• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Quarter

The Truth About Glue?

I think the term "fully dry" in the above would read more acurate as "fully equalized". I'm certainly no expert and have no firsthand knowledge on Gibsons production process, but a water based glue will introduce a little moisture back into the wood and it does take some time for that moisture...
  2. Quarter

What's your go-to guitar for playing slide?

A Supro / Goldfoil combo is a ton of fun! .
  3. Quarter

What lap steel strings ?

John Ely has a page on strings along with a handy chart that should be helpful http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/learning/gauges.php For premade sets, Elderly Instruments has GHS sets for reasonable prices. http://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=GHS+GLS
  4. Quarter

Humbucker-Sized P-90's

BG's would be a great choice. I saw they are running a holiday promotion too https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/bg-pups-thanksgiving-sale.1765759/
  5. Quarter

Show your lap steel guitars

Great instruments!
  6. Quarter

DIY Wooden Pickguard: Any tips?

First step is to draw / sketch out some of your ideas. Take a few that you like and cut them out with a pair of scissors and see how they might look on the guitar.
  7. Quarter

shipping to Australia

Just make sure to check that your package meets the size requirements for shipping to Australia. Global Express Guaranteed has a max length and girth combined of 108" and Priority Mail Express International is less at 97" http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ab_012.htm
  8. Quarter

Bourns vs. CTS

The Bourns GTR series are a lower torque pot. For some that is a good thing, for others not so much. I suspect the more expensive Bourns made EVH branded low torque pots are just GTR series parts with an EVH logo / tax.
  9. Quarter

PAF or P90 for SG?

I've always loved SG's with 90's. If it were me, I'd be leaning pretty heavily towards a set of BG-Pups Pure 90's.
  10. Quarter

Is naphtha safe to use on a dyed ebony board?

Naphtha is a petroleum solvent and could be an issue if the board is dyed. The only way to know is test a small area.
  11. Quarter

8 string steels can offer a lot of possibilities, but they are not for everyone. For best results, it helps to be one of those that can easily picture the patterns and pockets up and down the neck.
  12. Quarter

I need help understanding 5-way Super Switches

That Stewmac link is a good start to wrapping your head around multi pole switches, lever or rotary too. Different brands can vary a bit on terminal layout, but nothing you can't pin out with a multimeter. Set the switch to the 1st position and find the 4 pairs. Set the switch to the 2nd...
  13. Quarter

Slip Stone Nut

I use Delrin / acetal for nuts on my multibender steels and it works fantastic. McMaster has Delrin / acetal in several flavors. Their site is hard to link to, but go here and select acetal on the left http://www.mcmaster.com/#Standard-Plastic-Sheets
  14. Quarter

Thanks, I've been very happy with how that model has worked out. Here is one in a lightweight mahogany and maple. .
  15. Quarter

Great to see this thread still kicking along! Steel guitar is such a fun and versatile instrument! G tuning has a lot to offer. I've done a couple of these multibender 7 string JP7's in a G tuning and liked it a lot. Enough that I'll be building one for myself when / if I get some extra time...
  16. Quarter

Over time the top plate can take on a weak magnetic charge, so it would not be too far a stretch that the base plate could have some residual charge in it too.
  17. Quarter

A great two pickup steel at that price point is going to be a little tough. Used / vintage, there are some great single pickup options, but not a lot of two pickup configurations. For less than $600, I think your best bet for a decent 2 pickup steel would be to hunt down one of the import Asher...
  18. Quarter

Well done, those SX's make a good base for some mods. They have a good scale length and room for a comfortable 3/8" string spacing at the nut. Good choice on the BG too, Bryan winds some great pickups. I've used a lot of his pickups on my builds and they never disappoint.
  19. Quarter

Todd makes some absolutely fantastic instruments. As I've said before, if I didn't roll my own, a Clinesmith would be on my short list for a new steel. The combined position turned out to be quite nice and an unexpected treat. Definitely not weak, thin, or otherwise funky. We knew full well...
  20. Quarter

Cool steel! I love the Art Deco influence on some of the early steels, there is such a rich history to draw from. Here is one in kind of a National New Yorker influenced style. Birdseye and figured sapele with a Duesenberg Multibender. .
  21. Quarter

Here is a nice example of Scotty Murray playing my JP7 prototype, 7 string Stringmaster style pickups on a nice chunk of swamp ash . In that theme, here is a customer with one of my with a Lollar Horseshoe P6 Deluxe's at the Maui Steel Guitar Festival back in 2014, Curly Maple with Padauk...
  22. Quarter

Cool steels :) ... Alamo made some solid products and those Valco / Supro steels with the string through pickup are great too. Luckily for us, Lollar and now Mojo are making those Valco / Supro pickups. I've not used the Mojo, but the Lollar is as good if not better than the best of the...
  23. Quarter

Headstock Logo Photos, Lets See Em Everyone

I always loved the old school metal logos on early steels, so I've been making some of my own out of nickle silver and etching them. They are a pain to make, but I just love how they look. .