• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. ColdFrixion

FM3 incoming: how to make the most of my test drive?

I'm not familiar with your background, but I assume you understand that the QSC (and headphones) isn't necessarily going to sound like an amp and unmiked cab but rather an amp and miked cab through full-range speaker(s) (and headphones)?
  2. ColdFrixion

Audio comparisons today are pretty much useless...

Whether feel is something that needs to be taken into consideration depends on the value a player attributes to it. A player that places a high value on it would be wise to take it into consideration, whereas I see no reason why a player that doesn't would need to. My comment was in response...
  3. ColdFrixion

WOW! This new Preamp is the bomb! Tube amp for modelers!!!

If you go to JK Amplifiers, the video at the bottom of the page showcases some before/after comparisons.
  4. ColdFrixion

Well, and some amps (amp models) have a different feel than others. True. There's likely at least some confirmation bias at play. The blind tests I've seen involving several different modelers and real amps tends to indicate that players often have a very difficult time determining which is...
  5. ColdFrixion

I replied because (1) this is a forum and (2) I have an opinion about the issue. If you only want opinions that agree with yours, then just say so in the OP.
  6. ColdFrixion

It's not a thing to me. I couldn't care less about feel. For me, playing guitar is a means to an end, not an end in itself.
  7. ColdFrixion

My son ran into Rev. Billy G. last night!!!

Mr. Gibbons is an adult and can make his own decisions.
  8. ColdFrixion

I really hate the color of a gold top

It looks like an open casket at a funeral.
  9. ColdFrixion

I really hate the color of a gold top

Open casket?
  10. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

That's where blind testing comes in. I don't have a problem with that opinion, though there are people who hold a contrary view, and I don't think their opinion is any less valid than anyone else's. Of course. That's why I said accuracy isn't necessarily the absolute qualitative measure of...
  11. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Nothing in my post is inconsistent with that point. I don't think anyone is losing sleep. That said, perhaps the 2% that's missing is a characteristic that you and/or others consider so negligible as to be irrelevant; however, assuming someone else actually can hear the difference and...
  12. ColdFrixion

Black Sabbath Mob Rules Tone

Like I said, the main difference between your tone and the original is that yours has a lot more high-end fizz. That's really the main difference. If you want to verify that, simply EQ match the original to your recording and you'll see/hear exactly what I'm talking about. Will it be identical...
  13. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Accuracy may not be the absolute qualitative measure of tonal bliss; however, tube amps are still widely considered the gold standard for myriad guitar players, which is precisely why modeling developers continue to strive toward accurately (and authentically) reproducing their sound. In my...
  14. ColdFrixion

Black Sabbath Mob Rules Tone

You can easily get much closer to the studio recording by using a very steep high cut filter set to around 5.6 kHz. To my ears, the main difference between your version and the original is yours has a lot more fizz.
  15. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

I might agree if I heard a proper A/B.
  16. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

I'm curious to see how the frequency spectrum of some proper A/B's compare.
  17. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

I couldn't hear a difference, but they're not re-amping a DI through the QC and reference amp, either. So far, it sounds really good; however, it's hard to tell just how accurate it is without a proper A/B.
  18. ColdFrixion

Kemper have been working at something...

Look at the picture. Rig Manager is already open on the laptop.
  19. ColdFrixion

Mikko

In my experience, one benefit to including the capability to load third-party IR's is the capacity to combine your favorites with the native speaker(s)/mic positioning functionality of the software(eg. Torpedo Wall of Sound).
  20. ColdFrixion

So got fractal fm3 invite

My forte is matching recorded tones, so if you need pointers on matching recordings of your amps, I can help.
  21. ColdFrixion

So got fractal fm3 invite

In my opinion, Tone Matching is one of the most powerful tone-shaping tools in the Axe-Fx III's arsenal, and I find it immensely useful. I've gotten absolutely outstanding results using it. In fact, I've used it to match some of my favorite Kemper profiles. Is it worthwhile to match your amps...
  22. ColdFrixion

Why does my guitar sound like crap?

Your inexperience as a player is likely a big factor. You can describe the tone all day long, but an audio sample of your playing and a clip of the tone you're going for would be infinitely more helpful than a description.
  23. ColdFrixion

This is among the worst advice on here

Most beginners are going to use recorded tones from their favorite songs as a frame of reference, and miked tones are better suited to modelers because that's what they excel at emulating. Given the variety of amps and IR's, there's a far larger palette of tones available with most modelers than...
  24. ColdFrixion

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

I think the jury's still out on the QC's capture quality, but assuming it's not notably better than the Kemper, then I'd generally agree. If the QC's capture quality is superior to profiling to the point of being empirically indistinguishable from the original amp, then it's possible the best...