• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. P

Barber Gain Changer with smoother top end?

I love my Gain Changer as a low gainer - incredibly transparent and really the closest to an extension of my amp that I’ve gotten from a pedal in terms of feel and responsiveness. I just picked up a new Danocaster S and am really liking the GC vibe through that guitar, to the point that I’m...
  2. P

Do Electric Guitars "Break In"?

I recently took delivery of a new Danocaster S-style. In Dan's final email after I confirmed delivery, he noted: "as you play it, you will notice that it will “open up” over the next couple months and become a bit more 3D" Clearly, Dan's a guy who knows a guitar as well as anyone. I already...
  3. P

NGD - The last of the Danocasters! '54 Strat relic / lots of pics!

Well, maybe not THE last - but one of them! As many of you know, Dan recently announced that he's winding things down at Danocaster. I was lucky enough to have put my deposit down a few months before the cutoff date, and just took delivery of this beauty today. I don't buy guitars often (this...
  4. P

Has anyone modified a Strat pickguard to move the volume control?

For the past 10 years I've played a G&L Legacy and recently picked up a Strat. I had never noticed it, but G&L actually subtly moved the volume knob a bit further away from the strings. My playing style has evolved on this guitar, 335s, and Teles, where this isn't an issue. I'm fine with the...
  5. P

Barely audible Strat middle pickup...diagnosis?

As some of you may have seen in my other thread, I recently was given a Clapton strat with Lace Sensors and the TBX/mid boost circuit. The neck and bridge pickups function normally, but the middle pickup barely has any output. It's audible through an amp, but only when the knobs are dimed and...
  6. P

NGD - Clapton Strat and a "Closet Classic" Story

The family of one of my close childhood friends is moving out of their home next month. My friend's father had sadly passed a few years ago - he was a guitar enthusiast, and much of his collection had been left untouched in the basement since his passing. Given the need to clean out the house...
  7. P

If I Like My Barber Gain Changer, then...

I really dig my Barber Gain Changer - the transparency, dynamics, and clarity are awesome. I use it as a low gain boost for adding a touch of grind and hair, and I have a Direct Drive for higher gain stuff. I'm struggling to find a pedal for the middle ground between the two. I have a...
  8. P

What does "headroom" mean in reference to overdrive pedals?

I get the concept of headroom when referring to a guitar amplifier - how much output can be produced before clipping. I've seen a lot of pedals manuals mentioning "increased headroom" when run over 9V. A pedal is a preamp clipping device by design, so what does this exactly mean? I have a...
  9. P

New Delay Day & EHX Memory Man + Memory Boy Review/Comparison

I've been using the same delay for at least ten years - a battered little Guyatone MD3 I got back when I was in high school. I recently have wanted to add more texture into my rig and decided an analog delay with some modulation would be the perfect way to both improve my delay tone and add...
  10. P

K-Line Truxton (Tele) Demo

I've had this guitar for about a year and finally had a free moment to throw down a quick video/demo... T6-6BWtkDE4 Only had access to an iPhone, so not the finest recording you'll hear, but a decent demonstration of what the guitar can do
  11. P

Broken headstock! What should I expect for repair cost?

Unfortunately my Heritage 535 took a tumble over the weekend and ended up with the dreaded broken headstock. It's actually still more or less playable - the E, A, and D strings are a bit floppy and buzzy. It's probably not too bad as far as breaks go, but wanted to get some insight as far as...
  12. P

NGD - K-Line Truxton

I placed my order for this K-Line Truxton a few months ago and Chris delivered a great guitar right on schedule! I like a more traditional look and tone, but never get along with the 7.25" radius and vintage fretwire, so Chris' neck specs with a 10" radius and a bit bigger wire were prefect. I...
  13. P

A couple Tele questions - vintage wiring and pine as a body wood?

I'm on the hunt for a Tele, and went to play a few yesterday as I try to narrow down specs and other aspects I may like. I was able to get my hands on an AVRI 62 Tele Custom, 4 CS Teles, and an LSL. 1) A few of the guitars had absolutely dead sounding neck pickups, and what seemed to be...
  14. P

How do you pick which builder to go with?

I'm considering commissioning a Tele-type within a few months. In the case of a guitar based on the common shapes (Strat, Tele, 335, LP), there are a number of builders who can make what you want. However, there are challenges to picking the builder. With small builder guitars, it is hard...
  15. P

Apartment Dwellers - what is your setup?

For those of us who are more volume or space constrained, I'm curious what you're playing out of. I'm in sort of a lucky situation now where my current apartment is located so that I don't share walls with anyone, so I've been able to keep my DRRI. I can't crank it all the time, but on a...
  16. P

Thoughts on the Malekko 616? How does it compare to the older ones?

Considering getting a new delay - I'm currently using a Guyatone MD3 that I've had for awhile, but I've realized that I'd like something warmer and richer sounding and I'd like to have modulation. Don't really need the longer delay times a digital offers very often. The PGS demo of the...
  17. P

Who has swapped pickups in their G&L Legacy?

Question for G&L Legacy owners who have swapped pickups, particularly those who have put in vintage-oriented single coils - how would you describe the sound with the stock G&L pickups relative to the new pickups? To me the G&L is very much in the Strat family but does have a more modern...
  18. P

Managing humidity w/ no case?

I'm mostly an electric player but have been trying to make an effort to play more acoustic - I have a Taylor Big Baby. It seems like as the seasons/humidity change the action lifts up and gets pretty unplayable. I'd rather not have to keep taking it to the tech; I'm probably just going to...
  19. P

Who here has swapped pickups on their G&L Legacy?

If you have, I have the following questions: 1: Why did you do it? 2: What did you change to? 3: As best you can, how can you DESCRIBE the change? I am just curious. I like how mine sounds, but it's one of those things where you never know until you try it...particularly since the stock G&L...
  20. P

Barber Direct Drive demo video with G&L & Heritage guitars

Wanted to get a decent quick video illustrating a range of sounds with different settings and guitars. It's only macbook built in audio, but it does capture the sound of the pedal fairly well in my opinion. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-7-nsHpBA
  21. P

Headstrong vs. Swart vs. Carr - what say you?

I am considering options for a new amp. I currently own a Fender DRRI which I like, but am moving into an apartment and need to downsize - but I don't want to give up tone. At this point, most little tube amps I have played don't excite me at all, from the Champ 600 to the Orange AD5 even to...
  22. P

What kind of tubes are you guys liking in your DRRIs?

It's about time to retube my DRRI for the first time. I bought this amp used about two years ago and the previous owner had just retubed and rebiased with JJ 6V6s and JJs in the preamp with the exception of what looks like a NOS JAN Philips 12AT7 for the reverb. The amp is making some unusual...
  23. P

Need suggestions - a good small clean amp?

Hello everyone, I'm just about to graduate college and move into a city and start my first job. Which means I need to reevaluate my amp setup - I currently use a Fender DRRI and pedals which is a good compromise for both playing out and at home. I'm guessing with a fairly busy non-music job...
  24. P

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power - worth it?

I am considering purchasing a PP2. I've got a modest board - tuner, RMC Wah, BYOC Tri-Boost, A/B switch, Barber Direct Drive, and a Guyatone delay. Right now I am using a daisy chain and I do run into a bit of noise, particularly with the overdrive and the boost in germanium mode...
  25. P

G&L Legacy vs. modded Squier Strat - come test your ears!

Thought this might be interesting on its own as people seem to do these from time to time. I've also posted this at Harmony Central. I'm very curious to see if the two forums come to different conclusions. :munch Please don't read other posts or look at the poll before you vote. It is a fact...