• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. stephenT

Martin 00-15M incoming..

Congrats! My 00-15m is a joy, hope you love yours as much.
  2. stephenT

what is your first choice for a multi-fx device for your acoustic rig?

there's no springs and I have no idea if the reverb chip is an analog chip, but to my ears it's an excellent reverb, has none of that digital noise as the effect fades
  3. stephenT

what is your first choice for a multi-fx device for your acoustic rig?

Fishman ToneDEQ preamp. Analog. Great reverb, also has delay, tremolo (and other modulation effects) and a boost. Love the sound, very convenient.
  4. stephenT

Using soundhole pickups that aren't installed permanently for gigging

I've used the DiMarzio Angel and thought it was a nice sounding pickup, for me it's in the top three I've used, Sunrise, the Angel and the Blackstack.
  5. stephenT

Using soundhole pickups that aren't installed permanently for gigging

I dangle. I'm a longtime Sunrise pickup user but last year moved over to Fishman Blackstack pickups which I prefer. Light weight, great sound, and smaller than the Sunrise. A big plus is I can install the Blackstack without slacking the strings. I can leave my favorite guitars w/o any pickups...
  6. stephenT

NGD- Martin 00-15M - Mahogany Hog!

Congrats! I’ve owned a custom 00-15m for eight years. It’s a fantastic guitar. Well broken in, plays great, perfect size.
  7. stephenT

String recommendations for 000-15M (reduced finger noise, not too tame)

Martin Retros have less string noise, but it's not my choice for my Martin 00-15 which gets John Pearse. I like Retros on my Waterloo WL-12 a lot.
  8. stephenT

Decent inexpensive 12 string?

I had one, smaller body 12 string. Needed a neck reset and no repairman would touch it because of the size (width of neck heel) and type of neck block. They sound great until they need repair, that's why I'd never own another Guild 12 string.
  9. stephenT

Decent inexpensive 12 string?

Taylor 150e. The best for the bucks, decent electronics, find the right one and they can sound great. Excellent playability, built to be tuned at concert pitch.
  10. stephenT

The coming Acoustic markdown

Heh,.. well. No. But way to piggyback upon my post!
  11. stephenT

I know that it's been asked a million times but...

I second the Taylor GS Mini. It's a real guitar and a great size for comfort, shorter scale, thinner neck. not a wide nut. They come set up w/ mediums tho and I'd put lights on it for the playability factor.
  12. stephenT

well, so much for a down market. https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/quarantine-diy-music-rennaissance-988394/?fbclid=IwAR09qVk1rxQqbkuCjcF26sunv66Fe7hEFA6KJklksOSqf_bY1MuIR4Haxww
  13. stephenT

How ugly does a top have to be to get this kinda boring paint job?

a burst would show the run out I'd guess. they went w/ a translucent to cover more of the grain
  14. stephenT

How ugly does a top have to be to get this kinda boring paint job?

looks like it had a lot of run out (to me). They are trying to cover up the mismatched halves.
  15. stephenT

NGD: Martin 00-18

Congrats and some of us know the 00 is the perfect body size ergonomically, the most balanced totally, etc.
  16. stephenT

Anyone still use martin retro's that were so popular here a few years back?

Strings take longer than a few minutes to settle in. D'Addario PB are the worst, couple days before they sound decent. But to the OP's Q, yes. Martin Retros work great on some guitars, I still use them and like them.
  17. stephenT

$7k Martin versus $295 acoustic

Like many of us here, younger than some, older than most.
  18. stephenT

Notice I used a lower case "g". I suspect we're referring to two separate entities.
  19. stephenT

I've played a couple D-45 that were dogs, I own a Martin D Jr that is surprisingly good for the $$s. I owned a Merrill OM-18k ($6k new, but I bought it used) that was "better" than most of the acoustics I've played (lots). I've heard $10k guitars that sounded better than god's voice. So,.. whatever.
  20. stephenT

Opinions on nitro safe wall hanger for Gibsons

There really are no guarantees, depends also on how well the lacquer has cured. As folks have said, use microfiber or cotton to cover the hanger where it contacts the guitar. They used to make "Hanger Bras" and I use those no matter what the company boosts.
  21. stephenT

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 scale D-28 !!!!

I like to think I got a great D Jr. And to be frank, I've played D-18s that didn't sound as good,.. and many that were way better of course. But your 7-28 sounds fabulous on that track! Very balanced from what I can tell and fat treble strings. If I had it I'd replace the nut w/ wider string...
  22. stephenT

I love optimism.
  23. stephenT

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 scale D-28 !!!!

Congrats! if they made a Martin D jr (or whatever they call it now) w/ rosewood back and sides I'd be a buyer. extra points for actual wood fingerboard and bridge. All my guitars are around a 00 size but for the D Jr, which for $450 new (what I paid) is a fantastic guitar. Solid wood, thin...
  24. stephenT

Acoustic Amps - Mesa Rosette 300 1x10?

My 2¢, haven't tried the Mesa so I'm no help there tho I've bought and sold at least a dozen acoustic amps over the years. The best acoustic amp I own has been a Schertler Jam 400. I've used it on solo, duo and trio gigs but it's just too damn heavy to tote when I am just playing acoustic and...