Search results

1. R

Capturing A Mixed Speaker Cab

Mixing speakers in a cab is primarily done for two reasons: 1.) Your ear (in the far field) likes the sound of the blend. 2.) You’d like to pick up two different sounds via “close” mic, in the nearfield. This could be for stereo panning, separate channel processing, or maybe you really like to...
  2. R

Dinosaur Jr Live Vocals Question

Great question, and my post here will add zero value to this thread. But here is a story regarding the stage volume. I saw them at the Wiltern in Los Angeles maybe 10 years ago. The audience mix, when I was standing up front was just about 100% guitar. Halfway through the set I walked to the...
  3. R

How to cut down on cables onstage to create a 'cleaner' stage?

Is there such a cable that has the right number of conductors to carry: 1.) Signal from pedal board to amp input 2.) Send signal from amp’s effects loop 3.) Return signal back to amp (effects loop) If I calculate correctly, this would require 4 conductors (or maybe 3 conductors and a shield)...
  4. R

Mix advice: Punk Rock Hardcore Live Show

I hear the repeated comment "vocals too high," and "guitars a little too low." Are these changes too subtle? 2nd Revision: MP3 version: www.thepitchingmachine.com/TheGearPage/20200529uForTheRecord.mp3 WAV version: www.thepitchingmachine.com/TheGearPage/20200529uForTheRecord.wav Also, I...
  5. R

@CanserDYI, thank you. These were mic’ed 4x12s with a single SM57. I *hate* 57s, but that’s what I had available. I have ZERO processing on the mics, so maybe I could add a bit of room verb or something. If you sensed that they were dry, you’re right. I think the vocals clipping, as mentioned...
  6. R

New set up for recording acoustic guitar

The “inspiration has passed” problem is real. My best advice and solution for this is: A.) Just be an awesome performer, regardless of the situation, Studio, mic placement, whether your strings have been changed, etc (I’m awful at this) B.) Leave a hot mic up all the time and accept an...
  7. R

@SolidGuitar, thanks for the feedback!! Yep, I “ghetto mastered” it in-the-box for the listeners here. I’m kind of thinking of asking for input here (thank you for yours!), making some final mix tweaks, removing my mastering limiter/compressor, and printing a mix. At that point, I will probably...
  8. R

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment. I'll take your comments and do another mix (and listen in my various respective environments). Your comments help a lot! Thank you. The recording was done when I was a bit more green. The mix, not so much, so I think I'm 99% there. Cheers.
  9. R

C'mon... anybody with mastering experience care to take a listen?
  10. R

I'm the recordist and mixer of a live punk rock hardcore show and I multi-tracked the band, so I think it makes for a pretty good recording. My question for any mixing or mastering engineers willing to give me their opinion: What would you change if you got *this* mix? What don't you like? Do...
  11. R

How to get THIS acoustic guitar sound

Ok, you guys have convinced me to get out of my home studio office room (where my mics pick up the computer fan noise too much). That doesn’t mean I’m going to do it at a studio. It just means I’m going to run mic cables to a different (noiseless) environment, but that also means I’ll need an...
  12. R

This is EXACTLY the type of response I was hoping to get. In other words, you answered, "What are *you* hearing?" Thank you for checking it out. This is valuable info for me.
  13. R

Thanks; if others here agree, that was one thing I wanted to answer, i.e., should I go buy an SM81 or other SDC.
  14. R

Thanks Crowder. You bring up very apropos points.
  15. R

Sure, Both files are on my server here: http://thepitchingmachine.com/TheGearPage/
  16. R

So I've got a fantastic couple of Taylor dreadnought guitars (one with Rosewood back & sides, one with Cocobolo back and sides) and I'm trying to get a sound like this: or this: What do you hear (production, distance of the mic, etc.)? What tips could you give me to get such a sound? I've...
  17. R

Why no Small-diaphragm Condenser Mics on Guitar Cabs?

I love bright guitar sounds (I tend to play high-gain rhythm guitar), but "bright" to guitar is a different frequency range (to me at least) than "bright" cymbals, for example. However, even though I like "bright" guitar, I *always* lowpass filter a recorded electric guitar sound, even if I've...
  18. R

Current favorite guitar mic...

Sennheiser MD421 for sure. For calibration (of my taste): My ear HATES SM57s.
  19. R

At home karaoke solution

No, I play the karaoke version (not the regular version).
  20. R

At home karaoke solution

I bought an iPhone holder that attaches to a microphone’s boom arm. With this method, the *audience* does not get to see the lyrics. The phone’s output feeds a PA channel. One or more mics feed other channels. The performer looks for their song on YouTube (e.g., Type in ”Journey don’t stop...
  21. R

Do you have a guitar amp rack in your control room?

I ended up putting my heads on one of those Home Depot adjustable rack steel wire shelf units (and didn’t like it). I’d rather have a nice wood furniture type of shelf because it could look a lot better, be less top heavy, and just more stable.
  22. R

Metal/Thrash guys. Question on tone 2k to 3k

Totally agree with this, but I found that I couldn’t really get the nice, textured, present, detailed 6-10 kHz from the source. Trust me, I tried. I tried moving the mic closer to my speaker’s dust cap. I tried changing out the volume pots in my Gibson guitars from 300 ohm to 500 ohm, I tried...
  23. R

Is this an unhealthy waveform?

If you’re plugging the guitar into the interface, and if you haven’t adjusted the gain in between (various) guitars, I’d say it’s normal. It’s just an effect of having a weaker output. By the way, assuming you’re recording 24-bit audio, you probably don’t need to have “gain set *just* before...
  24. R

Is this an unhealthy waveform?

Are you recording guitar straight into the interface, or are you playing into an amp (and mic’ing the amp)?
  25. R

When lining-up a second cab mic with a 57.....

First off, my ear can hear 13.5 kHz, so phase cancellation at that frequency, if it existed, *would* matter. Second, 13.5 kHz is present in some of my high-gain recorded guitars; once again, it would matter (to me). Third, you’re sort of implying that the 1-inch capsule location difference...
Top Bottom