• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. KBN

I like the Way Huge Fat Sandwich. What else would I like?

I'm really digging the Fat Sandwich. It really shines in the mix and has just the right amount of splat and fuzz with good mid content. There's kind of an overdrive-y character in there with the distortion that I like. Looking for a few suggestions for pedals that share some similarities, but...
  2. KBN

Transparent Humbuckers?

I have an SG with the 498t and 490r. I have struggled with them and have swapped mags and adjusted them every which way. I have unoriented A5 in the 498t and an A4 in the 490r. MUCH better than stock, but they still impart so much of their own sound over the natural sound of the guitar. I have...
  3. KBN

I un-modded my DS-1 and I realized...

... that Boss knew what they were doing all along. I modded my DS-1 years ago after reading Brian Wampler's Premier Guitar article about it. I tried a bunch of different things with varying levels of success and then put it away. Pulled it out recently and couldn't find my notes about what I...
  4. KBN

How does Way Huge Fat Sandwich compare to EMMA Reezafratzitz?

So I have an EMMA Reezafratzitz 2 and really love it. It is the best distortion box I've ever used. However, I'm looking for something a little more overdrive-y at the moment. I thought about going back to a Zvex Distortron, but am interested in the Fat Sandwich as well. Can anyone compare /...
  5. KBN

Help me choose pickups for my SG.

I have a 2007 SG with the 498t/490r set. Volume pots have been changed to 500k. I kind of hate the pickups. Sometimes I think I don't hate them, but then I find myself constantly tweaking amp (Reeves Custom 50 & Hitone 2x12) and pedals trying to get things to sound right. How can pickups be thin...
  6. KBN

What is like a Zvex Distortron, but with...

What is like a Zvex Distortron, but with tighter bass and a tad more mids? The Distortron is great and all, but it can be a little wooly and scooped. I really like the feel of it and the general voice of it is pretty great, but I am left wanting more focus I guess. In case it matters, I...
  7. KBN

Overdrives without diode clipping?

So the only drive pedals I am getting along with now are a Zvex Distortron and Subdecay Liquid Sunshine. They have made my diode clipping overdrives seem obsolete. I am not looking for an argument about diode clipping. I am just looking for recommendations of overdrives with cascaded gain...
  8. KBN

Hiwatt guys, Please help me choose a low/med gain overdrive.

Ok, so I am playing a 335 into Reeves C50 into a Hitone 2x12 and I am in the market for a new low to medium gain overdrive. I am not trying to sound like Gilmour or Townshend (I'm not against their tones, just don't have them as a goal). The number 1 requirement is that it needs to sound...
  9. KBN

Barber LTD SR, but with more gain?

What would you recommend? A buddy of mine has the LTD SR and I really like everything about it except I would like to have 50% more gain available.
  10. KBN

Tell me about the clean channel on a Shiva.

I was playing a friend's EL34 Shiva today and I am really digging on the clean channel. The rest of the amp is nice as well, but running some dirt boxes into the front of the clean channel was really doing it. What is this channel based on? Is there any amps out there that are basically the...
  11. KBN

To those of you who love the Emi Tonker...

Please help me out here. What kind of music are you playing and what kind of cab do you have them in? Also what amp and pedals are you using? The reason I ask is that I just put two used Tonkers in a Mojo oversized marshall style 2x12 and I am running a Reeves Custom 50 into it. I am using...
  12. KBN

What do you do with blown speakers?

I have a couple of Carvin british series speakers that have voice coils that are scraping. (I guess I learned my lesson when it comes to playing bass through guitar speakers...:jo) What would you do with these things? I don't imagine its worth having someone recone them, or is it? If they...
  13. KBN

Is there a way to mod an overdrive to pull the mids out a bit?

I am running an SD-1 that I have modified a bit and an EMMA Reezafratzitz. The SD-1 has too much mid range compared to the Reeza, is there a way to change that? I have googled it a bit and haven't come up with anything definative.
  14. KBN

So I just moved my rig into a different room and...

...And it is ridiculous how much better it sounds. I was starting to think I needed different tubes or speakers or pickups or.... Etc, etc. Nope, I needed to move it to a better sounding room. With always talking about the gear it is easy to forget about the environment that the gear is in.
  15. KBN

In praise of the SD-1

Well I feel foolish. I have owned dozens of overdrives (not as many as some around here...), many of them costing well over $200 and I just recently picked up a Boss SD-1 that does amazing things for $30. With my setup and what I am going for, I can't imagine anything doing it better. I...
  16. KBN

What guitar is Buddy Merrill playing here?

I just saw a clip of Buddy Merrill playing a most interesting guitar and this is the only picture from this performance that I could find. Curious if anyone knows what he is playing.
  17. KBN

A question of design philosophy for pedal builders and modders...

A little background to the question... So I have just recently started playing around with modding pedals, specifically my DS-1 (due in large part to Brian Wampler's article in premier guitar this last winter). So I have it sounding pretty damn good with my Reeves 50, but it sounds horrible...
  18. KBN

So I guess I don't like SD Seth Lovers. Help me choose new pickups...

Ok, so I have an Epiphone Dot that has a set of SD Seth Lovers in it. Not really my thing. Not a bad pickup by any means... Just not doing it for me. I have a Washburn HB-35 that has a set of Dimarzio Air Classics and I really, really like them. I would like something similar. I thought...
  19. KBN

Damping a cab...

I just picked up a Mojo marshall style over sized 2x12 with a closed back and it is a little too resonant for me. It is a good sounding cab, but I am playing hard rock so I am looking at adding some damping to the cab. What is the best thing to use and how much should I do? All sides? A...
  20. KBN

Slot venting a cab....?

I have a marshall 1960a that I am thinking of replacing the back panel. There is a thread on the Hiwatt/Reeves cabs that have a slot vent on the bottom of the back panel. I am thinking of trying that with my 1960a. Are there any rules or formulas when doing this? How big of a slot should I...
  21. KBN

I need a NON-true bypass boost. What is available?

Hi, I am looking for a buffer to put at the beginning of my signal chain and I also want a boost pedal at the beginning of the chain to boost my lower output guitars. All the boosts that I have found are true bypass. Let's talk about good boost pedals that have a buffer in them. Thanks.
  22. KBN

True bypass looper with reversable loop order?

I know I have seen these, but I have been searching for about an hour and can't figure out who makes these. I need a 2 loop true bypass box with a switch that will change it from A->B to B->A. Loooper.com had that option, but he isn't building boxes anymore. Any help is appreciated. Keith
  23. KBN

What speakers should I mix with G12T-75s?

Ok, so a quick rundown of my rig. I play 335 style semi-hollow body guitars into a Reeves Custom 50 into a Marshall 1960a cab. I play hard rock and get my overdrive and distortion from pedals. Overall I am very happy with my tone especially if I am playing a room where I can turn the amp up...
  24. KBN

Attenuators with a Hiwatt/Reeves?

I am running a Reeves Custom 50. I borrowed a Marshall Power Brake from a buddy of mine and I like it pretty well on the first couple of attenuation settings. In my forum searching, there was a fair amount of talk about how different amps sound better with different attenuators. So this...