• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Z

Saw Bohnam Zep experience last night

No, he did not. Back in 1968 it was somewhat revolutionary what he did with one pedal, but as drummers have shown over the decades, its really not all that complicated. It just takes a huge amount of practice like anything else. Go on youtube and you'll see dozens of drummers doing Bonham...
  2. Z

Pretty sure it was Page and JPJ who said no. I think it was mid/late 69 at a show in California where Bonham set up two bass drums and after the show they all agreed there was just way too much going on there.
  3. Z

I was at that concert in London back in 2007 and Jason's kick was nowhere near as obnoxious as it is now with his "experience" band. From what I remember, the kick sounded pretty good.
  4. Z

Yep, saw them last year and the kick drum was almost comical. It's like they're not even attempting to get a good natural sound - it's just "turn all the dials to 11 on that kick mic"
  5. Z

The Black Crowes reunion

I wouldn't go that far. The Page/Plant collaboration produced some very special shows and worked wonders for Zeppelin record sales in the 90s. While the absolute purist of Zeppelin fans may have scoffed at the Egyptian ensemble and orchestra accompaniment, the delivery and reinterpretation of...
  6. Z

When the Levee Breaks

Your video never shows Tony or his fingers when he's playing the main riff. Only the parts where he is playing the top 4 with slide or the unaccompanied breakdown part. That being said, I wonder if there's a way to ask Tony what tuning he uses because it sounds great. I would be curious to...
  7. Z

When the Levee Breaks

I'm sure it works for you and yes I agree there are ways to kind of play it in standard tuning as well. But Jimmy Page is on record stating he slowed the recording down a half a step. Open G gets you to what you hear on the album. On his 12 string, what you hear is him mostly playing the...
  8. Z

When the Levee Breaks

What is your source for this info? I was led to believe for decades that its a 12 string tuned to open G. I've played it hundreds of times, open G is what works best. There is no doubt it's a 12 string as well. Likely Page's Fender XII.
  9. Z

When the Levee Breaks

It's in the foyer room of the Headley Grange underneath a staircase with a high ceiling but you get the idea. Page didn't necessarily know before hand that the acoustics would be so reverberating in that spot. It was when Bonham's tech set up the drums in that area and was tuning them that...
  10. Z

When the Levee Breaks

Open G. But the recording was slowed a half step (and then possibly more at some parts), and we hear it as F#. The few times they played it live, open G as well.
  11. Z

Man, I love Warren Haynes......

Perhaps the hardest working man in rock and roll guitar history.
  12. Z

When the Levee Breaks

This is one of those Zeppelin tracks that you could listen to 100 times, yet still hear something "new" the 101st time.
  13. Z

Joe bonamassa on Jimmy page

Here, this guy seems to have it down almost spot on perfect if not just about perfect. Notice this is almost note for note and timing/execution. What about this is "clammy" or "sloppy"?
  14. Z

Sorry, I'm just not with you on this. Not even a little bit.
  15. Z

Well then we will have to disagree based on our opinions, and that is perfectly fine.
  16. Z

Pretty sure Joe B. himself would laugh at that.
  17. Z

The point of my comment is that maybe you are hearing that particular solo break as sloppy because it doesn't align with your vision of what it ought to be. Have you considered that maybe you just don't understand what's being done here and you default to the "sloppy" description because you've...
  18. Z

Perhaps you should play and record the Heartbreaker solo and post it so we can see how it should be done!
  19. Z

Maybe, maybe not. But I think it's worth noting that Page is quoted as stating he stopped "practicing" guitar after 1973 because he intentionally wanted to convey that instant spontaneity. He always felt that the "in the moment" delivery was always the best representation - as in something...
  20. Z

Joe Bonamassa is correct -- but to an extent. There are many instances of Page's live playing that so many people consider to be sloppy. But for me personally, having literally studied the guy's playing since I was 13 years old, I hear him playing exactly what he wants to play the way he...
  21. Z

Did the guys in Zep sing backing vocals in concert?

Rarely, but yes sometimes. - Page usually added a light harmony vocal to the refrain of Whole Lotta Love. - Pretty sure it was Plant/Page/JPJ together on the "ahhh ahhhh" at the end of Thats the Way in 71/72/75 - Bonham provided backing vocal on Bron yr Aur Stomp in 72/73 and then Page did in...
  22. Z

When did "You guys sound like Zeppelin!" become and insult?

90% of the issue for me is that it's impossible to not take the singer as a full on joke. The other 10% is that it's a little too "school of rock" ish for my liking. But still good for them. They have people's attention that's for sure.
  23. Z

Suggestions to "soundproof" music room

I can verify that this company has great stuff. The absorption sheets work wonders. https://www.audimute.com/
  24. Z

David Crosby on Alec Baldwin: his statements which broke up CSN/Y; his POV on The Doors

I mildly like the Doors and like CSN/Y better. But something tells me that David Crosby would love it if the world "truly understood" that he was the most important rock and roller that ever existed. I could be wrong, but that sure is how he comes off. He wrote what - like 5 or 6 songs that...
  25. Z

New Tedeschi Trucks Band

I think Derek Trucks is one of THE guitarists to see live of this generation. A very rare and special talent. If you haven't seen TTB, you should go on that principle alone because he is incredible. That all being said, I feel like TTB - while fun, dance able, and feel-good vibe is never a bad...