• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. P

I need a forum member who can make a faceplate!

Contact Larry Rogers - he restores faceplates and has replacements for BF Fender amps. Larry Rodgers Amplifiers, Inc Naples, Florida (239) 649-8799 ljrodgers@embarqmail.com http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Rodgers/RodgersAmps.html PS Larry's also an excellent cabinet builder, and does...
  2. P

Post Your Vintage Amp

A Kay 703c. I call it a Millenium Falcon amp -- laugh all you want, it's small, quiet and has major mojo! http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/Repairs/Kay703/Kay.html
  3. P

My '66 Fender BF Dlx Rev is fizzy with OD pedals...?

How about some questions. Does it fizz with the pedal volume turned down low? There's three scenarios - matched volume (distortion), increased volume (overdrive) and decreased volume (underdrive). This would check to see if the first stage is being driven too hard, which could be a preamp tube...
  4. P

Amp Problem: Diagnose This

Most likely it's a bad tube - usually a preamp, but the output tubes could be weak and mismatched.
  5. P

Building a soundproof room

You might want to consider building a separate room (or a large closet) for the amps, which would be much more insulated so you can turn them up as loud as you want and set the volume level in your recording room however you want. In one professional studio, they had the 100 watt Marshall in...
  6. P

Is this a stinking tube screamer? (gut shot inside)

The BYOC TubeScreamer kit is $90 plus shipping. http://www.buildyourownclone.com/overdrive2.html Add to that assembly and a decent paint job, plus a little profit, and you're close to $200. Is the paint job anything special?
  7. P

How to make a strat sound more like a humbucker guitar

Personally, I've come to realize that single-coils have their own unique sound that, if the amp is set correctly, sounds much better than humbuckers. Of course, the secret is to set the amp correctly. Plus, some amps seem to like single coils a lot more. This is a very complex topic, and it's...
  8. P

Do you like Tweed, Tremolo, Reverb type amps?

I'm designing a new amp and am wondering what people prefer: Please vote for your favorite configuration Tweed style - no effects Tremolo only Reverb only Tremolo and Reverb (both)
  9. P

SHOW OFF your Supro, Silvertone, Danelectro, Alamo, and any OFF-BRAND AMP!

Here's my Kay 703-c ... I call it a Millenium Falcon amp -- it looks like a POS, but the tone is incredible! http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/Repairs/Kay703/Kay.html
  10. P

Amp Systems vs Collections

I've become a Fender man ... these would be my go to amps SF Champ (5W) for home SF Princeton of Deluxe Reverb (12W) for small clubs I'm currently talking to someone about trading a custom 18-watt tube amp I built for a Vibroverb clone. It's one of the best sounding amps I've heard, and was my...
  11. P

Amp sounds like it has tremolo (fluctuating volume)

Most common suspect would be power supply caps (aka a "cap job").
  12. P

Texas Heat -- 150W speaker for a 18W amp?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Emminence Texas Heat - nice cleans and smooth distortion. I have a custom amp with a pair of EL84 for about 18 watts (it's similar to an Vox AC15 or Matchless Spitfire). My concern is that the speaker is way over-rated for the power of the amp...
  13. P

Swapping OT's - as simple as it looks?

Are you certain that they aren't the same transformer?
  14. P

Transformer/rectifier tube question...

Something is shorting the power to ground and lowering the overall voltages. Bad tubes are the first suspect, followed by bad electrolytics in the power supply. Both are easy to test.
  15. P

Early Marshall amp gooroozze, look at my guts. Know what I may need in there???

The new ones are shorter. Because they are new, that means they may not be the cause. The goo dries very quickly, so it may still be an issue, but it is more likely to be from the original ones. You said the amp sounds fine, which means it may be fine. If you have a bias meter, start by...
  16. P

Early Marshall amp gooroozze, look at my guts. Know what I may need in there???

OK - First off, the dent you're pointing to is fine - most likely from someone holding it while tightening the mounting screws, which isn't easy. It's important to figure out where that goo is coming from, and whether its new. If those big blue caps were bulging out (instead of dented in) we'd...
  17. P

Do old vacuum tubes seem more brittle than new tubes?

I would suspect the long-term effects of heat on the glue, plus it may be advisable to remove power tubes by grasping the base instead of the glass. It does seem that older tubes have thinner glass than new ones.
  18. P

JJ 12AX7 Gold pin - anyone tried them?

JJ preamp tubes come wrapped in tissue paper ... that's gotta have a major impact on tone!
  19. P

Looking at the Princetons and Princeton Reverbs; Need advice

In good condition, a Silverface would be a much better choice, IMHO.
  20. P

New Amp Suggestions

BF Princeton Reverb with a 12" speaker of your choice, along with a complete overhaul (cap job, new tubes, etc) if needed.
  21. P

Small Amp for NGW this summer

I call this type of amp a "Millenium Falcon" (Star Wars reference) You'll have lots of fun watching everyone's expression when you pull this baby out, and even more fun when they hear it - smooth expressive cleans and raunchy distortion! More photos are here...
  22. P

Verb on Vox AC 30 not working

I've got one of them in the shop right now. Check to make certain the wires to the reverb are working correctly -- zero ohms tip-tip, infinity tip-sleeve. Then check to make certain they are in the correct side of the tank. Also check the ohms of the tank input and output. While the amp is...
  23. P

Amp suggestion for cover band.

The Mesa F-50 has a pair of 6L6s for 50 watts. A step down in watts would be an amp with two 6V6s or EL84s. You don't use the lead channel, which opens up a lot of possibilities. The obvious choice is a Mesa F-30 ... A Princeton Reverb comes to mind - it's a fantastic amp, especially with a...
  24. P

Tube Heater wires: Solid core or Stranded ??

As far as I can tell, the unwritten law for old Fender amps is "we only stock one type of wire in one color because it's cheaper, simpler and easier" - that would be yellow solid-core push-back wire.
  25. P

Amp crackles on "D" note.

I had a somewhat similar problem with one of my amps - it has a pair of EL84's and is similar to a Matchless Spitfire. It was adding a crackling distortion to the beginning of notes. After swapping preamp tubes, I got out the bias meter and found the output tubes were highly mismatched -...