Search results

1. IAE

Help, I am an idiot (CV Jaguar Repair)

Pots can often be repaired. Search for such things and see if you can. You’ll learn either way. ;)
  2. IAE

Heavier gauge strings are easier on the fingers

Thicker sounds better to me. 13-56 on all of them.
  3. IAE

Different tunings - How about a tuner that tunes to 432hz?

Korg have tuners that have adjustable hertz. Korg Orchestral Tuner OT-120 Korg CA-20 (old and the one I use) I set mine to 432. Why? I don’t know. It’s staying as it is.
  4. IAE

Why are we gravitating towards guitar designs that are 60 years old?

Because of the aesthetics and features. I’ve always liked them and hate pretty much all modern guitars. I don’t like modern cars either. Or modern clothing, or modern anything really.
  5. IAE

Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster? NGD!

It’s not a true vintage spec model at all. There’s numerous things historically inaccurate…including the routing. Pickups are AV65s, yes. It’s a great looking model. Clearly not historically correct:
  6. IAE

can i reheat & reuse existing solder on guitar pots?

Solder time of 3-5 seconds maximum is what manufacturers often recommend in their data sheets. BTW, less solder is better than too much but it’s always worth adding a little new solder to existing solder.
  7. IAE

How do I "yellow" my guitars? Best cigarette brand?

UV Bulbs will do it.
  8. IAE

Heading to Seattle soon, best guitar shops?

This one…see bad things. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/luthier-damaged-guitar.2380227/
  9. IAE

How do I "yellow" my guitars? Best cigarette brand?

Last time I talked to Bob Sackamano he was over the whole “fake aging” thing as he too is quite old now and has himself realized that it’s in youth that vigor and enthusiasm are found.
  10. IAE

Differences between vintage pre-CBS and modern Strats.

Two sites I found along the way. They may help you define details you’re after. https://precbsstratocasters.com/ https://precbsguitars.com/What_we_do.html
  11. IAE

5 bands that influenced your style and sound most when first learning guitar.

Nirvana - Bleach, Incesticide…specifically. Melvins - Houdini…specifically. Slayer - South of Heaven, Seasons in The Abyss…mostly. Sonic Youth, all. Dinosaur Jr, all. However, my playing style is very broad today. I can sound like any of the above with original material (so much so you’d think...
  12. IAE

What Fender Jaguar could I buy?

Indeed. I have songs I can play much easier on my 24” scale guitars than on the 25.5” scale. It makes a huge difference when stretching over multiple frets.
  13. IAE

Are offsets the most popular guitar these days?

Roy Clark plays Jazzmaster and Jaguar, among others. Also, worth watching him here.
  14. IAE

Yes, and many before those guys.
  15. IAE

Post audio examples despite lack of skill?

Post them because of a lack of skill that way people can rip you a new one. :D I’ve been playing guitar since 1994 and I’m still learning…always will be. Instrument Mastery doesn’t exist. What does exist is Instrument Wankery!
  16. IAE

Where is your guitar volume dial at for your best tone?

Volume controls only serve one function to me and that’s to turn the guitar off. I could just use a switch but a knob looks better. With 1MΩ pots I do use the tone knob a little (on 7-8) if I use a lot of gain.
  17. IAE

I still can’t comprehend “the wonky bridge” part as mine are rock solid. Only if you use wimpy ten gauge strings could it be buzzing, but not wonky.
  18. IAE

Taking on my most challenging headstock break repair ever

Calling Mr. Ted Woodford…
  19. IAE

Fender Meteora Tremelo Arm

Take your guitar into a large guitar store and try out a bunch of arms from other models.
  20. IAE

How do you clean a reliced guitar?

Same way you’d clean a real vintage guitar…with a cloth just to get dust off of it. That’s what I do on my 1965/66 Fender.
  21. IAE

Yet you maintain it has problems. (Wonky bridge) Forgive me, but something isn’t right here. lol
  22. IAE

Yeah, just like 99%+ of former owners. I’d say you are 100% correct. User error, not design error.
  23. IAE

I’ve been playing them since 1994. (no hipster/I don’t like hipsters)
  24. IAE

Has Epiphone finally found an artist to endorse that plays actually their instrument?

Kerry King and his Custom Shop guitars….not his mass produced signature guitars.
  25. IAE

Fender Mustang info wanted

Mustangs always came with covers without pole piece holes. Fender make reissue ones and the black ones are practically identical to the originals. The white ones are the wrong type of white. The headstock is 1964 shape. The tuners are either post 1966 Stratocaster/telecaster or 1970s...
Top Bottom