Search results

1. Will Chen

Revisiting the HX Stomp

Well...had an issue with my FM3 that had to get fixed, will finally be back tomorrow (actually getting a brand new unit, thanks Fractal, you're awesome, great customer service!) but over the last week I've been doing all my playing on the HX Stomp. A few interesting things I noticed. 1. I...
  2. Will Chen

MOD Dwarf Now Does Synth Guitar!!!!

I picked one up from their Kickstarter a couple years back hoping it would do some guitar synth stuff and...it didn't. I didn't love the amp modeling but did like some of the wacky effects and figured I'd keep it around to see how development goes and they finally implemented a pitch to cv model...
  3. Will Chen

Getting into composing...

I know, there's no guitar. I'm going to post it anyway. Been having fun with some remix/composing contests and this is the most recent. Enjoy! https://metapop.com/ghost_freq/tracks/the-awakening-sequis-entry/217324
  4. Will Chen

FM3 Pitch Block...

Was messing with the FM3 Pitch Block last night. Love all the features it offers, and for creating crazy things it's perfect. Like loading up a synth and then using the pitch block to fake polyphony...perfect! But for "realistic" guitar harmonies...am I crazy or is it a bit lacking here? I...
  5. Will Chen

Can modelers produce natural "good" feedback?

Personally...I know when playing at volumes I've been able to get feedback with numerous modelers. But maybe there's a generation of players who simply only play at low volume/headphones and as such they've never experienced feedback with a modeler. Here's a super boring very quickly shot vid...
  6. Will Chen

Finally got my hands on the FM3 (and some thoughts vs AX8, HX Stomp, & GT Core)

Been waiting for either a good deal or them to be back in stock and happened to find a link for B-Stock non/headphone units for $799 so I jumped. I sold my AX8 when the FM3 was announced in order to avoid too big a loss, was very interested to see the differences. Anyway, I spent quite a few...
  7. Will Chen

HX Stomp and Reflection Free IRs in a mix

Yes I went there. ;) Was working on another remix contest entry and wanted to take it in a more alt rock direction so I thought...why not? This time I took notes. Parts tracked with my Luna Athena with mini hums. Guitar 1 panned slight left is Minotaur, Brit Plexi Brt, and Gigsup M 4X12 10 IR...
  8. Will Chen

Some Badonk-A-Donk Meets EDM Fun

Hey guys. Been focusing on some producing and remixing skills of late and entering a bunch of competitions. This one I thought some of you might enjoy as I imagined a metal trio EDM collaboration. Guitars are mainly the Badonk from the HX Stomp with some supplemental stuff from the Boss GT1000...
  9. Will Chen

Whelp...you can now "Capture" anything using an opensource VST.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, will give it a whirl tonight. But GuitarML has built a VST3 called SMARTAMPPRO which claims to be able to capture the tones of pedals and amps. Here's the demo.
  10. Will Chen

HX 3.1 Update Process...Other Manufacturers Take Note!

This has nothing to do with the actual feature set, simply the update process. Line 6 has refined the process to be absolutely idiot proof and IMHO perfect. Power up the editor, you get a notice updates are available for both the editor and device, backups are generated as part of the process...
  11. Will Chen

While we wait for 3.1, Some Helix Reverbs.

Saw this last night, some solid ideas and tones here. Need to mess around a little bit today and see what I can come up with.
  12. Will Chen

So the Helix reverb...

Sounds pretty damn good in these hands! I stumbled across Jakub Zytecki a few months ago and have been hooked (I like the instrumental stuff way better than vocal, not unlike Eric Johnson). Very progressive meets synth pop. Very cool in my book. Now, I don't know if some of the verb was added in...
  13. Will Chen

HX Stomp John Mayer Clip

So this came out way better than it should have so I broke it out. Originally posted in this thread : https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/why-does-my-guitar-sound-like-crap.2197519/page-2#post-31405684 The more general point I was trying to make...good tone is pretty easy these...
  14. Will Chen

GT-1000Core Recto - King's X

@JiveTurkey So, I wasn't very impressed with the GT-1000 Recto on first audition, but I thought I'd really dig in and dial it in. It took a lot of EQ, but I think it came out pretty mean sounding (despite the song choice being rather uplifting). I choose one of my favorite King's X tunes, We...
  15. Will Chen

Boss GT-1000Core Brit Stack VH Panama

So VH has been on the mind, I had so much fun doing the micro pitch demo that I thought I'd give this one a shot... When I first dialed up the Brit Stack model, I thought "damn that sounds like 1984 era VH". With some very minor dialing it got even closer. So I tried to full on dial it in...and...
  16. Will Chen

GT-1000Core Micropitch (VH 5150)

@JiveTurkey @4b454e Hey guys, I wanted to break this out from the main thread as I thought it came out pretty well. For some background...the GT1000 Pitch Shifter effect sucks as an actual pitch shifter, sounds broken if you try to raise/lower the pitch by any interval. However, it's a pretty...
  17. Will Chen

Any Jakub Zytecki fans?

Found him totally by accident, but I'm finding his catalog quite interesting, been listening to him a bunch lately. It's like prog metal meets ambient. Very interesting stylistic mix.
  18. Will Chen

PRS SE Custom 24 Wiring Upgrade

I love my PRS SE Custom 24 but felt like I was missing out on the switching differences between it and the US Custom 24. As I hated the coils split individually and only used the middle position with the coils split, I decided to rewire...but I hate soldering. Everything I've ever soldered has...
  19. Will Chen

Some HX Stomp Fun with Stock Cabs

Based on a couple threads reading the HX fam was difficult to dial in without a bunch of EQ and trouble finding IRs, I decided to try and dial in some tones using just the stock cabs and no EQ in the patches and this was the result, I was drawing inspiration from Steve Morse/Dixie Dregs...
  20. Will Chen

Helix...every reverb/delay should have ducking parameters.

Seriously.This should be a thing not only in the Helix but all MFX. There's shouldn't be only 1 type which is a ducking version of a generic reverb or delay. Every single type should have ducking parameters. End rant.
  21. Will Chen

HX Stomp first impressions from an AX8 user

When the HX Stomp was released, I had to finally pull the trigger and check it out as the format is exactly the format I've been wanting to move toward lately as I haven't gigged in forever and as such my switching needs are very limited. I've had it for a little over a week, My initial...
  22. Will Chen

Boss GT-1000 Initial Impressions

Got the GT-1000 on Friday and wanted to take a few days to offer my first impressions both as a standalone unit and in with some minor comparisons to the Fractal AX8, so here goes… First up, I love the physical design here, it’s got a sleek look with a nice big screen and feels very solid. By...
  23. Will Chen

NGD - PRS SE Custom 24 Zebrawood

Few months ago I was contemplating an SE Custom 24 vs a used S2 and in almost every case I preferred the SE especially with the discount if going used. The Sweetwater rosewood top caught my eye and I was planning on grabbing one of those but when I saw PRS were doing a zebra top, I went ahead...
  24. Will Chen

Some AX8 Fun

Had some free time to experiment with the AX8, dialed in a fairly convincing faux acoustic. This was recorded with a Foto Flame Tele using the neck (strat) pickup and the looper in a single take. Also a little fun trying to emulate some Jack White stuff. Some pitch stuff and fuzzy zaniness.
  25. Will Chen

My first 2 Weeks with the AX8...

While I really enjoyed the tones I was getting from the Amplifire, I started getting the feeling of being limited by the unit. Not necessarily in terms of raw amp tones, but more from the switching and effects. Now, when I initially got it the more limited nature of the Amplifire was just what I...
Top Bottom