• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. P

How do you test an attenuator?

Not necessarily. The UA, AFIK, also uses a fixed resistance of 30 ohms.
  2. P

Yet another question on attenuators

He had some parts laying around, and I think he bought the transformers and other small parts online.
  3. P

Thanks for replying everyone. It's a tube amp a friend put together from a kit. It's kind of a clone of an old Marshall JTM 45.
  4. P

Here, I found it. Said Mr Hogy "An attenuator with a load setting and a line out. You can also use a load resistor. I don't want to get into a discussion about attenuators and how safe they are to use. Religious debate is frowned upon on TGP. Instead I'll just tell you what works. For an amp...
  5. P

Once again I'll ask TGP. A friend just gave me his old Marshall Powerbrake. It's fully functional and it's OK for what I need - to knock out a few db's when I go out to play, and it gives me a passable tone for practice. Now, the question. It has a 8 - 16 ohms switch. Will it hurt my amp if I...
  6. P

Anybody knows about 3rd Power Hybrid Master?

Hello Everyone, Judging from the YouTube clips I've seen, 3rd Power's Hybrid Master technology is really impressive. Does anybody here know what kind of technology he's using? Is it the same as London Power's power scaling?
  7. P

Stupid noobie question about amps with multiple power tubes?

Exactly Steppin' Wolfe. There is one video of a Morgan Amp where the guy tries out different tubes. The differences, if there are any really, are very subtle. But I think it's very hard judging gear from what you hear on YouTube clips. The best test, imo, is plugging into an amp and hearing...
  8. P

Thanks guys. TGP always delivering the goods. Dr Bob, what I really want is to have an amp that allows me to use different output tubes, and I hope different sounds & feel. I have heard clips of Komet amps, but none address the different tubes issue. So, if anyone here has first-hand experience...
  9. P

Thanks Mike But in the case of the JCM 800 you can't just 'plug and play', right? I mean, you have to have minimal tech skills (not my case) to putz around the internals of the amp?
  10. P

Hello TGP Can anybody explain to me, in simple layman terms, how can Komet amps operate with multiple power tubes? Special transformers? Would it be a feasible mod to an existing amp - say, an old 800? Also, does anybody here have first-hand experience with this kind of amp? Thanks
  11. P

MDF vs Plywood for back panels

This place never ceases to amaze me. In this case I mean it in a good way
  12. P

Weird Thing Happening To A Tube

Thank you guys. I'm taking the amp to a tech. Anything else?
  13. P

Yes, that seems to be the case. But do you have any tips to what caused this? Or is it just a defective tube?
  14. P

Hi, Forgive my ignorance. One of the two power tubes in my amp (6550's) seems to be 'caving in' - it looks like someone put a finger on it and pushed inwards. Also, it's blowing fuses, and twice, when I removed the back plate of the chassis to check if there was anything burnt/broken I saw...
  15. P

Will running through an attenuator all the time ruin my amp?

+1 on what John Philipps said. I was using a Marshall Power Brake with my amp and I did blow something expensive. From now on I'll try pedals and crank the amp when I can.
  16. P

Raezer style cabs for blues/rock?

Hey doc, Could you give more details? What kind of music do yoy play? The volumes you play at? I have an Alessandro Bloodhound which I currently use with a Mesa Thiele 1X12 (EV), but that cab is damn heavy (but not as heavy as the 4X12 I sold :)), and I'm thinking of something lighter but with...
  17. P

Bumpty bumpto. Come on, any more Raezer's edge users out there?
  18. P

Have you guys checked out Leonardo cabs? I think the linke is leonardocabs.com
  19. P

Hey, I just don't want this thread to go dead. Any more info / pix / clips?
  20. P

Doug's Tubes

Anybody got a link to him?
  21. P

Hey crholguin, How about some pictures of your cabs? I'm going through a slipped disc phase and can't schlep the big monsters any more. How 'bout some clips? Say, something simple, like a single line riff and one or two chords, clean and dirty?