• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. crazymauler

Rat Mod Question

I did the Monte Allums mod to one, testing after each step. The final result was a huge improvement, but by far the most significant was swapping its stock op amp with the LM308. Instant improvement, I could have stopped there. The other changes all made positive but very subtle improvements. As...
  2. crazymauler

Bonamassa FF vs Analogman LG Sun Face

The BARTs are enormous sounding, massive gain... they do clean up remarkably well though. The NKT Red Dots clean up really well too, but they're darker/wooly-er sounding and might not be the best fit for humbuckers. The 2N527 is another great choice, a bit higher gain and a bit more treble than...
  3. crazymauler

The Fuzz Face Bureau

Hmm, okay I don’t know that one very well. But just try getting a reading from each leg of Q2, one of them will have a somewhat normal reading (maybe ~4.5V), the other two almost nothing. Then you could play with those bias pots. I’m guessing one of them will show you bias (voltage) going up &...
  4. crazymauler

The Fuzz Face Bureau

Which Fuzz Face is it? I believe the underside of the PCB has the collector leg labelled with a “c,” usually the middle leg of Q2.
  5. crazymauler

Bonamassa FF vs Analogman LG Sun Face

I own both (LG and the full size Bonamassa) and they’re great with singles or humbuckers. Into a Fender they’re great. The LG has a tiny bit more top end zing, the Bonamassa is a tiny bit darker and also cleans up a bit better. FWIW I’ve owned several Sun Faces and the LG is my favorite, and it...
  6. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

Ah wow, okay. I’ve not experienced much difference in downstream pedals having an affect (assuming you’ve got good signal flow throughout).
  7. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

Make sure your Sun Face is first in the chain! Guitar > Sun Face > everything else...
  8. crazymauler

Q: Why huge RevivalDrive volume difference through cab, but not direct?

Gotcha, that makes sense. FWIW I've found that when comparing IR's (through my studio monitors) vs. the cabinet in the room, the sound and experience is quite different, and my pedals behave slightly differently as well (even when dialing up an identical IR to the cab). I chalk it up to...
  9. crazymauler

Q: Why huge RevivalDrive volume difference through cab, but not direct?

Not sure if this matters or helps, but are you using an IR that’s close to/the same as your actual cabinet and mic/placement? Also, are you comparing the IR to your mic’d cabinet in a separate & isolated room, listening to both through the same monitors?
  10. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

Low Gain Sun Face, I posted a pic 3-4 posts up... :)
  11. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

That clip sounds great! I love my LG into PRRI, though it’s got a 12” Greenback which probably helps, and I have the Princeton volume ~5 where it’s just starting to break up. Not a fan of fuzz into super clean/bright amp, that’s definitely where you need a light OD inbetween (KOT is a great choice).
  12. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I've been through several Ge Sun Faces. They're all good, but the LG (Low Gain) ended my search. It's fantastic—killer fuzz tone, amazing cleanup. A close second was the 2N527 (has a nice bright cutting top end to it, the cleanup tone is pretty bright). The BART is almost too over the top...
  13. crazymauler

Rush/Lifeson tones (HYF, ASoH, Presto, RtB) with modern equipment?

This is really great stuff! I'm going to experiment with the two chorus concept, and also play with the idea of a preamp pedal into the power section of the amp, that's a great tip as well. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas!
  14. crazymauler

@RockDebris wow this is really cool and really well done! You may be on to something with the stacked chorus idea being a key to those tones (rather than just the GK preamps). And maybe just running things a bit brighter since I don't have active single coils with an ebony fretboard. May I ask...
  15. crazymauler

Anyone know of any preamps (or pedals) that would sound similar to some of the 80's GK units? (2000CPL, 2100SEL, 250ML)
  16. crazymauler

Anyone have any tips/tricks/pedals for making passive single coils sound/behave like active?
  17. crazymauler

@Benz2112 Yeah that's a good idea on the Jazz Chorus, that might be a good choice for those bright "fast" transient clean tones, and the chorus would be a bonus. IIRC Alex used that amp here and there, but not exactly sure what songs/albums? Do any of the newer solid state amps (Quilter?) do...
  18. crazymauler

I love Rush and Lifeson, and I'm quite fond of his tones from those albums mentioned. I realize many don't like this era, and there are other threads on Lifeson's tones before and after these albums, but I really love those albums and his tones and parts he created for them. I know pretty well...
  19. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

@stratpaulguy86 Wow that sounds Righteous! <sorry> I'ld love to know your signal chain in that clip, especially the amp and cabinet!
  20. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I think a BART would work great. It has a tremendous amount of fuzz/gain but also cleans up incredibly well. I ended up moving from the BART and getting an LG (low gain) and it's "the one." Works amazingly well for my setup (mostly HB guitars into slightly breaking up amps). I also have a 2N527...
  21. crazymauler

Same riff, 4 different distortion boxes. You be the judge.

#3 was significantly louder and brighter, which I think skews the results. They all sounded fine though! IME at higher gain settings pedals start to sound similar, and most any cranked high-gain pedal can sound pretty good as long as you're using a great sounding amp(s) and guitar (which you...
  22. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I had the NKT Red Dot medium gain, and compared to the LG I think the LG is not as dark/wooly (has a bit more top end that I really love). The NKT Red Dot cleaned up a tiny bit better but clean-up tone was a bit darker, whereas the LG clean-up sounds perfectly bright (but not too much) and very...
  23. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

Well even though the LG is "low gain" it's definitely a fuzz and there's plenty of it, way way more gain than a KOT. I have the High Gain version KOT and even dimed it doesn't even come close to the amount of gain in the LG Sun Face (plus it's quite a different flavor of gain). Even though it's...
  24. crazymauler

Analogman Sunface club

I recently received an LG and am blown away. It's "the one." I've been through many Sun Faces (and Dunlop Fuzz Faces), and they're all great, but many just weren't quite right for me. But the LG is everything I was looking for, absolutely amazing fuzz tone, not too dark/wooly, not too...