• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. S

Anyone use the Helix for Led Zeppelin?

Old thread, but today I found myself trying to get the Heartbreaker tone. I’m aware he used a telecaster for it.... but there’s no amp in the Helix catalog that really gets there completely.... or so I thought.... That video earlier in this thread isn’t anywhere near it. When I looked into...
  2. S

I've never seen anything quite like his.

Lots of electric bass players use it, but I agree... haven't seen too many guitarists apply it to that style of music. That guy sounds great! Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  3. S

Helix 3.1?

Ok so I did some testing. The reason I got rid of my Maxon AD999 was because my Timeline got pretty darn close and it can do stereo. I just did some comparisons between the Line 6 Helix Adriatic Delay and the Timeline's bucket brigade delay. There's a more pronounced bass roll off on the...
  4. S

My latest attempt at sounding more “jazzy”... opinions wanted

I think a lot of the advice given here is really en pointe. Still working on all of it too as I tell my students. I literally just told a student last week... stop playing w/the backing tracks and practice only with the click on 2 & 4. We’ll see where you land in a couple weeks. To that end...
  5. S

Helix 3.1?

That’s great! Don’t know why I’ve never really checked that one out too much but I’ll tinker with it. The Ad999 was my fav delay for the longest time! Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  6. S

Helix 3.1?

I’d like them to add more delay time to the Bucket Brigade delay... ala Maxon Ad999... or just model that pedal outright. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  7. S

Which chord name is correct... Bm7b5b9 or Bm7b9b5?

I think D-7/B is the cleanest way of doing it... it’s an oddball chord so it might make a player hesitate if they’re sight reading it. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  8. S

Helix 3.0?

Not sure if anyone’s mentioned or you already know, but lowering the input impedance.... like below 100k can make a big difference. I find some fuzzes “sag” for than others so this alleviates it. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  9. S

What is meant by a line?

In the solo for stairway to heaven, it starts out with that pentatonic lick/riff. As that solo gets going, he does start playing longer “lines” or ideas which stretch over the bar line. I don’t think lines are exclusive to jazz. Many “lines” do tend to be mono-rhythmic if that’s even a...
  10. S

Helix 3.0?

With regards to IRs, yeah, digging the York Audio stuff. It's nice that they have a blend of two mics on 1 IR when you want that sound, otherwise it means setting up at least a second cab. I know most of those mics and what to expect from them, but if I didn't, I couldn't fathom going through...
  11. S

Another boring Dorian Question :)

Some good points already. The biggest one.... just go try it and discover for yourself. Deal with the eternal question "what does it all mean?" after. To quote the late great EVH... if it sounds good, it is good. Who cares how you did it? Now to @JonR and @Ed DeGenaro's points on what you...
  12. S

Ok, school me on Jeff Beck.

Yes! It was so random too the way it was described in the book. The Jeff Beck/ Stevie Wonder story is another epic one. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  13. S

VH Eruption Room Mics...and more...

Man thanks for this! Really glad you posted it. The hairs on my body are standing up watching it! Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  14. S

One thing I still can’t get over is how Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck all grew up within a 12 mile radius of each other. All played in the Yardbirds, and all revolutionized music/guitar playing. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  15. S

I “re” discovered Jeff when the Ronnie Scott DVD came out. It’s a great cross section of his work up until then. I was enamoured with him so much I did a couple of tribute concerts to his music in 2016/2018 Since the Ronnie Scott video, he released two other live concerts which are great...
  16. S

York Audio Impulse Response Library

I always go to a 4x10 cab in Helix for most things. Saw the Bassman was on sale, so went for it yesterday. I like it very much. A little more honk in the mids and a bit more punch. I tend to like a 47 style mic right in the center. Kind of embodies what I like about the 57/121 combo but...
  17. S

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Here in Canada, neither Long & Mcquade nor Cosmo Music have the product in their system despite being listed on the Neural site as an international dealer. No sales person from either place has any additional info except to say there is politics involved and they’re still in talks w/Neural on...
  18. S

Anything wrong with not playing over changes or targeting chord tones?

Dude, this is some heavy heavy stuff you’re laying down. It’s the fruition of chord tone playing that is the next level that most don’t know exist. i first caught a glimpse of it years ago from Dave Liebman’s book. Then recently I was listening to George Garzone talking about his chromatic...
  19. S

When I stopped buying guitars for LOOKS & started buying for TONE...

Couple of years ago, I was out for either a gretsch duo jet or a Gibson 335. A friend of mine who also repairs guitars also has quite a selection of new and used gear in his shop. He told me about this one guitar he thought would be perfect for me. It was a brand I'd never heard of and looked...
  20. S

Anything wrong with not playing over changes or targeting chord tones?

I like your post very much... but there is a grand irony. Playing chord tones of changes not there. Playing outside in that way isn't entirely different to playing inside w/chord tones. The application is different. The op's point is something I've confronted many times in my own playing and...
  21. S

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Ah... good to know. Thanks. Sean Meredith-Jones www.seanmeredithjones.com
  22. S

Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Would it be fair to assume that the price from a dealer will be the same as the online price direct? I get that the dealer's price will reflect shipping and whatever applicable charges according to country one would pay anyway... but sometimes they have accounts setup so their shipping is less...
  23. S

1 Step to Memorizing the 7 Diatonic Modes (a fresh way to look at the modes)

I agree with this statement... and yes this forum has had many threads go off the rails on this subject. The biggest thing is people conflate guitar fingerings as modes. But conversely, when we talk about getting the sound of the mode... many guitarists' knowledge of the fretboard is pretty...
  24. S

having a hard time memorizing the notes on the fretboard?

The best thing for me was when I had to start playing tunes in the Real Book that were mostly in flat keys. Reading melodies in different parts of the neck, comping chords in as many places as I could. Even just transposing tunes I knew to other keys. Improvising on all kinds of tunes in...
  25. S

1 Step to Memorizing the 7 Diatonic Modes (a fresh way to look at the modes)

I think it’s a fine video for demoing fretboard geometry. A better demonstration for modes might have been to: 1) play (for example) an F Lydian melody on one single string. then 2) play an E Phrygian melody on the same string. Explain the difference and why they sound different even though...