• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. SFW

Bias Drift Question

Perhaps I was not clear in my original post. The Groove Tubes EL34M quad that I installed when I felt it was time for new tubes where purchased two years ago, but never used. They have been setting on a shelf in my office. So basically, they are “new” tubes. When I installed them and gave...
  2. SFW

Bias Drift Question

I had let the amp sit on standby for about 20 minutes for the first set of tubes. They stayed constant, but were at 42mA and I couldn't get the bias to adjust down any further. They were just too hot for the amp. I know that I can change the resistor to assist with getting in in the correct...
  3. SFW

Bias Drift Question

So I was going to retube my 2005 Splawn QuickRod this afternoon. It's been running the same set of Ruby STRs in it for the last four years. I had noticed that the amp was starting to sound harsh. Popped in a set of GT Mullard reissues from a few years ago, and they were so far out of range I...
  4. SFW

Splawn Amplification Official TGP Thread

Question for you guys. How ln get are tubes lasting in your Splawns? I have a 2005 Splawn Quick Rod. I got the amp this past May and changed the power tubes to some Ruby STR EL34s and a mix of two EH 12aaX7s and a JJ 12AX7 in the center position. The amp has sounded great until recently. I've...
  5. SFW

In front of the amp I have a Strobostomp, Bonamassa wah and an MXR Univibe. In the loop I have an ISP Decimator, TC Corona Chorus and two Hardwire DL8 delays.
  6. SFW

Just got my new Plexi style headshell in, so I need to take a new picture. Here's my rig though. 2005 QR. Love this amp!
  7. SFW

Where do you like your bias at for the tubes? Most of my amps have 6L6s, so I know where I like those. I haven't owned an EL34 based amp in so long I've forgotten where the bias range is...lol!
  8. SFW

I'm probably going to go with a quad of Ruby STRs. Any thoughts?
  9. SFW

I went with the Plexi look for the new headshell. I need to get some new power tubes. I think the ones in the amp are old. I'm having to run the presence and treble between 2:00 and 3:00 to get any bite out of the amp. I changed the preamp tubes to some Chinese ones that I had and that helped...
  10. SFW

Did the first rehearsal with my new to me 2005 Splawn QR. wow. What an amp. I usually run the master on my 5153 around 11:00. With the QR, I had it around 9:00 and it was screaming loud. Lol. Super fun amp to play. I'll post some pics as soon as the new head shell gets here.
  11. SFW

1965 Fender Bassman Cab

I have an original 1965 Fender Bassman 212 cab with the Original Speakers. Does anyone have a rough idea of what the value of this cab would be?
  12. SFW

Vox cleans with Marshall drive?

Man... I just checked a few vids of the British Dream out.... I need me one of those.
  13. SFW

Taboo? School me on JCM 900s

The 900s are not bad amps at all. They sit very well in a band mix. I played one for years before I fell into the Internet forum mentality that they weren't good amps. I would love to get an old SLX.
  14. SFW

Lenny Kravitz Guitarist

Craig is badass. His work on Nikka Costa's second disc was outstanding. Killer tone for sure.
  15. SFW

Who is still gigging with a 4x12 cabinet?

I've tried to drop down to a 212 a couple of times and just can't do it. I prefer how a 412 sounds and feels.
  16. SFW

Marshall 1987 Questions

This is the tone I'm after. Its kind of a hyped up 70s tone on roids. I know that Soren uses a 1987 and some pedals to get there. I just love that classic grind he has going on. VnHYmeb4mVE S5MUrYl46Nw
  17. SFW

Marshall 1987 Questions

Then would i be better off going with the JTM45? This is really going to be a petal platform and I know the 30 watts that the 45 has will be plenty aloud I mainly want a nice warm rich tone.
  18. SFW

Marshall 1987 Questions

I'm seriously looking at picking up a 1987 as a clean power base for pedals. I have no interest in attempting to play it a city leveling volumes. How fast do these amps break up? I don't mind a bit of grit in my clean tone, but I'd prefer a pedal to do the heavy lifting on the dirt. I want to...
  19. SFW

Issue with '65 Fender Bassman Cab

Yes, I did mean parallel. lol Sorry about that.
  20. SFW

Issue with '65 Fender Bassman Cab

I inherited a 1965 Fender Bassman 212 cabinet about a year ago from my wife's father. I also go a super sweet 65 Fender Jass bass to go with it. The bass is killer all the way around. The Bassman cab has been giving me fits though. The original speaker are shot. From what I understand...
  21. SFW

NAD!!!

Well, my brand new 5150III arrived today. Had the chance to play it for a few hours tonight. So far, I think it sounds great. All three channels are very usable, and once I have had more time with the amp I know will smoke. It's a lot more Marshall voiced that some of my amps have been in...
  22. SFW

Did Mesa Prices go up?.....again

I loved my Mark IV, but the V does nothing for me.
  23. SFW

Did Mesa Prices go up?.....again

I find it interesting that any amplifier company would be raising prices in this current economy.
  24. SFW

Speakers for a 1965 Fender 2x12 Cab?

The current speakers are pictured below. I remember reading that they were not very good speakers. I have thought about reconing them though... But I'm just not sure if it would be worth it. And a picture of the front...