Search results

1. Dubious

Is there a Plexi style pedal that actually sounds like a plexi?

Xotic SL drive. Only kicked it off my board when I got my 50 watt plexi bass amp and the tone was redundant.
  2. Dubious

JOYO Oxford Sound JF-22.

there is no option to bypass the cab sim on the joyo clones. I have the AS and I think with the tone fully counter clockwise its as neutral is its going to get. There is info online how to mod the pedal to bypass the cab sim portion but it's pretty fiddly (smd components).
  3. Dubious

NKBD.... Microfreak.

MF is going to be a future classic. I bought it as something to cover the more exotic bases my stable of Rolands didnt - ie FM, semi modular stuff, the wavetables etc. I havent checked the patch librarian since I got mine (about 2 years ago) but i seem to recall it was not the greatest...
  4. Dubious

Khruangbin. Good, bad, don't care? Jealous brother maybe?

I appreciate the concept but indeed its a bit skimpy. Coulda sworn they've announced the band is done and they are moving on to another project now but not seeing that anywhere. They're on the new Ron Trent record but I don't think it would appeal to TGP.
  5. Dubious

Playing in bands as you get to your 40s and up.

my experience in my 40s is that a number of things are WAY better - people still in it at this point can usually play, have good gear, disposable income for a jam spot, or a house / jam spot already, reliable transportation etc. But overall its way worse as their musical tastes tend to be...
  6. Dubious

Providing you don't lose it, how long does a plectrum last you?

I use Tortex and have many that are probably over 30 years old at this point.. they eventually turn into circles but I stil use em (allways use all three sides of the pick anyways)
  7. Dubious

Caline Englishman

gonna throw some love to the Caline Snakebite... really great reverb pedal with alot of control. It doesnt do say spring or typical stuff it lives in a kind of unique plate / psuedo shimmer realm. People have claimed its an EQD afterneath clone but I dont think that's tru - it doesn't have any...
  8. Dubious

Saw Dead and Co for the first time last night…it was very “meh”.

Dead and Co has been rocky... I thought the first tour was iffy but had highlights.. then it sort of kicked in and I realy enjoyed alot of the runs. Yes it was slower but it was also deeply funky and groovey, the interplay with Chimetti in particualr was really really strong. I have zero...
  9. Dubious

Recording a live band/drummer in a DAW to line up with the timing of the grid - what's the best way?

If the band wont / doesnt want to use a click I'll fix the timing afterwards. Its very easy to snap audio to grid in Ableton live - across multitracks (ie the entire band). How tite you want to lock it depends often on the genre. I will typically check tempo at the top, middle, end and...
  10. Dubious

Death in the family. My 33 year old Kawai K-1 died

about 10 years ago I bought a K1, yamaha TX7 and an Accoustic 134 combo amp off a dude in a for $120. Loved that k1 but foolishly flipped it a few years ago when i wasn't logging as much hours doing electronic stuff. Sold the Tx7 for more than the original deal. Still have the 134
  11. Dubious

Roland AIRA Compact Series - J-6, T-8, & E-4

Ive held out on cheap 303, XOX drums for years but this t-8 is gonna be an instant purchase
  12. Dubious

Loud drummer, best cheap amps

Dynamics and drums are related to the genre your playing as much as the drummer themselves. When i played in a death metal band we certaibly had intros and breakdowns and interlides where the volume came down and the nuances came out but 90% of the set was full throttle as thats par for the...
  13. Dubious

Loud Amps Only Club

I've got to go pick my Accoustic 134 4 x 10 combo up at the jam spot now that the band has fizzled... 125 watts of pure clean power.
  14. Dubious

Why aren't there any affordable electromechanical keyboards?

Im currently tuning my fender rhodes... im on day 8. between replacing some felts, adjusting the pickups, setting the tine postion... Its like doing a settup on a double neck 12 string where every string has a seperate pickup and you have to takethe neck off and adjust the truss rd with every...
  15. Dubious

From My Home Town-Sloan Appreciation Thread

yes thats true the 4 of em all still write. They just lost me circa navy blues when that more hard rockin power pop sound came to the fore. Im from halifax and Sloan definatly set a high bar at that time. Chris is a super nice dude and we played with them a few times bitd.
  16. Dubious

From My Home Town-Sloan Appreciation Thread

awesome band in their early days but totally lost me once patrick took over and the molson canadian rocks direction came in.
  17. Dubious

Anyone know much about the Klipsch KG 5.5 speakers?

I run a pair of KG4s as my daily drivers, love em. I've never heard the 5.5 but if the price is right i doubt you can go wrong... whats the $$$ on em?
  18. Dubious

best alternatives to spotify

Im in the midst of a Tidal tiral. Used an app to migrate my playslists over from spotify, was painless. This was spurred by 2 things. 1 my year end wrap up from Spotify was straight up BIZARRE. Lots of artists and songs i'd legit never listened to in my "most listened" report. Wilco was my...
  19. Dubious

best grateful dead era?

Keith and Donna era by a mile. Zero issues with Donna's vox. If I have to choose the single drummer Mickey Hiatus is my fave but the band was on fire when he came back too. Brett's vocals are more distracting to me personally than donna, the midi keys, and jerry's dabbling with guitar synth...
  20. Dubious

Top 5 Live Albums

Humble Pie - Performance Rocking The Fillmore Grateful Dead - Cornell '77 Cannonball Adderly - The Black Messiah Television - San Fran / Old Waldorf '78 Rolling Stones - Get yer Ya Ya's Out list could go on and on
  21. Dubious

Something some pro musicians sometimes do that turns me off

The carlos quote is indeed kinda lame “my way or the highway” Hunter in his overly loquacious mannner leaves the door open in his though.
  22. Dubious

Who used the middle strat pickup on its own?

I use it all the time.
  23. Dubious

What do you think about these records?

classics for sure... never liked the way any of their records sounded though... very poor / dated production.
  24. Dubious

I've bought my first ever Phaser...

Im up to 7! That script reissue is a nice one! I tend to rotate my modulation but currently have a phase 100 ahead of dirt and the script 90 after.
  25. Dubious

How the hell does one get this tone? (Trigger warning: Cookie Monster vocals)

Hm2 into a ****** mixer thats got some extra eq and clipping contributing to the madness
Top Bottom