• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. P

Gear Websites Designed in the 90s and Not Updated Since

But you can just use your browser's developer tools to change the background to something more readable, like black. Problem solved.
  2. P

Songs That Would Be Classics Today...If They Had Been Done by Zeppelin

Sometimes I wonder how songs become and stay popular, and how much that's related to the song standing on its own or just being done by a popular band. So when I hear a long-forgotten song from the late 60s/early 70s I often wonder if it would be a considered a classic by the masses today if it...
  3. P

What's Your "Last Great Prog Song?"

I like a lot of the prog music from the 70s but since then I haven't heard much in that category I like so I've drifted away. I'd like to get back into prog music and find what I've been missing, so I reach out to the TGP Prog Brain Trust and ask, What you consider to be the last great prog...
  4. P

Which Songs Do You Feel Would Make a Great Punk Song?

The Knife by Genesis. You could trim it down to make a punk version, but it would also make a great metal tune.
  5. P

Iron Man vs Crazy Train

Do you know of any covers that changed things to the way you envision? It would be interesting to hear a different flavor of this song!
  6. P

Greatest Bands that Performed Without Tracks

Elvis Chuck Berry Little Richard I never got to see them live but from the videos of their concerts, they were astounding!
  7. P

Sly and the Family Stone, one of the best bands ever.

Yes, and regarding the idea that Sly "paved the way" for Prince and others, I flip it around and use the old phrase of "standing on the shoulders of giants."
  8. P

How Do You Use the Word "Collection" for Your Guitars/Amps?

How do you use the term "collection" when you talk about your guitars or amps? Do you use it as a synonym for the much-derided terms harem and quiver and as a shortcut for the cumbersome phrase "all those guitars/amps I own?" Or, do you consciously acquire certain makes and models in the same...
  9. P

Is anyone here still listening to the 80s Shrapnel releases?

I'd like to see a cover band or project play these songs mentioned, and more, live. Maybe there'd be a theme like playing the entire Fretboard Frenzy album, or maybe just the players' faves, but either way, I'd be happy. Here's one of my faves that hasn't been mentioned yet:
  10. P

Another Floyd Poll: End The Set with Run Like Hell or Comfortably Numb?

FenderJapan, where is your band going to play (once the lockdown is over, of course). I sure hope it's in northern or central California!
  11. P

When people tell me that unique musical geniuses don’t exist...

The most popular argument against musical geniuses that I hear is that one merely needs to spend 10,000 hours practicing. I wonder how little Mozart and Stevie Wonder got to where they were?
  12. P

Chris Squire's Influences

Recently I've been re-listening to a lot of early 70s prog and spending quality time with my favorite Yes albums (Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge) and am impressed with Chris Squire's technique and musicality. Other contemporary prog bass players didn't have the same approach at all...
  13. P

Japanese Anime _ What's this all about ?

I'm not familiar with Strandberg and Spector guitars. How are they in terms of quality of materials/components, construction and tone?
  14. P

Your entrance/walkup theme?

For me it would be for a band rather than a sporting event and it would depend upon the mood we're trying to set. There's this: Or, I might get creative and do some editing, using the first part of this: Or part of this:
  15. P

Classic Rock Driving Songs

Little GTO - Ronny & The Daytonas Rocket 88 - Ike Turner Panama - Van Halen Low Rider - War Autobahn - Kraftwerk
  16. P

Story telling songs

17. P

Truth! Ever heard original "Mustang Sally"? It's killer.

I hear ya! F'rinstance....The Twist by Chubby Checker
  18. P

What Overwrought and Definition-of-Guitar-Excess Songs do You Love to Play?

I don't play in bands anymore so sometimes it's fun to let it rip at home on songs whose guitar parts are overwrought and are the definition of guitar excess. I'm looking for recommendations of songs to add to my list, and here's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Your suggestions are welcome!
  19. P

Recommend YouTube Videos About Music, Theory and Production...Other Than Rick Beato

Occasionally I check out Rick Beato's YouTube videos but usually come away disappointed. While I like his choice of music, I'd like more on the theory and production and less on his reaction and ego stroking. So, do you have any recommendations for videos?
  20. P

The Black Sabbath Jazz Quartet

Which other (if any) metal bands also have a jazz influence? Now that the jazz influences of Sabbath have been mentioned, it's obvious. It's also clear why most covers of Sabbath tunes don't seem "right," either, since most metal bands that cover Sabbath just blast away. I'd like to explore...
  21. P

What Are Your Favorite Prog Songs 2010-2019?

I'm getting stuck in a rut listening to the same old (and I do mean old!) progressive rock songs and am looking for new ones. So, I reach out to the TGP Brain Trust for suggestions for recent ones from 2010 to 2019. Thanks!