• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. P

Do you like Tweed, Tremolo, Reverb type amps?

I'm designing a new amp and am wondering what people prefer: Please vote for your favorite configuration Tweed style - no effects Tremolo only Reverb only Tremolo and Reverb (both)
  2. P

Texas Heat -- 150W speaker for a 18W amp?

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Emminence Texas Heat - nice cleans and smooth distortion. I have a custom amp with a pair of EL84 for about 18 watts (it's similar to an Vox AC15 or Matchless Spitfire). My concern is that the speaker is way over-rated for the power of the amp...
  3. P

anyone recommend Tube Amp Doctor tubes?

TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) tubes are slightly more expensive than other tubes. Prices for a matched pair are: Sovtek $18 JJ, Peavey $22 TAD $28 Groove Tubes $32 What sets the TAD EL84 apart from other tubes is its heavy duty construction, featuring a thick glass envelope as well as premium cathode...
  4. P

Superbowl -- why does Bruce sound so flat?

I heard the exact same mix with REO Speedwagon on Soundstage last night on PBS. What's up? Is it excessive compression? Could it be that Comcast is transmitting low quality audio? PS Actually, Bruce sounds great, but the guitar sounds are flat, instead of full and bold. Some of the other...
  5. P

Bruce Springsteen Halftime Show (MERGED)

I heard the exact same mix with REO Speedwagon on Soundstage last night on PBS. What's up? Is it excessive compression? Could it be that Comcast is transmitting low quality audio? PS Actually, Bruce sounds great, but the guitar sounds are flat, instead of full and bold. Some of the other...
  6. P

How to make mega-$$$ in the amp biz!!

Check out this web site: http://www.marshall.com !!!
  7. P

put a Twin in the car trunk or back seat?

In a small car, do you prefer to put a large amp (e.g. Fender Twin) into the trunk or in the back seat? Getting a heavy amp into the trunk can be physically challenging, plus the amp is large, which is a problem with small trunks. Putting the amp in the back seat is much easier, but it's not...
  8. P

is single-ended the secret to touch response?

In my quest for tone, I've designed and built several push-pull amps (6V6, EL84, 7868 and 6AK6 output tubes), and have tried several types of coupling caps (orange drops, Mallory yellows, paper-in-oil, teflon and vintage). My latest build is a 1 watt single-ended 6AK6 amp that I call the Tweed...
  9. P

What's your favorite circuit type?

I thought it might be interesting to see what type of circuit people desire in a tube amp. - True point-to-point does not use a circuit board. The components are soldered directly to the tube sockets or terminal strips. This was common in very old amps (circa 1950). - Turret boards are those...