Search results

1. Jess 1971

Recording my guitars dry. They always sound flat to my questionable ear

In addition to all of the great advice that's already presented here, I'd suggest hitting your cabs with multiple different mics. When I track guitars for rock, I use a low-wattage Marshall turned up pretty high, and then I close mic with a Beyer M88 dynamic mic and a Beyer M160 ribbon. Sort...
  2. Jess 1971

Recorded Using Apogee Elements and Reaper

I recorded a five-song EP, all done at home using Reaper and an Apogee Elements. Spent a lot of time fine-tuning the guitar sounds this time, working to get the right mix of fuzz and gain on my recorded tracks. Any/all feedback is welcome:
  3. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

Thank you! Aaron really nailed the solo. He also banged it out for me in less than a day too, which is just incredible to have that much talent. (I think I'm an ok guitarist myself, but it would have taken me weeks to come up with a solo that was maybe half as good as the one he recorded for me.)
  4. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

Thank you so much! Much appreciated. For what it's worth, all of my music was recorded at home on my MacBook Pro using Reaper as my DAW and an Apogee Elements interface. However, a friend of mine is a professional recording/mixing engineer, so he handles all the mixing duties. Thanks for...
  5. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

If anyone is interested, a fellow TGPer @AaC tracked this guitar solo for me, and it turned out amazing! New EP just came out today:
  6. Jess 1971

Thanks, everyone, for listening! As I mentioned, I recorded this all on Reaper using my Apogee Elements, but I also used a Behringer ADA8200 for extra inputs when I tracked drums. My friend Greg then mixed everything in Protools and made it sound like I knew what I was doing : )
  7. Jess 1971

Yes! Greg mixed the whole thing, but it was mastered by Andy Vandette. Greg is a good friend of mine too--great guy, amazing at what he does!
  8. Jess 1971

Finally finished my band's new album, which I recorded entirely at home on my MacBook Pro using an Apogee Elements and Reaper. Would love to hear your feedback if you wouldn't mind having a listen.
  9. Jess 1971

Which DAW(s) are you using?

Yup, I've been using Reaper for years and I still love it.
  10. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

A fellow TGPer messaged me yesterday shortly after I posted this and offered to track a solo for me. Less than 24 hours later it is done and sounds great! Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Much appreciated!
  11. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

Thanks!
  12. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

Thanks, everyone. I'd prefer to give this to another TGP guy, and a few have reached out in response to this. But Fiver seems really cool too, so I'll check that out. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers. Jess
  13. Jess 1971

Session Guitarist

Anyone have any recommendations for where to find a reasonably priced session guitarist who can track a part on their own? I'm working a song that needs a great guitar solo. Is there a good online resource anywhere for session musicians who can work remotely?
  14. Jess 1971

Exporting Stems from Garageband

Thank you!
  15. Jess 1971

Exporting Stems from Garageband

I've occasionally used Garageband to create organ or synth MIDI tracks that can then be exported into Reaper, my primary DAW. When you export from Garageband though, you can't do it as WAV files, as the only options it presents are AAC, MP3, or AIFF. I believe AIFF is lossless, so that's what I...
  16. Jess 1971

I finally got a good recorded bass sound

I track bass using a nice Radial DI box, splitting the signal to a direct in and to an amp. For my last record, it sent it to my Dr. Z Maz 18 2x10 combo and also a direct signal to my interface. Was able to use the mic'd amp signal for most of it, but it's nice having the DI as well to fatten...
  17. Jess 1971

How are you getting your music ‘out there’?

When my last band was still together and making a concerted effort to really make it, we pursued every avenue. We sent CDs and press kits everywhere, every blogger, every radio station, every label, every promoter, etc. that we could find. E-mailed MP3s to everyone, sent flashdrives with our...
  18. Jess 1971

How are you getting your music ‘out there’?

CD Baby can definitely help you get your tunes on streaming platforms, but I don't even bother. I just put everything on Bandcamp and leave it at that.
  19. Jess 1971

Overhead Drum Mics

Thanks. I wound up ordering a matched pair of KSM137s from Sweetwater today. Comes with a nice case and a mounting bar too. Got a decent price because of Memorial Day sales, so it all worked out. Can't wait to try them on drum overheads. Thanks again for the advice.
  20. Jess 1971

What's in your mic locker? (2020 edition)

Shure SM7B Beyerdynamic M160 Beyerdynamic M88 Sennheiser e602 Shure SM57 (x4) Audio Technica AT-4050 MXL 603 (x2) Shure KSM137 (x2) I basically have enough to decently track a drum kit, and then good mics for tracking vocals, bass, electrics, and acoustic guitars.
  21. Jess 1971

Overhead Drum Mics

My recording space is ok, although admittedly not ideal. I have to do a lot to control reflections when I set up to track drums, but I'm usually able to get things right. My room mics always sound good--I've done everything to solo room mics to Blumlein pairs. I've used the 603s in other spaces...
  22. Jess 1971

Tell me your lessons learned in drum recording - what do you wish you knew when you started out?

I'd been recording my own band for about 10 years at home whenever we did an album, and I have accumulated some decent gear over the years, including some really nice mics and whatnot. I've always been pretty happy with my drum sounds. Last year when we did our most recent album, we tracked...
  23. Jess 1971

Overhead Drum Mics

This is really helpful. Thank you. That sounds really nice. My complaints with the 603s is that they can sound a little thin and, weirdly, kind of distant, for lack of a better term. Just wanted to make sure that if I spend the money that it will be a commensurate improvement in sound quality...
  24. Jess 1971

Overhead Drum Mics

I'm looking to upgrade my small diaphragm condenser mics that I use for drum overheads. Currently using a pair of MXL603s, which are just so-so. I initially thought about a pair of KSM32s, but given my recording space is not optimal, I figure sticking with small-diaphragm condensers might be...
  25. Jess 1971

String/Orchestra Plugin recommendation?

For what it's worth, I'm looking for something to use with Reaper.
Top Bottom