• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. S

AB165 bias conversion

That's what I did (my tech anyway..)
  2. S

Custom Brown Tweed Style Logos?

The TDPRI thread is titled "amp nameplate source" under the Shock Brothers forum. quote form that thread: "Just thought I'd pass this along. I was looking for someone to make me a custom nameplate and emailed a few people on Etsy. Ended up hearing back from Mindy here...
  3. S

'67 Bassman down, photos inside

Hey Mike, The filter caps are about 10 years old and seem to be fine for now. No ripple noises or flabby output. Thanks!
  4. S

Well, 4 months had passed and I just couldn't take it anymore, I got it fixed with a 30 cent 100K resistor. I had replaced what looked like fried screen resistors, but that didn't cure the problem. Last week I found a video on YouTube that showed how to check voltages (relatively safely) in a...
  5. S

OK Mike, Both resistors on 4 and 6 are 464 ohms. The resistors to ground off pin 8 of each socket read "OL" on my meter at its max setting of 2M. The AB165 layout does not show a value. I'm not sure where to go on the bias currrent resistors because the bias adjustment was modded years ago...
  6. S

Left is at 1.5 Right is at 1.444 I just off the phone with my friend who is an amp tech. We are going to swap those and go from there. He said they might measure OK cold, but it could be a different story at temperature. Thanks for your replies all!
  7. S

I am assuming these are fried? What would cause this? Also, as a precaution, do I need to replace the filter caps?
  8. S

Well, I left my amp on all night on accident Thursday night. I woke up the next day and shut it down and went about my business. That evening I powered it up and the output was severely diminished. It sounded like a dying fuzz pedal. I shut it down and went through the steps: cables different...
  9. S

characteristics of 5881 tubes.

Other threads are saying they break up sooner than Winged C 6L6's for example. I might have to find out since I am using the Tung Sols. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/524952&highlight=winged
  10. S

Anybody put a Master volume on a plexi Marshall?

Can someone tell me what Lar-Mar master is and VVR? Sounds interesting. thanks
  11. S

Anybody put a Master volume on a plexi Marshall?

Can someone tell me what Lar-Mar master is and VVR? Sounds interesting. thanks
  12. S

Is a 30ohm load safe for my amp?

Thank you all for those detailed responses-and the education.
  13. S

Is a 30ohm load safe for my amp?

I am trying to find out because I am thinking of buying the Ultimate Attentuator that has a 30 ohm load.. I have a 4 ohm amp and an 8 ohm amp, and I don't want to ruin them I am confused as to why THD and others insist on impedence matching for the safety of your amp, whereas the UA has a one...
  14. S

67 super reverb has distorted sound when note decays

Like Scott said, you could have bad voice coils on one or more speakers. This happened to me recently when I bought a used pair of Webers. Just sent them to him this week for repair. Here is an easy way to eliminate the possible cause(s) of your problem before getting inside the circuit...
  15. S

Two Stroke Amp by Dave Hunter

That's a really nice sounding amp-despite the fact you said the high's weren't coming through as much as you would like. I have a Silver Bell in my EL-84 amp and I love it to death. I want to buy this book and build an amp. A project like this seems the way to go. My ultimate goal is to build...
  16. S

Bassman 6v6

I just used Substi-tubes in mine.