Search results

1. fitz

is there a reason to play something other than a strat?

Sure, if you want a Tele tone, a LP tone, a 335 tone, a SG tone, a P90 tone etc.
  2. fitz

Uriah Heep or Nazareth - need a playlist

Stealin' - Uriah Heep. Was a classic in my band in the early 80's. Easy Living works too.
  3. fitz

Junior Brown "Freeborn Man"

I love Jr. Brown. Aside from his picking prowess, that wild feedback tone in the intro is an amazing.
  4. fitz

How to remove treble bleed in my Suhr Modern Custom

Give the young lady the benefit of the doubt. It took me two years of electronics school to figure out which end of the soldering iron to hold. Thank god it was only an associates degree.
  5. fitz

Seymour Duncan SSL vs Fralin in a strat

If I had a set of SSL-1's sitting around, it would never enter my mind to change pickups. Don't buy into the hype.
  6. fitz

Guitar Came in With Damage

The guitar looks well used for sure. Maybe mis-represented, but the box damage has nothing to do with the wear and condition of the guitar IMO.
  7. fitz

Why do I love P90s in my SG but not in my Double Cut?

I strongly believe that P90's sound better in thinner mahogany guitars especially the SG. They scream with that upper midrange and nice treble. I believe a P90 equipped guitar is a R&R machine.
  8. fitz

Roasted Shmoasted

I don't know how many others out there are like me, but I just do not like the look of a roasted maple neck. I'll stick to a traditional Fender style with the tinted amber or clear finish. I haven't had any issues with standard maple necks in my entire life.
  9. fitz

Case storage

I'm in the same boat. I dont have a guitar issue with 20+. But my cases take up two closets. My attic is unfinished, and not exactly a great place to store them. They may have to go there though.
  10. fitz

NGD - 2011 Gibson SG Special Tribute

I have that exact model and bought it new when they first came out and still have it. I think I paid $750 or so in 2011. I love the guitar. Although it is no-frills and spartan looks, this guitar rocks. The P90's scream like they should. It has a thinner 60's neck, but I like it. Also...
  11. fitz

Tarnished nickel on a brand new guitar?

As a couple of others say, bad plating. I have a bunch of tarnished nickel bridges and pickup covers. That looks like its about to flake off. On a new guitar - no way.
  12. fitz

NGD - Hamer Studio

You have to watch out with DNB (Drinking & Buying), but you did great. The Hamer Artist/Studio series are amazing. I have the chambered one in a '59 burst which I bought in '95 or so when they first came out and still have it today. All I can say is that it is the sweetest humbucker setup...
  13. fitz

Depp and Beck accused of plagiarizing song lyrics

It doesn't bother me about using lyrics that may have never been copywritten. As @Muddy100 says, "why is Jeff Beck playing with Johnny Depp".
  14. fitz

The Power of "8"

I know a lot of people that don't vary volume controls and opt for 50's wiring which I don't get. What I like a lot in a dual humbucker guitar is the middle position where you can blend many useful tones simply by varying the volume or tone knobs. There are many tones under the hood that are...
  15. fitz

The Power of "8"

I know I didn't have to replace the entire thing and understood what it would take to convert it. I did simply because one of the pots became defective, wiring was a mess and it wasn't clean as it was messed with many times. A simple drop in was key and I am a former electronic tech and do all...
  16. fitz

The "where are they now" thread of sorry I sold it guitars you wish you had back.

After playing guitar for close to 50 years, the one I really miss was a 1982 Vintage Reissue Fender Stratocaster that I bought in '95 for $725. This was the first year Fender started production again and were only making a handful of the Vintage Reissues guitars per day from what I understand...
  17. fitz

The Power of "8"

I have a 2006 LP 58RI and love the way it plays. But about 10 years ago I hopped on the 50's wiring bandwagon. The 58RI has the Burstbucker 1&2 pickups which are pretty bright. When you coupled that with the LP being a bright guitar, it was way too bright overall with the 50's wiring scheme...
  18. fitz

Blues JR tone help

Good to hear you are back on track with the Blues Jr. No such thing as component/breaking in time. However, there is an interesting phenomenon that I tend to fall for and I alluded to this in my previous reply. I have six amps in my living room along with 10 guitars or so. So I am constantly...
  19. fitz

Unpotted pickups.. more dynamic??

I've never done an A/B but my thought is similar to the Throwback vid where he states that the non-potted have an ever so slightly pronounced treble to it. This can be great but also I noticed a little more pickup "click" when picked on the bridge pickup on a bright guitar. The potted...
  20. fitz

Gibson amber knobs with barely visible numbers

Yes, the ones you posted as described are "vintage" amber. The standard amber are very different and the numbers are in white. I have the standard amber on a few guitars and they are OK, but not super bright. I bought a set of the vintage ambers to put on my '59 ES-330 reissue, looked at...
  21. fitz

Gibson amber knobs with barely visible numbers

I kinda get it, but I get by with my Amber knobs as they are. On humbucking guitars I use the middle position quite a bit and blend the pickups to varying degrees often. With standard audio tapers the difference between 7 & 8 can be a fairly large change so it is good to be precise and know...
  22. fitz

Here's the specs...what guitar am I looking for?

Hamer Artist if you can find one under 2K. The prices have shot up recently due to their scarceness. I have an original debut year '95-'96 model and it is the best playing sweetest sounding guitar I own.
  23. fitz

NGD: Patrick James Eggle Macon

Wow! Nice guitar. I never heard of a Patrick James Eggle probably due to being made in the UK. I had to look up the specs and was impressed. Tummy cut, semi-chambered, nice hardware and pickups, finish options etc. Also, looks like a great price for a handmade instrument. I would think that...
  24. fitz

Les pauls

I have a Gibson R8 and a new Les Paul 70's Deluxe that Gibson introduced again over a year ago or so. The Les Paul Deluxe was my first Les Paul I owned and it was a '74 Sunburst. The output of the Deluxe pickups are low 6.4k compared to a standard humbucker which could be 7.5k ohms or better...
  25. fitz

NGD - My First Fender Guitar In 35+ Years (FCS Wildwood 10 '57 Strat)

Awesome classic Strat! I love the 2 color sunburst with a beautiful ash grain. One thing OP said that grabbed me was "resonance" in a Strat. It is one of those factors I judge Strats by. I like to feel the chunky transfer of the notes from the neck to the body. I also got a chuckle when the...
Top Bottom