• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. gregc

New Gibson AlNiCo Firebird Pickups? Apparently!~

Think they're making these or buying a bunch for the run from one of the known makers? https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSSK4171/Eric-Clapton-1964-Firebird-I
  2. gregc

Louis Electric Buster!

OK, so I'm definitely still in the honeymoon stage with this, but I've owned an awful lot of amps over the past 45 years. I know when I've found a winner. THIS, my friends, is a winner. I'm in love with this amp. I went looking for, and hoping for, a 5E3 type amp with a tad more headroom than...
  3. gregc

GE Smith, Tommy Emmanuel, & Amy Helm

I got to see these folks last night in Guild Hall, East Hampton, NY. Amy opened the show singing and playing mandolin. She sounds fantastic. GE joined in and the two played most of her set together, broken up with interviews-story telling ,etc. This is part of GE's 'Portraits' series that he...
  4. gregc

Your favorite traditional type Firebird pickup?

What say ye? Klein, Novak, Mojo, Duncan, Lollar, Fralin, other? I've got a Gibson CS FB1 that needs one; a good, vintage style one. Also, will these current offerings fit the current route, and would I need new hardware (rings) to mount one? Lots of questions, I know, so thanks in advance.
  5. gregc

So, when did this happen? (feel free to add yours)...

Until recently, I was unaware that you could ask, or that anyone would pay, $500-600 for new pickups. When did that happen?
  6. gregc

Gibsob 335 hunt (and musings)...

I decided I needed a 335 (never owned one, but always loved them). I played a Studio, Figured Top, and a plain dot, back to back to back on Sunday. The 2017 figured top was 'wow' lQQking, but had a lacquer irregularity (defect) on the top, front upper horn and there was something odd with the...
  7. gregc

My EBMM Axis

Here's one I haven't posted. I found this in a GC, appears to be a GC exclusive, made in later '2009, never sold. Tummy relief, cool domed knob and chrome pup covers, hot rod red all around w/ matching headstock. Awesome guitar. Great bite to it. Surprisingly good clean tone and edge of breakup...
  8. gregc

Played the '65 US RI Fender Jazzmaster today

This is a very cool piece! I spent an hour with it plugged into a Germino Lead 55. Surprisingly good pickups, toneful in all positions. You could use this guitar to literally play any style. I had no idea these would be so versatile. Dialing nice cleans, crunch rhythm, and lead tones was very...
  9. gregc

So, I've got this stash of ash........

.... and I'm thinking there should be a good # of bodies in here. It's all from one tree and it been seasoning in the barn for a decade. I'd like to get it in the hands of a good luthier. Anyone know how to go about finding interested parties? I figured this may be a start..... I have my friend...
  10. gregc

Digging the 24" scale lately....

I've been enjoying shorter scale guitars as of late. I picked up a couple the past few months. They are EZ on the hands, I must say.... if not a bit more 'touch sensitive' to be honest. It's all good. So, here's my two... feel free to share yours**** 50TH Anniversary Jaguar-Burgandy Mist .... I...
  11. gregc

Fender Jag guys.....

What's the scoop on the 50th anniversary models? I once had a '66, and I'm getting the bug again. Thanks!
  12. gregc

how did I forget !(HIWATT)!

I had amp maintenance to do this weekend: cleaning up some tube contacts on my Matchless Clubman, replaced the V1..... Had to clean up the Bogner XTC too, replace a missing foot , lost in my last gig, etc.... When I was done, I spent a few minutes A/B'ing them, just checking & comparing...
  13. gregc

demo'd '69 & JB fuzz....

I'll cut to the chase: I brought the '69 home. The JB sounded great but I found I could get that tone out of the '69, and having a power jack, taking up 1/2 the physical space, and the extra input Z & mid-contour controls just put it out front..... for me. Both are very good though and the...
  14. gregc

FF: Hendrix vs. Bonamassa...

I'm gonna spring for one. Played em both? What say yee? Thanks,
  15. gregc

UPS lost my RIC

I bought a Ric and it was on the truck for delivery, Friday, 6AM, 10 miles from my house. It never showed. Late Friday, UPS changed the delivery date to Monday. Monday is done. No Ric. No updated delivery date. What they call customer service says, 'ask the shipper to start an investigation'...
  16. gregc

pic break-in, please help

I've tried fans and bicycle spokes but it's too directional. How can I break-in my pics (without playing guitar, like while I'm while I'm sleeping or surfing TGP, etc...)!!!!
  17. gregc

speaker choice help required...

I want a 2x12 loaded cabinet (probably open back) for use with a XTC, ENGL Blackmore, or Germino head when I can't drag my 4x12 around. My 412 is Greenback loaded and I like it. I tried 2xV-30 and that was a no-go. I have 2x Classic 80 now and I'm less than happy with them. What next? I don't...
  18. gregc

modfactor/timefactor in.......

I sure hope my incoming time & mod factor pedals can replace a bunch of smaller pedals on my board: vibe, trem, digi delay, verb,... so, am I spitting into the wind or does this have a shot? I guess in another week or so I'll know. I'm hoping........
  19. gregc

any info on these speakers cabs?

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/ Thanks, I am looking at the 'empty cab' section....
  20. gregc

Played 2 really cool Strat-like guitars

Friday, I stopped in GC to get out of traffic for an hour and kill some time. I played what I thought to be 2 really fine sounding SC guitars. Up first was a rosewood board Fender EJ model. OK, the body was typical GC grungy and it needed the truss rod tightened up a scootch, but the rosewood...
  21. gregc

Looking for a good delay

I'm considering the Trex Replica and Evantide Timefactor, as an upgrade to the Boss unit I currently use. So, where is the best/cheapest place to procure one, and do you prefer one over the other? Thanks,
  22. gregc

Matchless light panel lamps...

The lamps just don't seem to lasy very long. It's a pain to replace them. Anyone come up with some other, tougher lamp or something? Ever try the LED replacement lamps? There's got to be a better way!
  23. gregc

wHO KNOWS OLD aMPEGS?

I found what I think is a cool old Ampeg Reverb rocket II, vintage 1966. Replacement Jensen speaker, 3 prong line cord, and the rest looks original. I noted one of the tubes in the chassis did NOT match the tube chart on the inside case. There is a 12AX7 where the chart calls for a 7199. It...
  24. gregc

Red Iron T-Rex tube swaps...

I remember guys swapping 6sl7/6sn7 tubes for some more clean. I 'think' I remember talk of swapping the stage 1 tube and also mention of the PI tube (which I believe is #3). Anyone remember or have info. I can call Paul, I guess.... but not at 2AM..... Thanks, Greg
  25. gregc

Wreck'y' things...

I'm mulling over something in the Wreck vein. I know only a Wreck is a Wreck, but I'd like something with no MV that can be controlled to go from clean to almost out of control, pretty hi gain, good feel, feedback/sustain, etc.... You know the drill. What's out there besides: Z Maz GT...... Red...