• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. axpro

Tweed Pro 5D5 Advice Gut Shots Added

Speakers are so subjective, Hope you dig the Weber 10's I am on the other side, I like really dark speakers for the most part, and find that 10's are too snappy for my tastes. I've tried several versions, but never liked them. I prefer dark sounding 12's and 15s
  2. axpro

Capacitor Replacement - Orange

as for the squeal, it could just be wire placement... not easy to correct for when most "wires" are solder traces.
  3. axpro

Capacitor Replacement - Orange

Hmmmmm, I don't have much to add that's constructive lol. NOT trying to disagree with Mr Fahey, though I do think some caps do have a difference brand wise.... not a huge difference, but cumulatively through an entire amp, I found that Orange drops were a little bit brighter than Mallory...
  4. axpro

Garnet G45tr Revolution 1 Help

Hey Wingman. I wish you some good luck, but I believe that Gar tweaked his designs and had multiple revisions, much like Traynor amps (Us damn Canadians... ALWAYS STRIVING FOR PERFECTION! lol) Unfortunately, unlike Traynor amps, the Garnet amp variations aren't always well documented. AND...
  5. axpro

Vintage amp safety question here...

To add my $0.02 Canadian funds.... Don't use the amp. DEFINITELY don't gig with it... until you take care of it. We had one get traded in at the shop I work at (not the same model, but similar type... Garnet "Stencil" amps as they call them up here) To be honest the amps like this don't...
  6. axpro

NOS tube longevity......NONSENSE!!

Real world-wise, I don't know if I would hear a big difference with NOS tubes in a band setting. I have tried int he past and it wasn't easy to hear a difference. I've also had some NOS tubes just up and die on me, something i have only had once with new tubes. Lets also face that a lot of us...
  7. axpro

The latest "What to build" question lol

I tried kt66s before when this amp was more of a JTM45, the jcm800 and didn't find a huge improvement, but of course I had an issue with the cathode follower i missed for several build variations. I think i have a pair of kt66s here somewhere, but i don't think they are gold lions. The amp is...
  8. axpro

Favorite pre-amp question

I am far from an expert, but there are lots of guys who can explain the ins and out of your questions far better than I can. Just to touch on your "Champ with a full TMB tone stack", blackface champs (AA764 models) DO have a full tone stack, it's just that Fender subbed in a fixed resistor...
  9. axpro

Favorite pre-amp question

I think you are are over-simplifying the whole gain stage idea. If you look at a champ vs a Blackface deluxe, they are pretty much the same thing preamp wise. leave out the Phase inverter/power amp from the mix, and they are incredibly similar. One utility gain stage, driving a tone stack...
  10. axpro

Gutting and Rebuilding a Peavey Bravo: Suggestions

The Peavey cabs tend to weigh a lot, and they tend to use heavy ass speakers lol. If you are rebuilding the cabinet, and rewiring the amp....w hy not start fresh!? I haven't seen a schematic of the Peavey Bravo, but it does seem to have a lot of circuitboard in there... I am wondering how...
  11. axpro

Okay, i think I have it dialed in. Lowered the gain somewhat in the preamp, changing the cathode resistor of the parallel first stage to a 2.7k (from the 1.5 stock) and using a 1uf bypass cap. Also switched the preamp tubes with 12ay7's. I keep the volume cranked (if i had a good push/pull...
  12. axpro

Tweed Pro 5D5 Advice Gut Shots Added

This is a really REALLY simple amp., not a lot of tone shaping, and the interesting input jack wiring. I considered building one a few times. Of course, it all depends on how "bone stock" the original builder built it. Mallory caps versus Orange drops tend to sound a little "meatier" in my...
  13. axpro

Back to amps, I ended up kinda half assing together a Matchless-ey amp. I used the preamp stages of a Matchless lightning for inspiration (kinda like a Marshall topography, but with a parallel first stage) Master volume is pre phase inverter at the moment, I don't have a spare dual ganged pot...
  14. axpro

Yeah, I play mostly PRS guitars, and I don't like the humbucker cleans.... I really don't like most humbuckers clean to be honest, but I get easily annoyed by hum so I am stuck between a rock and hard place. A couple of my guitars have some Seymour Duncan 3+3 split coils in the neck position...
  15. axpro

DAMN MULTIPLIER BANDS!!!! lol

Yeah yeah yeah.... :D It was the damn multiplier band, some of my resistors have them, and some dont. I instinctively knew the regular colour code, but missed that extra band at the bottom... BOOOOO!
  16. axpro

DAMN MULTIPLIER BANDS!!!! lol

So been messing with this Traynor YBA-JCM800 amp, that never sounded "quite right" So i messed with it and messed with it and figured "It's not happy being a Marshall, I'll try something else. Turned it into a Bastardized Matchless.... type front end into dual 6L6's (it's what i had) When i...
  17. axpro

Hey guys, I have been jamming with a couple guys lately, and the amp i use (a homebrew JCM800 hi gain mod) doesn't cut it. It's got massive bottom end, and sounds great for metal, but we tend to skew a little cleaner, and into blues rock. I used the low gain input, but it sounds a bit crap...
  18. axpro

Can you turn a Fender Reverb tank into an amp (Champ)?

It WOULD be possible to build an amp out of a standalone reverb, but it would still need a real output transformer (reverb transformers are undersized for a speaker from what i remember, aside from using them to build crazy little 1 watt amps) and you would need to alter quite a few parts of the...
  19. axpro

Apology to forum members

Ahhhh, i dont know if i ever commented on your original message. Messing with PCBs is crazy work! I started there, reading Steve Ahola's Blue Guitar site as my origin. I messed up a Peavey classic 30 pretty bad over the course of a few years of trying every mod i could think of to it. The...
  20. axpro

Apology to forum members

Well, you kinda took the middle of a few sentences there, along with my bad grammer... my line between pro and hobby is getting paid for it on a regular basis. Not fixing one amp and saying you are a pro. Kind of like having a few open mic nights doesn't make you a top comic. :D I am a...
  21. axpro

I'm Shopping 4 a single 12" Speaker to handle 120 watts, what's considered safe?

I've tried the eminence TOnkerlite and lil texas, both sounded pretty good and i was envious of how light the cabinets were!
  22. axpro

DEEP cleaning tolex...

DING DING DING for Soldersucker! Went over it with Turtle wax OXY powerout!. I need to clean it again to be honest, but going over it with that cleane away the majority of the deep ground in dirt and filth, and now my workshop smells like "new car smell" instead of "old cat pee" gave it a...
  23. axpro

Apology to forum members

Um, not to dredge up anything, because, you know, good on you for making an apology... our world would be better if we could all stop and take a breather and apologize when we get upset. (but hey, I'm Canadian... our national greeting is "Hey!, Sorry") But aside from a few snide remarks that...
  24. axpro

Marshall MS-2C Issue (It's a P.O.S.)

My advice was mainly to "shotgun" it lol... cause I am lucky if i have 1/100th the knowledge that JM has! Proper troubleshooting is definitely the way to go, if you have the skillset. Considering you don't know how to use the multimeter you have to check continuity, i am guessing you don't...
  25. axpro

I'm Shopping 4 a single 12" Speaker to handle 120 watts, what's considered safe?

My uninformed $0.02 Canadian funds.... I do realize the need for a big 1x12. You already have the amp and (i am guessing) you (or "she" since i don't know who this third party is) like the sounds it produces. Your limiting factor though is the "form factor" of you speaker implement??? just...