• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. JES1680

Case for 1930’s Gibson L-37?

I had a 1940 L37 and kept it in a semi rigid acoustic gig bag, can't remember the brand though.
  2. JES1680

Cold weather shipping - dont open for a day?

My friend opened his special order Ric bass as soon as it arrived on a -10F day in MN and watched in horror as the entire finish checked. He was devastated. 40 is fine but when these things spend time below zero WAIT!
  3. JES1680

Pickups for a Hamer Studio

My go to is the Dimarzio 36th Aniv. By far the favorite bucker I've tried, and I've tried a LOT!
  4. JES1680

Gibson SG guys? Question.

It's a little weird at first. I usually use smooth nylon straps that let me move the guitar around, but on my SG because of the neck heavy aspect, I use one with a suede backing that grips my shoulder more.
  5. JES1680

Swart AST Pro Speakers

Interesting thread, I just picked up an STR that has a Tone Tubby ceramic in it and I love it. Haven't tried anything else yet.
  6. JES1680

I never really liked acoustic guitars

Hard as I tried I never bonded with accoustics. Recently sold my last one a 1941 L37 which I got a smokin deal on and was a great guitar, but I just never played it.
  7. JES1680

Morgan AC20 speaker glued in?? (Speaker Removal Question)

More than likely its just that the gasket has fused to the baffle. This happens a lot especially if the baffle has been cleared or painted. Many times the finish isn't fully dry when the speaker is installed, and it sticks to it. I've had more than a few amps that I've gone to swap and had to...
  8. JES1680

Swart STR Tweed Cleans? (vs. SF Fender Musicmaster Amp)

The cleans are pretty much in the tweed camp. More mid focused and percussive than a blackface type amp. I have an older version of the STR no extra gain stage and running a Tone Tubby speaker which keeps it cleaner / louder. Great sounding amp and sounds much bigger than you would expect.
  9. JES1680

WTB Looking for another Kramer

This one used to be mine. Really great guitar. Pete will ship. :) https://www.lavonnemusic.com/product/used-kramer-electric/
  10. JES1680

Which Rosewood Necked PRS?

Thanks everyone. Kiwi - I read through that thread good info. David M - I thought about a McSoapy, but I currently have a PRS Custom 22 3 P90 so I'm good there really looking for a humbucker. I've had a love hate thing going with PRS I like them but typically they don't stick around too...
  11. JES1680

Which Rosewood Necked PRS?

So I've always wanted a rosewood necked PRS, but need some help or at least opinions :) I tend to like wrap tail bridges but would be open to a PRS trem I like a big neck but not really wide think Nocaster, R4, R8, etc... I know PRS doesn't make anything that big but I played a Tremonti...
  12. JES1680

Mesa 112 Cabinets

I have a couple of Mesa open back 1x12s with 90's V30s that I used to make a mini stack with my JP-2c. Sound great, light and easy to move around. Don't miss having a sealed cab at all.
  13. JES1680

Divided By 13 Small Combo

This ^^
  14. JES1680

Thinking of buying a vintage Boogie 1-12 combo MkI or MkIIb

Depends on what you are looking for in the amp. Cleans I'd go I or IIb. If you are in it for the OD channel its hard to beat a MKIII for price vs capabilities. My preference is to have reverb, simu-class, and GEQ
  15. JES1680

What Tube Amp Had The Sweetest Clean Tone You Ever Heard?

This surprised me a bit based on the speakers, but remains my favorite. 93 Matchless Clubman>Marshall 4x12 loaded with Heritage Greenbacks and M75 Scumbacks. Guitars all sound great but my ES330 is probably tops.
  16. JES1680

Top Hat Or Matchless

The fact that you can't audition these amps is tough. I'd try and find an on-line retailer that has a return policy, or find them used on the Guitar Center Web Site They all have their own sound / take on the voxy thing and may or may not be to your liking. I will say that Top Hat and...
  17. JES1680

Sold Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie

Mint with padded cover and foot switch. Price break if you are within a couple hours of MSP. $1650 with the original Weber Alnico Classic $1750 with the Creamback Alnico Both shipped and PP in CONUS No trades please.
  18. JES1680

Attenuating a 71 JMP 50

I'd go Alex / Scumback. IMO they work very well with 4 hole Marshalls. I have 2. I also have an Aracom and a Powerstation II. for my 73 1987 I liked the Alex the best and hey it's the cheapest especially used.
  19. JES1680

PSA: Always have GC open used amplifier cabs!

Yep, bought a Bogner OS 2x12 from GC as I needed a 2x12 cab quick. Got it home and hated it with my amp. Popped it open and no V30s.... Someone had put Seventy 80s in it. Promptly returned that one.
  20. JES1680

Speakers for Mesa Mark series

The EV12 in my MKIII is NO FIZZ. Works great with the older MK amps. Prefer it over the Mesa 90 and V30s.
  21. JES1680

Is there an affordable non-reverse Firebird in existence that isn't a Gibson?

I wasn't looking for a Firebird, but came across one of these studios used for $700.00 it's a hellova guitar that punches way above it's weight price wise. I've seen P90s and Humbuckers for between $700-$900.
  22. JES1680

My ‘Class A’ Boogie opinion

I almost always run my MKIII in "class A" with EL34s.
  23. JES1680

The Official MATCHLESS Thread

Grab that local Chieftain. I've had all the Sampson Era models and had trouble bonding with the DC and Lightning over the long haul. The spitfire was an exception. The big bottle amps Chieftain and Clubman are much more to my taste. Still get the chime, but the Clubman cleans are my all time...
  24. JES1680

Which 2x12” Cabinet for Mesa JP-2C?

I happened to find 2 matching 90's 1x12 open back Mesa cabs with well worn V30s. Makes a great little stack. I also have an over sized 1x12 Mesa cab with the C90 and it sounds a bit more modern to my ears. I prefer the V30s for the JP-2C. Knowing that I'd go with the vertical 2x12 with V30s.
  25. JES1680

Sampson Era Clubman Value?

I believe 93 is the first year for the Clubman. I was looking recently and yeah prices are all over the place. You will pay more for a Sampson era as I did, but I prefer the cosmetics over the newer stuff. This is my 93 fantastic amp.