• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. S

Guitars and temperature/humidity

We've moved for a couple of years (from SoCal to outside of Atlanta) and I'm wondering about the temp and humidity in the room I'm using for my studio for my guitars. It's above the garage and so may not be insulated that well, and apparently not far from the heating unit in the attic. In...
  2. S

Ship guitar in InCase bag?

I'm moving cross country and shipping all my guitars. I have hard cases for everything except my Edwards Les Paul. It fits nicely in my Incase bag, and I'm wondering if it's okay to ship it in that? Looks like they don't make it anymore, or I couldn't find it on their site anyway. It's this one...
  3. S

Good pedals vsts?

After 10 years of intense guitar playing, out in clubs, recording etc., I switched gears about 5 years ago and have been composing—DAWs, orchestral, hybrid stuff, scoring work etc. Totally changed gears. Recently I've started doing more guitar playing in the work, and have been slowly (very...
  4. S

A bass for a beginner

A friend wants to learn to play bass. I don't know that she has ever played an instrument, just got a wild hair. She's talked about it before though so I wanted to start her off with the right thing.what would be a good base for her to get, spending as little as possible presumably. Something...
  5. S

Pedals in room with smoke and soot from electrical fire

This is a continuation/addendum to a thread I started in the amps tech section. We had an electrical fire in our converted garage, which is my office/studio. Some of my pedals were near the fire and have soot on them, most of them are in cabinets which aren't air tight and probably had plenty...
  6. S

Can smoke from an electrical fire damage an amp or cab?

We had an electrical fire in our converted garage, which is my office/studio. None of my amps were that close to the fire, but the room still smells of smoke a week later. I haven't had a chance to test out my amps yet. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Or does smoke not pose much of...
  7. S

Badcat Unleash/speaker question

I'm thinking about getting one of these, and there's something I'm not quite understanding about the boost function. If the Unleash can put out 100 Watts, is there a danger of blowing a 30, 60 or 75 Watt speaker with it? I'm going to be using it mostly with a 112 with an Eminence Red, White and...
  8. S

Acoustic guit 101

I'm starting to research acoustics, been an electric player all my life. I had two hand me down acoustics that i learned on, one nylon string, one steel string (both handed down before sgt pepper came out, yes, im old!) but its been all electrics for me since. Been reading here with interest...
  9. S

Looping live drums

I'd posted this in the recording/live sound section but am thinking it might be more at home here?: A friend has this idea and wondered if there's any way to accomplish it. He does a duo with his wife, performing around town and actually touring with it occasionally. He wants to have a...
  10. S

Looper for live drums?

A friend has this idea and wondered if there's any way to accomplish it. He does a duo with his wife, performing around town and actually touring with it occasionally. He wants to have a kit set up, play a few bars and have that loop, and then jump onto guitar or keys. Is there some way...
  11. S

Micing an amp vs direct feed

I deleted that other thread because it got silly. Sorry if anyone was wanting to review info on there! I just wanted to ask once more: if you're wanting to have your guitar in the house and stage monitors and use your amp just for your own onstage sound--do you have a preference for using a...
  12. S

Giggity!

Just got one and played with it last night at home in my studio. Really like this thing a lot and looking forward to see how it works with recording, in rehearsals and at gigs. Using the input level, body and air controls, I was able to get a nice, full sound at pretty low volume, and able to...
  13. S

Sanyo Pedal Juice and Line6 M5?

Does anybody know if the Pedal Juice can power an M5?
  14. S

DI box with Hotplate?

I've been using a Hotplate for direct, silent recording. I turn the attenuator all the way down on the hotplate and that silences the cab!and go out the xlr to the interface/Logic etc. I've been reading about Palmer Pdi 09 and am interested in trying that, but that doesn't provide a dummy load...
  15. S

My first acoustic

Im about to buy my first acoustic guitar. Technically correct but misleading perhaps. The first two guitars I had were acoustics, but they were hand me downs from my sister. That was 1965. I first learned on those, but since then I've played electric all my life. Im now doing some recording of...
  16. S

Iso cab recommendations?

I'm doing more and more recording, been doing mostly scoring stuff the last couple of years, and now starting to do more tunes, and recording more guitar. The guitar tones ive been getting are fine, using pedals, sometimes the direct out from a couple different amps, sometimes some onboard...
  17. S

Half Gainer questions

The two LTDs in the Half Gainer, does it switch between them, or stack? If its itching between them, does that mean the Tone and Mid controls each only affect their respective 'channels'?
  18. S

What sounds like a great old Super Reverb?

Aside from a great old Super Reverb? Anything, or is that tilting at windmills? :)
  19. S

Slight breakup newbie

Ive been a clean amp devotee for quite a while now and have a bunch of them, (ceriatone ots, bassman ri, working dog rottweiler, reeves 50) and use a variety of drives (always switching out, experimenting) for various flavors and degrees of old, breakup etc. Recently though ive played a few...
  20. S

Anybody running an M5 off a 1Spot?

The adapter says 9v, but I'm not sure what the amperage (?) is? thanks!
  21. S

M5 Users - what is displayed in 'Instant Preset Mode'?

This looks to be a good mode to be in for onstage use. According to the M5 Manual on the Line6 site, it says that in this mode, all you have to do to scroll between presets is use the up and down (on/off and tap) footswitches. As opposed to the 'Load' mode which requires you to touch both...
  22. S

M5 Users - what is displayed in 'Instant Preset Mode'?

This looks to be a good mode to be in for onstage use. According to the M5 Manual on the Line6 site, it says that in this mode, all you have to do to scroll between presets is use the up and down (on/off and tap) footswitches. As opposed to the 'Load' mode which requires you to touch both...
  23. S

Fetto Standard v Nord

I was thinking Nord, but I can get a standard now or wait for a nord. I'm an OD junkie, have a nice variety of boosts as well. But I'm thinking the overunder boost in the Nord makes it capable of more tones than the standard. Any impressions of the Standard vs the Nord? Thanks!
  24. S

How about a 'clean channel' pedal?

As in the clean channel of a Two Rock Custom. There are tons of pedals that go after the OD channel of a D style amp, but what about the clean channel? That's actually the sound I like best out of those amps. That rich, detailed clean, with the notes having plenty of body and richness and...
  25. S

Jester or Minstrel? That is the question

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to... oh never mind :D I'm trying to decide between these two and it's tough. I like to have several flavors of dirt on my board (like everyone) spanky clean, clean with rough edges, mid gain for fills etc and high gain so bigger solos, slide. I can usually do...