Search results

1. Jess 1971

Dirty Shirley 40, or Mini?

My 40-watt DS40 head is the single best guitar amplifier I have ever played in more than 35 years of guitar playing. I love everything about it. Amazing gain tones, awesome warm cleans, excellent effects loop--just an all-around killer amplifier.
  2. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Perhaps. I kind of figured it was the rectifier tube that was causing the problems, as once I swapped it out that seemed to bring the amp back to normal. I'll certainly keep a close eye on it though, and if the problem persists, I'll bring it to my amp tech.
  3. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Since I posted this thread two months ago, the amp has been working fine with just a new fuse. Fast-forward to tonight, and I blow another fuse. I replace it with another, which then also promptly blows. So I swap out the 5ar4 rectifier tube with the Groove Tubes 5AR4 I got from Guitar Center...
  4. Jess 1971

Let us now praise LOUD: J Mascis Rig Rundown

Saw them a few weeks ago over at Yale and they were great. They were loud but not punishingly loud. Saw them at a really small club (approx. 250 people) about three years ago and J still had the same amp setup and holy moly is was painful. I wore earplugs the whole time and my ears were still...
  5. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

I took your advice and picked up a Groove Tubes Gold 5AR4 from Guitar Center online. Less than $30 shipped, so I'm all good. Many thanks for all the helpful info.
  6. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Thank you so much! This is so helpful. I really appreciate it. Thinking about my amp some more though, I suppose it's quite possible that I simply blew a fuse and my rectifier tube is fine and will last few a few more years, yeah?
  7. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Thanks. I'd blown a fuse, which completely stopped the amp from powering on. I've since replaced the fuse, and now it seems like it's working fine again. However, when I spoke with Dave at Friedman and he said that when the fuses start to blow, it may mean that a rectifier tube is starting...
  8. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Awesome. Thank you. Very much appreciated. Now for a 5ar4 rectifier tube, is there any particular brand that is recommended? Is it worth paying a premium for Tung Sol or Mullard, or does it not really matter much? I love the sound of the amp the way it came with the stock Chinese-made Sino...
  9. Jess 1971

Rectifier Tube Question

Apologies in advance for the noob question. Can I replace the Sino 5ar4 rectifier tube (pictured below) in my Friedman DS40 with any other brand 5ar4 rectifier tube (e.g., Sovtek, JJ, etc.)? Will I need to rebias the amp if I'm just replacing the rectifier tube?
  10. Jess 1971

Amp for Fuzz

I have a lot of different fuzzes that I use almost exclusively for recording. Last year I sold my Maz 18 combo, leaving me with a Marshall JCM800 and a Friedman DS40. Both of my amps are incredible, but neither one sounds as great with fuzzes as my Dr. Z did. That said, I didn't really like...
  11. Jess 1971

If you had to sell it all, and just buy one new amp......what would that be?

My Friedman DS40 is the best amp I've ever owned. Has everything I've ever wanted in a guitar amp. I could easily live with just that amp.
  12. Jess 1971

Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master

I use fuzzes with my Strymon Iridium, and it sounds great. If the Tone Master amps could cop the same vibe, I think I'm in.
  13. Jess 1971

Fender Deluxe Reverb Tone Master

I'd love to see a clip of the Tonemaster used with some different fuzz pedals.
  14. Jess 1971

Amp Switching Device?

Yes! Thank you!
  15. Jess 1971

Amp Switching Device?

Is there such a device that would allow you to plug your guitar into it that you could plug into multiple amp heads which would then all plug into the same speaker cabinet? So that way you could have multiple heads all plugged into the same cab and then you could just flip a switch to decide...
  16. Jess 1971

How do your feel 1 year later about your Fender Deluxe Reverb ToneMaster?

Can anyone chime in and tell us how it sounds with fuzz pedals?
  17. Jess 1971

Marshall JCM800 SC20 Cab Choice?

I wound up getting an Avatar 1x12 cab with a removable back for open/closed back options. Loaded it with a Greenback and had Avatar match the cosmetics of the Marshall down to the piping. Man, Avatar makes great stuff for such reasonable prices.
  18. Jess 1971

New Amp Day: Marshall SC20H - JCM800

Great-looking cab! I hope you enjoy the Marshall. I'm loving mine.
  19. Jess 1971

New Amp Day: Marshall SC20H - JCM800

My Marshall SC20H JCM800 head arrived last week, and today my Avatar cab arrived as well. The Studio Classic 800 is fantastic! All the killer roar of a full-size JCM800 but in a smaller package. Even though it's listed at only 20 watts, it is seriously LOUD. But more important, it has all the...
  20. Jess 1971

Wrong Cabinet Delivered

FedEx already retrieved it, taking it to its rightful owner. The cab I ordered is hopefully on its way to me now too.
  21. Jess 1971

Wrong Cabinet Delivered

Well I spoke with Dave at Avatar, and while it is unconfirmed, the suspicion is that my cab got shipped to the guy who was supposed to get the one I received. So we're each going to pack up our cabs and Dave is going to have FedEx come and make the swap. Fortunately, the other guy is only two...
  22. Jess 1971

Who's in love with their Friedmans?

My DS40 is the single best guitar amplifier I have ever played. I absolutely love it.
  23. Jess 1971

Wrong Cabinet Delivered

I chose the convertible because I didn't know if I'd prefer the sound of an open or closed back cab with this new head I got, and I wanted to have a choice. No, I just called Avatar last week and ordered what I wanted over the phone. Didn't know there were coupons. The cab I ordered was $339...
  24. Jess 1971

Wrong Cabinet Delivered

I custom ordered a 1x12 speaker cabinet from Avatar to go with my new Marshall SC20 head, which was also delivered yesterday. I had ordered a Greenback in their 1x12 convertible cab, which allows you to easily remove the back in case you prefer open or closed back: However, they instead sent...
  25. Jess 1971

Sounds great on headphones

Strymon Iridium should be on your list. Not super feature-laden, but it sounds tremendous, modeling just three amps (Fender Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, and Marshall Plexi) but accurately. It also incorporates pedals better, in my opinion, than any other digital platform.
Top Bottom