• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. John Coloccia

Crowning saddle height to match fretboard radius

Just wanting to give encouragement to dig in and get'r done. :)
  2. John Coloccia

Crowning saddle height to match fretboard radius

Hey Thom, When I have bridges that don't have individual height adjustments, I just file things down to where they belong. This isn't rocket science. You know, if anyone ever complained that I "ruined" their bridge, or whatever, I would just buy them a new bridge and be done with it. I've never...
  3. John Coloccia

Grain fill woes

Yes, you're very correct. West generally doesn't have any fillers. It's just epoxy. If you want to make a structural epoxy, like the typical epoxy you'd find in a hardware store, you actually have to add some fillers. On it's own, it's terrible for the typical things most people use epoxy for...
  4. John Coloccia

Grain fill woes

I like thinned Timbermate, and I usually fill with one coat. I also really like using finishing resin, like the Zpoxy mentioned above. One trick if you use epoxy (and anyone who's done a lot of fiberglass work will attest to this). It's easy to get pin holes. They'll drive you nuts. The epoxy...
  5. John Coloccia

Combined ground wires

re: "ground loops" or anything else in "passive" instruments. In what sense can anyone consider an electric guitar a passive instrument? Maybe if you play it acoustically and amplify it with a mic? Otherwise, it's plugged into an amplifier of some kind. Do you think it makes a difference to...
  6. John Coloccia

Tips for fitting a heel into a neck pocket?

You haven't convinced me that the neck is misaligned. And even if you had, you haven't convinced me which part is misaligned...the neck or the body. It could be as simple as a poorly cut nut. Please take it to a competent tech to diagnose and figure out. To answer your question directly, a...
  7. John Coloccia

Who has used the bone dust and glue method on a nut?

Way better than any other alternative. That said, I can't tell you how many nuts I've thrown out that I've botched up in the process of making them. Nuts are one of those things that separate the amateurs from pros. It's often the difference between a great playing guitar and a dog. For most...
  8. John Coloccia

Do you use a neck jig for fret leveling & crowning?

Jig gives at least as good results with a new neck. Supports everything well. I usually didn't use it with new necks because I had supports that fit MY necks well. Jig is a lifesaver with problem repair necks. Holy jesus, the guesswork involved with problem necks if you don't have the jig. Not...
  9. John Coloccia

Stewmac Fretwire--who makes it?

I gave up on StewMac wire years and years ago when they flat out refused to simply give me the specs for the wire. Maybe it's changed now, but they outright refused to just give me some basic measurements. Jescar for the win. I love StewMac for a lot of things, but they suddenly turned into a...
  10. John Coloccia

New Gibby fingerboards and a potential problem

Good for them. Gibsons have been putting luthier's and tech's children through college since the 60s. Why stop now? They could have at least centered it
  11. John Coloccia

Choosing replacement locking tuners

Definitely. Most of the work isn't done by ear...and perhaps I'm being presumptuous how you're doing it, but when I do it most of the work is done by eye. Sometimes by ear by tapping down on the fret and listening for a ping, but full pitch isn't necessary.
  12. John Coloccia

Choosing replacement locking tuners

Not to start a "thing", but why do you want to switch to locking tuners? Generally speaking, if you wind the strings properly, there is really no advantage to a locking tuner. 99% of tuning problems are related to the nut, and occasionally the bridge. Even the crappiest tuners will keep a...
  13. John Coloccia

In Brazil for work. Could I buy some fretboard material and from whom?

FWIW, I settled on Pau Ferro for my go-to fingerboard. Works beautifully with how I built my necks, for whatever reason. Just always worked and sounded really nice in the finished guitar. And there it is, right? It's all about how the wood matches up with the specific guitar and construction...
  14. John Coloccia

For the benefit of anyone else, what I said was something very close to"OMG, this sounds like a bad idea with very little upside other than being able to say it's made from BR. And also, you might have trouble finding a good luthier willing to touch the stuff from a random guy off the street...
  15. John Coloccia

Nevermind. Deleted my post. No reason to waste my time.
  16. John Coloccia

Gibson behind the nut bends on D/G strings

You should send this guy a note and ask him who his tech is. :) Just some random video I found in a few seconds to demonstrate the point. This is how every nut should behave.
  17. John Coloccia

Seems like their only purpose is to keep the strings from hitting each other. Look, this is really very simple, and very easy to achieve with standard nut files. a) what happens above the string has zero bearing on anything. It's convenient to have the nut above the string low because it makes...
  18. John Coloccia

Yes, it's normal and unnecessary. It's not rocket science, but as Terry says there's a bit more to it than just filing a slot. It's still pretty simple, but despite the glut of tools and gadgets people seem to throw at it, I've seen shocking few nuts come through my shop that were anywhere near...
  19. John Coloccia

Builders, can you sum-up your neck building philosophy into one sentence?

I suspect they can control the process much better than i can, from procurement to seasoning and the overall process. I suspect they do better than I could as a tiny shop, and that a larger, high quality shop can be more efficient overall. I couldn't hazard a guess what large, mass produced...
  20. John Coloccia

Just curious. How many necks/bodies/guitars do builders just throw away because they just aren't up to snuff. I kept track. I'm at about 10% total...stuff that just doesn't want to be a guitar. Sorry Terry, don't mean to distract from your thread, but I think it's an interesting thing to...
  21. John Coloccia

I'm out of the biz but for me it was simple (and very similar to Terry). The process of building a neck boils down to flattening the playing surface (or whatever the playing surface gets glued to) at every step. Do something, flatten...shape a bit...flatten...glue something...flatten. Goal being...
  22. John Coloccia

New J Coloccia Id overdrive: When?

Sorry for not being so responsive. It's unlike me, as many will attest to. Here's a bunch of answers: 1) Every custom ID I sent out has the screws on the bottom painted red with a magic marker. That said, if you're really unsure, pop off the back and look inside. If you see a couple of...
  23. John Coloccia

Filling in a low nut slot

I always use a thin piece of veneer and CA. That said, you will HAVE to recut the nut when you're done. There's no avoiding that, so this isn't a quick and easy fix. However, it allows you to save a nut that you really don't want to replace. Ivory and shelf nuts come to mind. Conventional...
  24. John Coloccia

Filling in a low nut slot

I usually use a piece of wood veneer, because it's easy, quick, and what the hell...it's sitting on wood anyway so what's a little more wood? Just dab some CA on the bottom of the nut, stick it on some veneer, wait a bit, and then just break off what doesn't stick. A minute of touch up with a...
  25. John Coloccia

Do pots go bad? Or am I measuring wrong?

Are you measuring them in circuit or out? I can see 250k pots varying from close to 200 to more than 260...because generally speaking pots kind of suck across the board, and it doesn't matter that much anyway. 140K sounds like something else is going on, like something else is in parallel with...