• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. D

Help a guy find the amp of his life

If you ARE considering something with a bit more power...I can recommend something. I play strat/tele/335/Les Paul through a Victoria 50212 that has the lush full cleans you may be looking for. Based on a tweed circuit it has the mids that you probably liked in the tweed deluxe. Also I find the...
  2. D

Help with blown fuse in Tone King amp

+2 Contact Tone King's Mark Bartell. I have done so a couple of times and he is quick to reply.
  3. D

The Best Vintage Amp You Have Ever Owned

My favourite with tele, strat, 335, or LP!
  4. D

What's the smallest, best sounding amp you've ever owned?

The under-rated Fender Champ II but through a 2x10 or 1x12 cab. Beautiful cleans. Also love the Fendery cleans , to my ear, in my Carr Mercury ..with EL34!!!
  5. D

Anyone else here LOVE the Jensen Alnico RI's?

I was testing quite a few 10" spkrs thru my 4x10 cab, hooked up in pairs.....and guess what clean tones I like best with my Fender amps? Yup....Jensen P10R's.
  6. D

Tone King players...speaker swap?

I have owned my Comet 40a since 2003....still my favourite amp. Period. I did find it overly bright for my taste too, so had the "bright cap" replaced with one of half the orig. value...as per a suggestion from a fellow GPer, (thanks Jon S.!). Had a non-invasive toggle switch mounted on the...
  7. D

Brazilian R7...to change or not to change?

I did buy it new on it's own merits....plays great, huge vibe, even acoustic tone, and lots of acoustic resonance. Found out later it is a confirmed Braz fingerboard! What luck! But it did make me wonder about changing things on it. Pickups (RS Fralin True 60's) and their upgrade pots/caps...
  8. D

Brazilian R7...to change or not to change?

Hey all! Just wondering what all you guys think about taking a stock Gibson Historic 2003 R7 Brazilian and adding an RS Kit and a set of paf clones to it. Am I nuts for fooling with something that is considered "desirable and collectable"?? I bought this thing to play so I would hate to have...
  9. D

Need to Know About Fender Custom Shop '54 Reissue Strats

No COA to go by. The serial number on the neck plate has R8388. The "Fender Custom Shop" logo on the back of the headstock is in black ink rather than embossed. The maple fingerboard has the fake weak patterns that I have seen on the new '56 Relics. It does look like mostly relic'ing rather than...
  10. D

Need to Know About Fender Custom Shop '54 Reissue Strats

Can anyone tell me about these. I can't seem to find any info on them. I think they were late 80's to mid 90's Custom Shop editions with Custom Shop 50's pickups. The one I have is super-relic'd (I am told). Has a real woody tone and feels great...like a real worn in '54 would. Were these...
  11. D

Help Me Sort Out these cabs!

Tonight I was trying to find a good cab to run my Fender Champ II through. It has a Weber F150 in it and sound alright on it's own with a tele and a vintage Ibanez GB10 jazz box. I tried it through a 2x10 with Jensen P10r/C10r speaker combination and it sounded much better. Fuller, sweeter, more...
  12. D

Antiquities or Seth Lovers better for an LP or 335?

Antiquities are currently my favourite PAF clone. I have a set in an R9 Les Paul. However, someone I know who has tried several sets of antiquities noticed that they are all a little different...some sets he didnt like. Bottom line, try them to see.
  13. D

Greco Zemaitis?

Recently, I heard Don Felder play a metal front Les Paul at one of his charity concerts and was blown away by the different tone. I lust after one myself and have been impressed by the build quaility, playability, and tone of these Greco-Zemaitis guitars.
  14. D

So I put an RS "Vintage" kit in my Les Paul -

Check out what acme has to say about 50's wiring re: the pros and cons. Apparently, there's still no free lunch. http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Les_Paul_Assembly_With_Humbuck_P1530C185.cfm
  15. D

OD for Les Paul / Carmen Ghia combo

Try the OCD v.1 with it. I play Historic R8's and R9's thru a Vox Heritage 15 normal channel (2 EL84's like your Dr Z) and this combination really rocks. I also have a ptp hw'd Red Snapper on my pedalboard for comparison.
  16. D

So many damn choices... what should I get?!

Fuchs ODS 30 and 2x12 cab with Celestion Blues. One of my favourite combinations.
  17. D

Mini Rotomatic Grover Machine Heads

My Anderson tele uses them 6 in-line although the buttons look a little different. Great tuners IMO. Not sure how they would look or fit on a LP 3 per side.
  18. D

Hovland musicap?

From frequenting this forum and the les paul forum, I think the consensus is that the Hoveland cap is an improvement over ceramic caps and fake bumblebees (stock on Gibson Historics). The improvement is in terms of letting the guitar's individual tonality shine thru rather than coloring it. The...
  19. D

Best Strat you ever heard in your life?

My fave clean quacky strat tone is Knopler and Dire Straits/Dire Straits, their first album. Check out "In the Gallery" and of course "Sultans..." I like Hendrix's tone in Wind Cries Mary and some others. I like the overdriven strat sounds of Lynard Skynard in Sweet Home Alabama. As for...
  20. D

Fuchs Lucky 7 or Bad Cat Mini Cat II?

Go for the L7. I tried the Lucky 7 and loved it. It had incredibly toneful cleans and with Fulltone pedals the OD was sweet. I struggled to choose between it and the ODS 30 but because I had a low watt amp already.... I tried the Mini-cat and did not like it.
  21. D

Let's list the 1-5w tube amps

I have a Canadian built Kingsley Deluxe 1 single-ended 6V6, 6L6, or EL34 1x12 combo. Clean channel has nice chimey rounded fat notes and is surprisingly loud....enough for a house jam with no drummer. Takes pedals well too. Gain channel is harmonics rich power tube distortion and fun to play...
  22. D

My New Fuchs ODS30!

Congrats! I, too fell for the Fuchs ODS30, but in a head config. I run it thru a Jenkins Hwy 61 2x12 cab with two Celestion blues and both the cleans and overdrive tones are superb. I like mine with 2 6L's rather than the 6V's. All settings sound good to my ears! A very responsive amp!
  23. D

Which AC30??

Check out the new Vox Heritage AC30 that is just out. If it sounds as good as the Vox Heritage AC15 does, which I own, it should be a good choice. I think Snakebite Music had one on their website for $1900 but it's sold now.