• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Gnarlly

Will digital amp converts miss tube swapping for different flavors/tones?

A thought occurred to me while checking out reviews and demos of the new Fender Tone Master Deluxe and Twin Reverb. Those amps sound great from what I'm hearing (I haven't tried one in person yet) - like a well-tuned Deluxe or Twin. Lighter weight, multiple wattage settings, DI out, and...
  2. Gnarlly

Gotta love some of the questions we receive from potential buyers . . .

Just received this one today in response to a guitar I have listed on Reverb (and eBay and C-list): (no editing besides censored word): Yo looks pre f'n [expletive censored] sexy. I forgot my pay pal password. But my mom gots one but I don't get paid till next week Friday and then it'll...
  3. Gnarlly

NGD: 2017 Gibson SG Faded

This is the third Gibson SG I have owned, and the second faded. I currently have a white 2011 "Guitar Center Exclusive" Standard (Burstbuckers with coil taps instead of standard pickups; rosewood fretboard) and used to own a mid-2000's SG Faded in cherry finish. I purchased this one new in...
  4. Gnarlly

Super Champ XD: I finally found the right speaker! (10" speakers review)

So after owning a Super Champ XD for a few years, I believe I have finally found the right speaker upgrade: the Weber 10F125, 30 watts, no dope. One that retains the core bright tone of the stock speaker, but with much greater efficiency (volume), more clarity, more responsive feel, and the...
  5. Gnarlly

Rivera Rockcrusher vs. Bad Cat Unleash

Rivera Rockcrusher vs. Bad Cat Unleash. Give me your pros and cons. I'm looking to attenuate a Marshall 2204 and 4104 (50 watt master volume models) as I rarely can get the master above 1.5 these days. Both attenuators are in the same price range, but the Unleash offers additional features...
  6. Gnarlly

Scumback 65 watt BM75 + ?????

I'm planning on doing some speaker swapping and mixing/matching soon. Primary amp that I will use with these speakers is a 1982 Marshall 2204 modded for EL34s; this is a "warmer/darker" 2204 with lower plate voltage. I currently have a WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30 combo in an Avatar traditional 2x12...
  7. Gnarlly

NGB: New Guitar Build - Warmoth Strat with PRS "Faded Blue Jean" finish

So a couple months ago I felt the urge to build another partscaster. This is the first one I built, almost 15 years ago, and it is still my favorite guitar after numerous pickup swaps (it's now on it's fourth neck . . .). One-piece tung-oiled lightweight swamp ash body, Robert Cray signature...
  8. Gnarlly

Zoom G3 - sound bypass when using tuner?

I just received a Zoom G3 though I have not had much time to play around with it. Not as simple as my M13 for live use, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway (at least to use as a backup). When in tuner mode, the M13 does not pass though any sound, which I really like. But playing around...
  9. Gnarlly

Did I just purchase some G12-65 speakers from Dan Spitz (Anthrax)?

I recently purchased some G12-65 speakers from eBay and got shipment confirmation today. Glancing at the email I noticed the name in the email address (not giving out the email address): Candi Spitz. Normally, I don't know or care who is married to who, but when I was young I was (and still...
  10. Gnarlly

Fender Deluxe Reverb faceplate with numbers?

Anyone know where to find a Deluxe Reverb front faceplate/control panel that has numbers for the control settings? I'm thinking about replacing the control knobs with cream barrel knobs, but to make it look "right," the faceplate should have numbers. Thanks. :huh
  11. Gnarlly

I will probably never own another nitro guitar; am i crazy?

Yeah, it's a spin-off thread, but it rings true for me :bonk Who cares if my poly guitars chip instead of cracking/checking. I could care less about any "roadworn" "vintage" or "relic" look. In fact, I'm not going for any look; guitar playing isn't a fashion show for me. I play what sounds...
  12. Gnarlly

New Yngwie signature Marshall. Opinions?

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=YJM100 I'm skeptical about the build quality and really want to see some gut shots, but otherwise, this new amp has some very nice features, along with a classic look (from the front at least). I would prefer built-in digital delay over...
  13. Gnarlly

Changed my mind about the Marshall Class 5 . . .

