• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. D

Crack in old 12 string heel !

Not sure what the make of the guitar is (guessing a cheap student import) but I'd say if it came in to our shop we would turn it away. Not because it can't be fixed, but because for the cost of it you could probably buy 2 brand new guitars of twice the quality. Now if you want to do a quick...
  2. D

Does installing stainless frets really ruin tools or?

EVO can be a bit tough on files, in the sense that your end files might wear out in a thousand or so refrets instead of 2 or 3 thousand. It's fine on most cutters though, as it really snaps rather than shears, not nearly as hard on cutters as stainless.
  3. D

Okay, joking aside, yes, SS fret work is a bit more labor intensive than nickel. I used to charge a higher premium, but have worked with it enough that now that I've refined my methods and tools for this material, it doesn't really take that much more time. It used to seem a lot more difficult...
  4. D

Scratch that. Turns out that Gibson has already cornered the market on guaranteed to fail tuning machines.
  5. D

Yes, it's a bit harder on cutters, and if you try to cut some jumbo SS wire with the end nippers you may have used for years on nickel wire, it can destroy them quite quickly. That said, you just need different cutters appropriate for the job. Of course we do always prefer to use the crappiest...
  6. D

500k reverse taper, no-load tone pot.

Allparts. Get the 500k reverse audio, but you have to cut the ring to make it no-load yourself.
  7. D

Late 70's Les Paul issues

I would add another monkey wrench, and mention that when your guitar was built, the folks doing the wiring were stoned out of their gourds 90% of the time, and what was specified often doesn't match what was installed. They standard wiring was supposed to be 300k linear volume and 500k audio...
  8. D

Compound Radius Necks and Saddle Adjustment Question

All this said, for many setups (largely dependent on playing style), I do not actually aim to match the board radius perfectly, but rather find better results with progressive increase in string height from treble to bass rather than even increments of increase. It's a subtle adjustment, and...
  9. D

My point is though, if you follow the method of individual string measurements, you can achieve a radius perfectly consistent with the board. In fact, if you have a good eye for tight measurements, this method can often match a radius better than with radius gauges. I simply find the use of...
  10. D

I'm not necessarily advocating setting up by feel, but rather pointing out that with good practices of measuring individual string heights in saddle adjustments, that measuring radius is irrelevant. If your board were perfectly at 12" radius throughout, and you adjusted your saddles to .060" at...
  11. D

Same way you'd set up any guitar - by measuring and incrementally adjusting the action of each string individually. The only time a radius gauge is of any use in setup is for shaping one piece saddles (acoustic/archtop) which are not individually adjustable, wherein the convention is to set the...
  12. D

Measuring fretboard radius

Well if the board radius in inconsistent across its width right now, it will be up to the person refretting it to correct that and true it up to whatever radius the deem most suitable. So it doesn't matter much how off or uneven it reads now, but rather what radius you will level it to before...
  13. D

Measuring fretboard radius

The answer may depend on what exactly it is you need these measurements for.
  14. D

G String Ring

Nope. It was an idea I had to at least make a model of, but have no intentions of making/distributing/selling anything like this. I was just hoping someone else would bring it to market, because I know it could be useful to many. GraphTech seemed the ideal choice, because it does need to be...
  15. D

G String Ring

Your desire to add more break angle on the G without drilling another hole is not uncommon. That's why I came up with this. Pitched the product to GraphTech, but they didn't bite on it. Short of that, the nut slot can be cut to improve this, but this can be tricky with no room for error...
  16. D

Setting intonation with Peterson Strobosoft...how close to "0" ?

It's important to note that the existence of any "precise" note on a stringed instrument is one of the biggest fairy tales in this field. From the attack through decay, on a good day you might see variance of 3-5¢. In many circumstances it will be much greater than this. If you try to...
  17. D

Stew Mac Amber tint

It's a useful pigment, but not quite an accurate vintage amber when used alone. I typically mix it with a little bit of tobacco brown, sometimes even a tiny smidgeon of black, to get a more realistic aged amber lacquer shade.
  18. D

Does rolling back the tone knob equate to a lower resistance volume pot?

With the range we're talking here, yes, a 500k volume with a 500k tone rolled back to 300k would sound the same as a 300k volume with a 500k tone full up. You don't pass the threshold of the cap having any significant influence until you get down well below the 100k range on the tone pot, so...
  19. D

Ease My Insecurity About Neck Scale Length

I don't have my computer at home with records to give specific numbers, but I do not recall seeing anything like this on Fenders. There are of course inevitable minor tooling errors scattered through any production, but Fenders I've measured have always been pretty accurate to a true 25.5" 12th...
  20. D

Ease My Insecurity About Neck Scale Length

Watch this video. Gibson uses a 24.75" base scale length, but due to their atypical fret spacing, they end up at what would be 24.57" scale length by common definition. They've never actually made a true 24_9/16" scale, nor have they changed anything intentionally in the last 70 years, but...
  21. D

String tuning ?

The confusion stems from your looking at it from a mistaken perspective of constants bs variables. Understandable confusion, but when it clicks, you'll smack your forehead with a "d'oh! I get it!" If the string tension were constant, yes, adjusting the saddle would change the pitch. The tension...
  22. D

Is there a way to doctor a low slot in a nut?

I've used the superglue / baking soda fix more times than I care to admit, but was never really satisfied with it, and always viewed it as temporary. About ten years ago I got setup with the equipment for dental fills, and that works fantastic. Of course if you don't need it regularly it can be...
  23. D

Tone Pot Values

I've taken a similar approach for a few players who find the usable range too packed in to the bottom half, and want to spread it out more evenly through the whole sweep. Usually I find a 100k no load pit to work fairly well in these cases, sometimes adding a 220-470k resistor between the middle...
  24. D

Compound radius necks....what radius do you set up the bridge saddles?

If you adjust strings individually by measuring to desired action at the 12th, it works itself out without having to calculate or articulate any radius at all.
  25. D

Replaced volume pot (twice) and it still cuts out? Solder Joints all look good...

This is a typical symptom of having overheated the pots when they were being installed. Could be any number of other things, but going by your description this would be my first suspect.