• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. CyberFerret

Who still loves the tones of the "vintage" Axe-FX Ultra? (Zeppelin content)

Thank you! Yeah, it is a pity that all his gig work has currently dried up with the pandemic lockdowns. He's been busy writing new material for his first EP and practicing stuff like this and posting on social media until he can get out there again.
  2. CyberFerret

Who still loves the tones of the "vintage" Axe-FX Ultra? (Zeppelin content)

My old Axe-FX Ultra is still going strong after nearly 12 years. Now handed down to my son who does this sort of thing with it:
  3. CyberFerret

Before the busking stopped... My son's cover of "Fast Car"

Thanks for the kind feedback guys! Good question - he busks to supplement the normal gigs he gets around town. Usually he only does it for a couple of hours a day otherwise his voice gets hoarse after all that singing in the open, smoggy air. On a good day he can earn around $200 (he's had a...
  4. CyberFerret

Before the busking stopped... My son's cover of "Fast Car"

My son was earning his living busking on the streets of Melbourne, but we flew him back home in Northern Australia last week for some isolation time with the whole family. This was him about 3 weeks ago on the streets of Melbourne at one of his last busking performances that he was allowed to...
  5. CyberFerret

My son just launched his first original single...

Hey all, I've posted some of my son's cover work on here in the past, to great feedback. Just wanted to let everyone know that he has just release his first original single today, and it is available to check out here: https://ampl.ink/Lam34 This song has been released in the lead up to him...
  6. CyberFerret

Better with age - Colin Hay

Loved Men at Work, love Colin Hay even more. Seen him live in intimate acoustic settings a couple of times, and even met him after a couple of gigs. Nicest, humble guy. I get the feeling he still carries a lot of resentment and anger over the whole copyright thing with "Downunder" and the...
  7. CyberFerret

Alternative vocal and guitar solo mix of Van Halen's "Running with the Devil"

EDIT: Oops, looks like the video got pulled for some reason. For those that missed it, at first, it sounded like the actual take that is on VH1, but there were bits where DLR sounds like he was pushing it a little too much and varied some of his lyrical yells. The final take on the album seems...
  8. CyberFerret

Couple of dudes hear "Sultans of Swing" for the first time...

That was pretty much my take on it. I've heard the song a million times myself. Heck, even covered it hundreds of times in several bands, but listening along with these guys was like discovering a new perspective on the song. A bit like staring at a painting that has been hanging in your...
  9. CyberFerret

Couple of dudes hear "Sultans of Swing" for the first time...

For me, I grew up with the music of Mark Knopfler, and he is in my top 5 influences, so I really can't get my head around people who are into music but have never heard this classic song. Full credit to these guys though, they were really open minded and it was great to hear their feedback and...
  10. CyberFerret

Joe Bonamassa on Howard Stern

Jade MacRae and Juanita Tippins - both Aussie lasses with great pipes. And when he has Mahalia Barnes (daughter of Aussie rock legend Jimmy Barnes) up there as well, the 3 of them provide some of the best backing vocals I have ever heard.
  11. CyberFerret

Broken finger = loss of passion for playing guitar?

Thank you so much again to everyone for the messages of encouragement. I was surprised to see so many other who went through far worse injuries or setbacks and still manage to keep enjoying playing guitar. It really put things in perspective for me and made me realise that things aren't really...
  12. CyberFerret

Thanks everyone for the encouraging messages and support. And to those TGPers going through hand injuries - I can fully sympathise and hope that you are all back to full playing capacity soon! Haha - Thanks Bob! I have been doing just that, though pouring a pot of tea out with my injured hand...
  13. CyberFerret

I've played guitar for 40+ years of my life now, and it was always been my refuge from life's stresses and something I have really enjoyed doing. About 2 months ago, I had a fall in which my right hand took most of the brunt, and after 2 weeks of walking around putting up with the pain...
  14. CyberFerret

So I went to Wildwood Guitars... and then this happened...

Congrats OP! What a nice surprise. I visited Wildwood Guitars myself last month (all the way from Australia! :) ) - Must say it was one of the best guitar store experiences I've had. The guys there let me play a $10,000 Froggy Bottom acoustic and were incredibly helpful and kind. I am...
  15. CyberFerret

Dire Straits first album.... discuss

It may be an urban myth, but I seem to recall a story that the A&R guys signed Dire Straits on the spot when they heard them play "Down To The Waterline" at a club. IIRC they thought that song would be the super hit, and they didn't even give "Sultans" any consideration. I must admit that when...
  16. CyberFerret

What are the greatest Dire Straits songs?

YES. This for me. "Alchemy" is about one of my favourite live albums ever, and got plenty of rotations when I was growing up. Other than this, "Down To The Waterline" was one of the first DS songs I heard and it remains a hard favourite. Outside of DS, of you are talking Knopfler songs, the...
  17. CyberFerret

Joe Bonamassa and Eric Gales trading solos

I am so glad I managed to go on the "Keeping The Blues Alive" Mediterranean cruise a few weeks back. So much talent on the boat, but one of the highlights for me was watching Joe B and Eric trading solos when Eric guested on Joe's show. (Joe then guested on Eric's show later for even more...
  18. CyberFerret

Thread formerly titled: Carol-Ann amps shutting down?

Bummed to hear this. I've had a Triptik for many years that I bought from a TGPer. Alan gave great service. I got the TGP member to send the amp to Alan to convert for 240v for me here is Australia. When the amp got to him, he found out that the chassis got damaged in shipping. Alan fixed it...
  19. CyberFerret

Domenico Scarlatti K141

Nice work! D. Scarlatti was one of my favourite Baroque composers when I used to study classical guitar as a kid. I've just started playing it again after many decades away, and one of my first efforts was K322 (An easy one to get back into it). :D
  20. CyberFerret

Possible ruined finish due to bug spray

Bug spray is totally banned in this household. It is nasty stuff. Thankfully, no damaged guitars, but a few years ago I held a poker night on our (open air) deck around our dining table. Being tropical North Australia, everyone was in shorts, but there were plenty of mosquitos and other bugs...
  21. CyberFerret

Danocaster Shutting Down

Genuine Question: Have you ever run a small or solo business? If so, have you ever experienced burnout? I have, and it is a terrible thing - especially if you come up against it more than once. Each time, it is a lot harder to come back. Nothing worse than not being able to face something...
  22. CyberFerret

"Somebody To Love" Queen cover by my son...

Hey I just wanted to pop back in and thank you for this comment. My son was going through a rough patch while trying to build his music career recently (clash of egos with other artists, being made to sing unauthentic songs etc.). One of the things I kept telling him was "Be authentic and sing...
  23. CyberFerret

Best Inlay Design Of All Time

I don't think I've met an inlay that I haven't liked yet. I know you said no custom, but my favourite ever inlay is this one done my David Myka on my custom made Dragonfly. It is my late dad's name in Tamil script (my family is from Sri Lanka) because I got this guitar made in his memory after...
  24. CyberFerret

Where Streets Have No Name - live clip - set finale

Superb! I would definitely go and see you guys play if you weren't half a world away from me! :)