Search results

1. jcshirke

Rickenbacker 360 Truss Rod Adjustment

There's no one more capable or accomplished in the entire midwest. I knew that comment would bother some people. It's not so much that they are cheap or poorly built--it's the design.
  2. jcshirke

Yeah, I was mistaken about that. I thought the one I grabbed was for my Gibsons. It's not...it's smaller. Still doesn't fit the other truss rod, though. My local luthier wonders if someone may have replaced the nut on it. He also said Rickenbackers are rather poorly made/designed, and the truss...
  3. jcshirke

Also, shouldn't this stuff come with the guitar? I have a 330/12 and a 360/6. I got both used, but neither case has any tools from the manufacturer included. I also just checked my PRS case (bought new), and there are no tools in it either. Are guitar manufacturers not including these tools...
  4. jcshirke

They sell that stuff at True Value or Ace? Whodathunk it? I was thinking about calling Rick, if no one here knew for sure. The freakin' rods are reversed?? I'm sure glad you told me that b/c I don't have any literature in my Rick cases that say a damn thing about that rather important detail...
  5. jcshirke

I've never had to adjust the truss rod(s) on my Rick 360. Just decided to do so tonight b/c it is in serious need. Anyway, I forgot that it is a dual truss rod. No real big deal, I figure...I read up on it quickly. Some people say you can adjust the relief to suit your playing needs on the...
  6. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

Hey Kids, Guess what? Problem solved, and I'm not too embarrassed to admit my ignorance/stupidity, in the hope that it will spare someone else the same problem down the road. (These threads live on the interwebs forever.) I'm almost certain the problem was due to the fact that the wind of my A...
  7. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

You're right. It shouldn't. My hunch is that's probably not it, but I'll have my guy take a look if changing strings doesn't fix it.
  8. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

I've been wanting to try CM strings anyway, so I'll probably do that. Thanks. I'll also look into a high fret.
  9. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

Okay...interesting. Certainly can't hurt to change strings and see if it makes a difference at all. Thank you for chiming in.
  10. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

There's no fret buzz, but I could raise the action some by making a slight truss rod adjustment or adjusting the saddles. The strings aren't brand new--that's for sure. But I would assume (maybe I'm mistaken??) that overall the strings would age at a similar rate, and the A string really sounds...
  11. jcshirke

Dead Spot on a Strat

I have a Strat--a masterbuilt--that seems to have a dead spot on the A string. I think it's most apparent on the first to third or fourth frets, but overall the entire length of the A string sounds dead--like a "thump"--relative to the other strings on the guitar. What could be causing it? One...
  12. jcshirke

Frets Protruding Over Neck

Maybe I'm not quite following. If they are filed back, but then the wood expands again in the coming months, wouldn't that leave a small gap instead of having the frets flush with the side of the neck as they should be? In other words, I could potentially be looking at the same problem--but in...
  13. jcshirke

Small(er) Fender Style Saddle Screws

Thanks...I ordered from there, and I was able to get them in much smaller quantities than on ebay. I'm trying two different sizes and ordered a 20 pack of each. I appreciate everyone's help.
  14. jcshirke

My concern about having them leveled off was that when the seasons change and humidity rises again, the frets would then be sunk in a bit too deep. Does that ever happen?
  15. jcshirke

I just looked them up and only saw one size for the 4-40 spec screw.
  16. jcshirke

Does anyone sell saddle screws for Fender guitars that are shorter than the standard ones? On some of my guitars, the standard ones stick up too high and dig into the palm of my right hand while playing. I know this is a pretty common issue. I also know they can be sawed off. But does anyone...
  17. jcshirke

When guitar necks dry out, they shrink, which causes the ends of the frets to stick out a bit over the edges of the neck. It's obviously a problem in colder, drier climates. My question: Can humidity reverse the process? Or is it necessary to have the fret ends filed down? Thanks.
  18. jcshirke

Dual Truss Rod Adustments

I remember seeing that, but they didn't say anything about which rod to adjust first--or even if it was necessary to do both. And I read elsewhere that adjusting dual rods can be a bit more hazardous if you over adjust.
  19. jcshirke

Okay...I'll adjust in baby steps. One of the guitars is quite bad, though. I can almost slide my finger under the strings above the 12th fret.
  20. jcshirke

I don't know exactly. One is probably early 2000s. The other might be roughly the same...maybe late 90s? One is a 330 string. The other a 360 6 string.
  21. jcshirke

Hi, I need to adjust the neck relief on my Rickenbackers. Both guitars have dual truss rods. Are there any guidelines for adjust necks with two truss rods? For instance, should I adjust the rod nearest the treble strings first (1/4 to a 1/2 turn), and then adjust the other rod? Or do you make a...
  22. jcshirke

I Thought I Had Every Hex Key Known To Man, But...

They're clean on all my Strats at the moment, but that's good advice to keep in mind. What's the best way to clean them? Thanks.
  23. jcshirke

I'll ask around again, but so far I've struck out. Thanks.
  24. jcshirke

Thank you. And now I've discovered that I can't buy one locally at any hardware store. Looks like it's an online order for Stew Mac, etc. Why doesn't this stuff come with the guitar(s)?? Grrrr...
  25. jcshirke

What size allen wrench/hex key do I need to adjust the saddles on a Fender Custom Shop/Masterbuilt '50s Strat? The smallest one I have--which I thought for certain was the right one-- is still just slightly too big. I'm hoping I can pick up the right size at a hardware store today. Thanks in...
Top Bottom