It's actually not a bad little amp. The first one I tried months ago did not sound that great. I was in GC yesterday killing time, and got to try a new one (3 piece back). It sounded pretty good cranked up, with very nice sustain and easily controlled feedback. I still had to keep the bass...
  14. Gnarlly

Bogner Shiva EL34 1x12 combo - live band setting

Here are a couple clips of my stock 2003 Bogner Shiva EL34 1x12 combo (Celestion CL80 speaker) at my band's most recent small bar gig. Master volume low (enough to keep up with drums). Guitar is my partscaster - all clips using the bridge position (swamp ash body, Robert Cray neck, SD SSL-1's...
  15. Gnarlly

EVH 5150 III vs. Bogner Ecstasy

I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these two amps and a matching cab. I like most of the clips I have heard and the features of both amps. However I am worried about reliability with amps as complicated as these, and would prefer to buy new so I have a warranty. 5 years for the...
  16. Gnarlly

Funny CL post - SG headstock repair :)

I got a kick out of this one: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/1826448252.html :rotflmao (mods: not meant to be a "religious" post)
  17. Gnarlly

Need neck pickup recommendations - see inside for requirements

OK, I'm looking for a pickup that meets the following requirements: -neck position only (22 fret super-strat w/Floyd). -must fit in a humbucker slot. -decent, not too dark, PAF type sound and output in full humbucking mode with only a 250k volume pot (I prefer a 250k with a JB in the bridge...
  18. Gnarlly

"The Circle Is Now Complete" - going back to Marshalls

Looking back, I think I have owned over 30 amps in my lifetime. My first tube amp was a Marshall, and then ever since I have spent years experimenting and owning various other brands and models. Call it GAS, ADD, whatever. And now, I think I'm going to end up back to where I started. I've...
  19. Gnarlly

Single-channel amp, preamp volume maxed, no fx loop - solo boost?

I'm thinking about using my old JCM800 at practice and gigs. The only issue I am a little worried about is solo boosting. I like to run the preamp on 10, there is no FX loop, and I don't want to mod it. Running an OD or clean boost just adds gain and compression, but not much volume. How do...
  20. Gnarlly

Celestion Gold 10" - Anyone tried one? Reviews?

I'm thinking about getting a more efficient speaker for my Princeton Reverb for times when I want to gig it. I actually really like the stock, chimey C10R, but it is very inefficient and more of a practice volume speaker. Not interested in 12" speakers with this amp. My initial thought was...
  21. Gnarlly

Avatar Vintage 2x12 - review/comments?

Inspired by the "new" Marshall I picked up in a trade a couple days ago (see this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/599291), I'm considering a new cabinet to go along with it; I'm currently using the cab/speaker of my Shiva combo with it. I don't want to spend too...
  22. Gnarlly

1981 Marshall 2204 - questions

I just picked up a 1981 Marshall 2204 (vertical inputs, chassis mounted pots and jacks, blah, blah, blah) in mint condition as part of a trade (it literally looks as if it has been kept in a closet for the past 25+ years). All original, with no mods at all: 6550 power tubes, bright cap still...
  23. Gnarlly

"fuzz/buzz" overtone on clean channel

I am experiencing what I would describe as a "fuzz" or slight "buzz" overtone on the clean channel of my Bogner Shiva, even at very low volume settings. My Shiva is an older model (silver back panel); EL34 1x12 combo. This is with the reverb turned off, with the master low, and with the preamp...
  24. Gnarlly

New Amp Day: Fender PRRI (also vs. DRRI)

Yesterday I received my Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue from the Musician's Friend call-in sale. I've owned a DRRI for several years (my main practice and small gig amp), so here's a quick review for those that are interested in the PRRI and want to know how it compares to the DRRI...
  25. Gnarlly

Fender Fuzz-Wah pedal?

I just ordered a Princeton Reverb reissue from MF at their "phone-in" sales price ($659), and it comes with a "gift" of a Fender Classics Series Fuzz-Wah pedal (on backorder at the moment). Has anyone used one of these? Are these legit pedals, or jokes? For the price they normally go for, I'd...