• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. LJOHNS

Roadworn Strat Owners - did you keep the pickups or upgrade them?

I put a 60’s RW together last year. I swapped out the Tex Amex for PV 59’s. Love them and have no plans to ever change them.
  2. LJOHNS

Will there be a guitar shortage?

No shortage. The market is already flooded with new and used. I hope the price on some of the older classics start to come down as the boomers start dumping them...
  3. LJOHNS

Are younger players turning away from the Les Paul?

I did not read all 36 pages here but I think they are just too expensive for younger folks. Quality of import models is way up compared to just a few years ago and they are way cheaper.
  4. LJOHNS

Are the best strats the more expensive ones???

No. They are all subjective to each individual. I wouldn’t trade my parts caster for a high dollar custom shop. Cost me under $1k with a professional set up.
  5. LJOHNS

Custom USA built electric guitars around $2K ... is there a market ?

Maybe so. That why I have a couple parts casters. I pick the color, neck, pickups, etc.... I can do that for under a grand myself. I don’t know if a new builder could get that off the ground or not. I personally wouldn’t buy one.
  6. LJOHNS

Custom USA built electric guitars around $2K ... is there a market ?

I think the market is already saturated. With the quality of some of the imports going up and the used market flooded with guitars I don’t see how anyone could make a living at it. Now if it is just a hobby for a builder and you want to break even then I say go for it.
  7. LJOHNS

Are current Mexican Fenders as good as US Fenders from 5 years go?

I put a MIM 60s road worn together recently. Used a MIM Robert Cray neck. Dropped in a set of pure vintage 59s and I am in love with it. I had a professional dress and set up done. I have probably played over 100 different Strats off the racks over the years, even custom shops. I wouldn’t...
  8. LJOHNS

Same guitar for jazz and rockabilly? (Neck hum, bridge filtertron?)

Reverend makes some combos like that
  9. LJOHNS

Thoughts on financing guitars?

It’s a personal decision but I would never finance a guitar. The only thing I will finance is a house (mine will be paid off in a couple years) or a portion of a car. The car gets paid off as quickly as possible.
  10. LJOHNS

Robben Ford’s new PRS McCarty * Vintage Cherry*

Love the McCarty!
  11. LJOHNS

Klein Epic '59 vs Fender Pure Vintage '59 Strat pickups

I put a set of pure vintage 59s in my latest Strat build. I used a 60s road worn body and a Robert Cray neck. I sounds like a perfect vintage Strat to me. I highly recommend the Fender pickups.
  12. LJOHNS

Excellent Made In Korea guitars

I have a MIK Gretsch. Not a flaw with it anywhere. I have also owned a Reverend and plan to own more. They are fantastic.
  13. LJOHNS

Older McCarties

I have a 2009 Smokeburst. Nitro with 57/08 pickups. It’s a fantastic guitar. It serves my humbucker needs well. Light weight and resonant. No need for a Les Paul for me.
  14. LJOHNS

Partscaster build questions from a Gibson guy

MIM road worn bodies are Nitro. I built one recently and used a Robert Cray neck. Dropped in a set of 59 pure vintage pickups. My perfect vintage Strat!
  15. LJOHNS

People who insist on their Strat being SSS, what do you use the bridge pickup for?

I use my bridge pick up for rock and roll! Just roll the tone pot back about half and let er rip!
  16. LJOHNS

Gibson Forcing Workers To Work During Co-Vid19

I agree. If more people were prepared and had emergency supplies on hand we would not have had the circus we have seen in the past couple weeks at the stores. I figure half of this county is full of idiots with low education and no common sense. Add this to my previous statements that people...
  17. LJOHNS

Sure, plenty of anecdotal statements - like every one else on here. I get out plenty. I am also an engineer. It is a fact that way too many people are in debt up to eyeballs and have little to no savings.
  18. LJOHNS

This thread is going a lot of different directions. We could debate the health and economics of all this to no end. I will say that most American’s spend more than they have. They buy new cars every few years have all the latest greatest toys etc... and live beyond their means. It really...
  19. LJOHNS

I just cleaned out the garage and am sorting out my fly fishing gear for a trip next weekend. No better self isolation than a trout stream in the beautiful mountains of WV!
  20. LJOHNS

Lookin' for my first "good" Strat: which one?

I went through this process late last year. I bought a 60’s RW body (light weight) and a Robert Cray neck for the 9.5 rad. Swapped the pickups our for a set of pure vintage 59’s and took her in for a full dress and set up. It’s a perfect vintage Strat for me. I couldn’t be happier! Under...
  21. LJOHNS

Do you guys like pink guitars?

Nope
  22. LJOHNS

PRS owners - did you KEEP or CHANGE your PRS Pups?

Keep. 57/08’s in my McCarty sound fantastic.
  23. LJOHNS

Musikraft's 60's Strat Profiles

I recent put a Strat together. I used a MIM Robert Cray neck. It measures .83 at the first and .96 at the 12th. I notice the tapper but find it nearly perfect for me. It is so posed to be an early 60’s profile.
  24. LJOHNS

Acoustasonic Strats

I have zero interest in these. I see how it could be good for live performances in certain settings though.