• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Search results

1. kmanick

NAD: Landry LS50G3

Congrats! I had an LS30 for a bit, but sold it to another forum member. I loved the amp, very solid build and I got Bill on the phone several times and instant messaged him quite a bit while I had it. Guys like Bill and Scott Splawn are a dying breed. For me the amp didn't have enough of the...
  2. kmanick

A Venerable Vintage Marshall 2x12 Cab

I have an oversized JCM 800 cab from the 80's (an early one that came with the 65's). Sadly by the time I got it the 65's were gone but a pair of very early 75's were in there. not bad but I've got greenbacks in there now, its' actually become my speaker test cab. It's easily the best sounding...
  3. kmanick

Do you keep a backup amp?

^^^^^ this right now all I have is my Splawn and my JVM, but I'm thinking about selling the JVm and getting a Mesa of some sort kind of waiting to see what they come out with this year but I may grab a Mark V or a TC 50 at some point
  4. kmanick

NAD: Mesa Boogie Mark V

congrats probably my next amp as well ( or some kind of Mesa) my Splawn has my Marshall gas covered I miss my old mark IV Funny years ago my rig was a Mark Iv and a 6505+
  5. kmanick

Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

"Just" the 50 watt LOL! my super sport is easily the loudest 50 watter I've ever had. cool can't wait to see what you think about it compared to your former Quick Rod. I Loaded 2 Creamback m-65's into my Mojotone cab last night. Very interested to see if I like them, my greenbacks are starting...
  6. kmanick

I have new power tubes in and in the exact range of the tubes that came out. My problem apparently was the ceramic paper wrapped fuses I was using. I did have a tube red plate on me that caused the initial fuse to blow , but I had Scott on the phone for quite a while on Friday and Saturday and...
  7. kmanick

When I was ordering mine with Scott I had asked him about this. I saw a couple of guys over on Rig-talk really bashing his stuff (maybe Les paul was one of them) he told me they out sourced the soldering for a short window but it was not a disaster but not great either , so they abandoned that...
  8. kmanick

Pete Thorn NAILS early EVH tone in Deep Dive

ya but how many amp manufacturers send out their amps with a pot to control it?
  9. kmanick

Pete Thorn NAILS early EVH tone in Deep Dive

I'm glad someone else is talking about negative feedback. I had a NF pot added to my JVM and man oh man the JVM should come stock with one. As you decrease it (turn the pot clock wise ) the amp really opens up. less compression , more raw in your face sound. Isn't this just how a Marshall...
  10. kmanick

Well he's been excellent with me, granted I did buy it new directly from him, but we've been on the phone and emailing back and forth. I'm getting no attitude at all from him, in fact just the opposite, he's been great helping me diagnose the issue I was having. Answering all types of Speaker...
  11. kmanick

What sour experience was that?
  12. kmanick

Does anyone know if v4 adds anything to the gain channel? Since pulled the Chinese tube that came with and replaced it with the sovtek I feel I lost a little gain
  13. kmanick

Well it just fired up OK, so I may be in the clear, it's looking like the paper wrapped ceramic fuses I was using may be junk. Since I got a hold of some glass ones I've been ok ( now that I've switched out the power tubes one was red plating on me that started this whole mess) fingers crossed. :)
  14. kmanick

I've got some incoming so I'll try it there. I was just online with Scott a minute ago and he told me that with the super sport you do not need to use a balanced tube in V4 the output transformer is purposely not balanced. ...so good to know. I don't know about the other models though.
  15. kmanick

Well so far so good this morning I've been able to cycle on/off 3 times with session of about 20 minutes of playing in between and so far so good. So what are you guys using for preamp tubes? I've got some high gain JJ's coming in and a couple of tung sols. right now I've got a regular JJ in V1...
  16. kmanick

Marshall JVM410H *or* REVV Generator 120 MkII?

the JVM is a pretty cool amp , I've had a 210H since 2014. You guys should go over the JVM forum loads of really useful info over there. I did 3 mods to mine that really makes it killer, on the 410H I would strongly recommend the Negative feedback mod. I have mine on a pot, very simple to do...
  17. kmanick

may be the fuses I've been using. I just got off the phone with Scott (really nice to be able to get directly in touch with the guy that put your amp together) I was using paper wrapped ceramic fuses, I just switched back to glass and so far so good. Frustrating as hell
  18. kmanick

oh and one more thing I noticed today. Some people have complained about getting a good clean sound out of the SuperSport and keeping a good EQ on the gain channel. I've got my EQ set for my gain channel and by setting the gain up to about 2:30 (clock) on the clean channel you get a nice thick...
  19. kmanick

So I may be in the clear i've successfully turned this thing on and off twice now without issue . Fingers crossed. EricB...... I tried the old/ mid cut combo this morning... very nice I had to bump the treble a little bit but it gives a much smoother tone more like a "Satch Boogie" marshall...
  20. kmanick

I've been doing some online digging while the bird is cooking and have found several posts saying that Scott has stated that the SuperSport and the Street Rod do indeed share the same preamp circuit. Isn't the Street rod a just a smaller version of the quick rod. I've played through the Slo 30...
  21. kmanick

the mid shift is a shift to more lows and a cut to the highs. from Scott "changes the mid slope to a lower frequency". I think it's supposed to get you close to a "Nitro" voicing? but I've never played a Nitro. sounds great through my recto cab that has V30's in it. gives me more of a 'Satch...
  22. kmanick

So this came in last week. Fully loaded El34 50 watt Super Sport. mid cut new/old options and something a bit different. I have the solo boost added so I have a 4 button footswitch but I had Scott keep both speaker outs. I like to use 2 2X12 cabs the thing is a beast. I've seen people ask what...
  23. kmanick

Advice on new high gain head?

an older original 5150/6505? the Splawn Nitro is in that ball park as well.
  24. kmanick

Which friedman is closest to a JCM800?

I would think Splawn and Ceriatone will get you closer, maybe Fargen too. Friedmans sound like more modern marshalls to me I was looking for a small box version of an 800 sounding head. The Friedmans didn't do it for me, the Bogner 3534 didn't either. Luckily I have Matts Music near me and he...
  25. kmanick

I never bought it myself, I just noticed it had come on and off a couple of times and when it came back on it was in a different store, so people were buying it and returning it.