Search results

1. Steve Dallas

Please provide me some info on DACs

The M4 performs quite well. I have thought of purchasing one as a multi-function device. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m4-audio-interface-review.15757/
  2. Steve Dallas

For you contra-cable guys...

Wow. Lots of contortions in that post. On Internet forums, we often see people doing what they accuse others of doing. ^ Nice example thataway. What makes you think I didn't try again? Several times? Attempt ear training? I did. And I learned to perform better in blind tests when the...
  3. Steve Dallas

The point I was trying, and apparently failing, to make is that most of these arguments predictably go this way: Subjectivist: Measurements don't matter. Use your ears! Objectivist: OK. Let's do a properly-conducted, level-matched blind test and use our ears to prove our ears are capable of...
  4. Steve Dallas

Never mind the $1 per foot Romex running >50' from the box to the $1 wall outlet in the average home. That last 3' of nano-something-something makes all the difference! The best part of these threads is the appeal to Dunning-Kruger by both sides. But only 1 side has any engineers. When all...
  5. Steve Dallas

Not so. I am perfectly aware that some people do "fail" a blind test and still purchase the expensive item, because its supposedly superior materials and/or construction must still somehow be better. Or they just like how it looks. Or they like expensive things. Or, as I alluded to earlier...
  6. Steve Dallas

It was very nice to meet your strawman. Why are you assuming I made an assumption?
  7. Steve Dallas

Anyone contemplating investing in cables should participate in a blind or double-blind test before spending any money. I was convinced I could hear the differences in cables beyond influences of resistance, inductance, capacitance, and noise until I completed a blind test. I "failed" the test...
  8. Steve Dallas

Hi-Res Streaming Service Shoot-out, limited review

While I do subscribe to Amazon Music HD and enjoy it daily, I have a question: Why do we care about greater than 16 bit depth, when most of our DACs can output no more than 20 bit dynamic range, and the vast majority of amps struggle to hit even 16 bits? Why do we care about sample rates...
  9. Steve Dallas

Here are links to objective testing of the various Dragonflies and other products in similar form factor: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-audirect-beam-and-aq-dragonfly.5455/...
  10. Steve Dallas

Good bluetooth wireless receiver?

You want a receiver that supports LDAC. Unfortunately, AAC, aptX and aptX HD all under-perform standard SBC in objective testing in terms of noise and distortion. LDAC is by far the best CODEC. (Image borrowed from our friends at MiniDSP.) See also this discussion of different Bluetooth...
  11. Steve Dallas

Speaker Question - B&W vs KLH

I have no direct experience with KLH speakers, but based on what I see in this listening window measurement, I do not care to gain any experience with them. There is an artificial bass boost at 90Hz, a dip right in the middle of the SBIR region between 100 and 500Hz to 'helpfully' make that...
  12. Steve Dallas

Schiit Audio

I have the Modi 3 / Magni 3 stack of Schiit for headphones. I also have Modius balanced DAC Schiit in both of my main systems. Great sounding affordable gear.
  13. Steve Dallas

The Fiio D3 is a fine utility DAC, but its output, which should be 2V unbalanced, is limited to 1.4V, and it has a relatively high output impedance, which loads down whatever is plugged into it. Something like the aforementioned Schiit Modi 3 is a much better performer. JDS Labs also makes...
  14. Steve Dallas

I need advice on a subwoofer or two!!!

Absolute rubbish. Start here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-low-frequency-optimization.15/ There are many, many other scientific sources which prove you assertions incorrect.
  15. Steve Dallas

What is an audiophile ?

Someone who proclaims their expertise, yet refuses to participate in a blind test, much less a double blind test to prove it.
  16. Steve Dallas

What is an audiophile ?

Someone who believes the word "resolving" has actual meaning relating to audio.
  17. Steve Dallas

Does vintage McIntosh sound good with modern speakers?

I think we both may be right. Tear-downs of at least some newer models show the same boards with same components and part numbers. The main differences are the driver board for the porthole on the Marantz, the HDAM board(s), output board for models with balanced outs and different connectors...
  18. Steve Dallas

It is very difficult to compare different systems in different rooms in different places. What you could hope to gain by switching to a dedicated preamp: 1. Lower distortion 2. Lower noise floor 3. Lower crosstalk (better channel separation) 4. Better channel matching The question is, is any...
  19. Steve Dallas

Thanks for the clarification. What specific problem do you think your AVR has, and how do you think adding external gear will solve it? I am familiar with your speakers. I think your problem lies with your room and/or your speaker placement. Once electronics pass a certain threshold of...
  20. Steve Dallas

This actually makes a lot of sense. Denon makes the best AVRs in the business, objectively speaking. Their higher end AVRs actually outperform all or nearly all AVPs on the market. Their DAC implementations are cleaner and quieter, as are the rest of the digital pipelines. And their amps...
  21. Steve Dallas

Can I add a 2 channel amp to my Denon?

Doubling your power results in a 3dB increase in loudness, so this is expected. The input sensitivity of the amplifier also matters. Your receiver is likely putting out 2V or less unbalanced. If the amp cannot reach full power with the receiver's output, you will lose headroom.
  22. Steve Dallas

Looking at your stack, I am not certain of the purpose of the Mac receiver? Simply a preamp with a volume control? If so, why not consider a simple preamp? Also, you do not want to plug 2 amplifiers into the same speakers without a switcher.
  23. Steve Dallas

Class D amps opinions

We do not live in a binary world. People at ASR can multitask. Many (including the founder) use measurements to inform decisions, yet rely on their ears, features, and aesthetics for final determining factors...
  24. Steve Dallas

Focal Aria 926 speakers are smooth and wonderful

They are indeed very nice speakers: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/focal-aria-906-speaker-review.14085/ Most speakers (spider and surround) actually break in within minutes. What actually happens during the break-in period is the human adjusting to the new speakers.
  25. Steve Dallas

Class D amps opinions

Hypex Ncore, Purifi are SOTA amplifiers by any measure. The newer ICEpower modules are not too far behind. Someone please tell me what "soul" sounds like, as I sit here and thoroughly enjoy the sound of my Nova300 through a pair of Philharmonic BMR speakers.
Top Bottom