• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. J

Mind/Brain exercises for better technique/dexterity?

And he still sounded better than me :-(
  2. J

Are there any essential books for learning how to solo better?

When people say they can't solo very well I always think a good test is to ask if they can sing/hum a solo ok - if not then it's a question of building a vocabulary, which is probably best done by learning loads and loads of other people's solos and phrases. If they can, but can't translate that...
  3. J

What is your main overdrive pedal? (2020 Edition)

Barber Direct Drive Dual Channel - I've got two so I set one for lower gain and one higher - and I can stack them so it gives me 3 rhythm OD levels and 3 lead ones
  4. J

Have you improved your technique at a later age?

My technical ability with lead playing has improved over the last 6 months (I'm 57) - I've been practicing economy picking and 3-note-per string pentatonics (and 3-note-per string blues scale as per one of Paul Gilbert's old videos) for around an hour most mornings, as well as practicing...
  5. J

How would you structure a 2 and a 1/2 hour practice session?

I would spend all your practice time learning Clapton and Hendrix songs and solos by ear, recording as you go.
  6. J

Playing sitting ... Wearing a strap. How?

I'm 6'4" and if I play with the guitar on my knee, I find that I'm constantly leaning slightly forward - fine for short periods but I'll get back ache over longer periods. If it's on the right knee I find I'm also slightly twisted to the right. On the left is better but I prefer to have the...
  7. J

J Rocket Dude vs. Barber Small Fry / Burn Unit

Well personally I really like Barber pedals - the only time I've sold them was to make way for others - e.g sold a Direct Drive to get a DD/DC and an LTD to get a Half Gainer - they do what I want them to.
  8. J

Do I need a Thunderbolt audio interface?

As soon as I realised it wasn't working, I went to the RA website to download drivers, and found this (already posted a rant about this on another thread lol): NOTE: MACOS 10.15 CATALINA COMPATIBILITY INFO Apple released their newest operating system in October of 2019, macOS 10.15. Currently...
  9. J

?? - the issue is it doesn't work.
  10. J

I'm using a late 2014 iMac which has Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3, recording into Logic Pro X. My audio interface is a thunderbolt-equipped Resident Audio T2 which doesn't now work with OS Catalina (and RA don't seem in a hurry to release drivers that will allow it to work) so I need to look at a new...
  11. J

Metronome question

You could try this? https://www.kropinski.com/english/timing-problems-getting-in-time-helps/
  12. J

Resident Audio T2 on MacOS 10.15

Aha - that's exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for - thank you for that :)
  13. J

Thanks - the M4 is USB rather than thunderbolt though isn't it?
  14. J

I guess not lol... I'll just talk to myself then :) "Well Jon, I think that Resident Audio are definitely going downhill and don't seem to have released any new products in a long time. I would certainly look at Focus for a new interface - more expensive but you get what you pay for" "Thank...
  15. J

No-one?
  16. J

I upgraded my OS to Catalina earlier in the year...I haven't done any recording for quite a few months, but when I tried to record in Logic last night, my input signal was't coming through. I decided to update the drivers for my Resident Audio T2 thunderbolt interface, but when I went to the...
  17. J

Musicianship expectations for guitar vs orchestral instruments

Agreed - it's an analogy for a specific situation - I'm sure that not being able to read well, or even at all, isn't a hinderance for many professional guitarists in specific genres and musical situations, where having "big ears" (as opposed to Noddy) is far more important.
  18. J

Musicianship expectations for guitar vs orchestral instruments

Can you imagine a jobbing actor going for an auditions for an advert voiceover and saying " Well I can't actually read, but if you can record someone speaking the lines, I'll learn them by ear"?
  19. J

Alternatives to Graphtech Ghost Pickup systems

Been looking into that....but neither Graphtech or Fishman have enough information online about their products to effectively work out exactly which model would fit my guitar, what components I'd need etc. I've emailed Fishman with questions so just waiting to hear back.
  20. J

Alternatives to Graphtech Ghost Pickup systems

I'm looking at some kind of piezo bridge pickup system that will give me access to 'acoustic' tones from an electric (not sure which of my guitars it will go in yet so could be a strat or tune-o-matic type bridge). I've tried navigating Graphtech's website and to be honest it's p*ssed me off so...
  21. J

Barney Kessel - chord

Thanks to you and Jon R for your responses - what caught my ear was listening to the other version, where it sounds like he's playing C7 at that point, and preferring the chord in the first version:
  22. J

Barney Kessel - chord

Yes - I originally wondered about that third finger, but I think you're right that it's not fretting anything - seems odd not to use it instead of the 2nd finger, but maybe he used that fingering regularly to free up the third finger for other notes?. Either way the above fingering looks and...
  23. J

Barney Kessel - chord

That's how I hear it - the F on the top string is fairly clear to hear, but it's a bit harder to hear some of the other notes - I prefer it to the plain C7. Thanks for chipping in though :D
  24. J

Barney Kessel - chord

It's a blues in C so from an analytical point of view it's C7 (which is what he plays in the other version of this I've seen) - it's the specific notes that form the colour of the chord that I'm trying to determine, so following the bassline isn't much help.