hollowbody/Jazz box

Emily's work with the various Gibsons was always exceptional. But her album with the Borys was wonderfully punchy.
  22. NotWesYet

Show your hollowbody/Jazz box

That is the T49/v. Comes with either a Seth Lover or an Antiquity.
  23. NotWesYet

Gruhn Guitars Have Their Own Brand

Gruhn either designed or helped design the Guild Nightbird and Nightingale. It is spruce over mahogany, but it is very hard to find any sound clips or them. Something similar would be the Benedetto Benny. Edit: Forgot to mention they are both chambered. Found this from our own GAD. Maybe he'll...
  24. NotWesYet

Goofiest guitar gadget you bought or were given

Back in the PRS Forum days I bought a "woman tone" pedal. I can't imagine what I was thinking as it had a drawing of a topless woman on the face of it. When the pedal was engaged the twin LED's (her nipples) would light up.
  25. NotWesYet

Eastman AR-371 Pickup Change

I put a Benedetto A6 in my 371 and was very impressed with the clarity. I would think it would work great in country situation, as well as rock. I chose the black cover and also put in a Rothstein Mid Cut/Boost in lieu of a tone control. Found it very easy to dial in the sound from the amp, and...