• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. GDS Racing

Guytron GT-100 appreciation

Wow, thanks for all of the kind words. I've been so busy with a big house renovation project that I haven't had much time to participate here. I had a nice conversation with Guy Hedrick last week. He's doing well and I know he would be really tickled to read some of the comments here. I'll be...
  2. GDS Racing

Why aren't re-ampers built in?

Hi Guys, Guytron is here, alive and kicking. I have just been too busy lately to stop and read The Gear Page. Most of the conversation up to this point has explained the questions posed so far. I would like to clarify a couple minor items however. The GT20 does not have a re-amping (or...
  3. GDS Racing

Indigo Amplification - El Mariachi Nicky Moroch Signature Amplifier

I like it. That amp sounds great in the video. Nicky plays pretty well too. :-)
  4. GDS Racing

Guytron GT-100

Dave, I am sorry you had a bad experience with your GT100. I wish there was something I could do to change your mind. I work on these early GT100s occasionally and I recognize a few things that I would have done differently but overall, they are as good as any other PCB amps I've repaired and...
  5. GDS Racing

Guytron GT-100

Boy I don't get on here enough it appears. :-) Lotsa good comments on the GT100. I appreciate the feedback from real users. We do have a simple mod that helps EL84 tube life and so far it seems to be helping alot. Let me know if you want to try it. We've been trying TAD EL84s lately and...
  6. GDS Racing

Black Friday sale at Guytron!

This Friday, for the first two responders, we will have two Guytron GT100 F/V heads at the unprecedented sale price of $1999. This includes the footswitch and cover and shipping within the continental USA. These two heads are black and ready to go to work on your next gig. (Click image for...
  7. GDS Racing

Chicago AMP & Custom Guitar SHOW ?

I would try to make it. I enjoyed the last Chicago amp show we had.
  8. GDS Racing

Jon Herington (and Steely Dan Rhythm Section) Master Class!!

This is going to be a blast! Everyone should be there. It is being sponsored in part by GDS Amps and Guytron since Jon plays Guytron amplifiers. Contact Jack or me if you have any questions. http://www.gdsamps.com/Photo/CCC_1207_TheArtOfGroove_Flyer2012_FINAL_rev2.jpg
  9. GDS Racing

Guytron

Hi Guys, I only have a minute here but for sure, give me a call. I don't care what settings you run, it should be quiet when not playing. If it is anything else, it needs new tubes or a service. 99% of the time it is tubes and the EL84s go first it seems. Change those out for some JJs or...
  10. GDS Racing

Detroit Guitar and Amp Showcase

It was a great show again this year. We had a lot of fun and made some good contacts. We also really enjoyed catching up with old friends. Kudos to Bill and Matt for putting on a great show. We are looking forward to next year's show and some expansion into guitars.
  11. GDS Racing

Speaker suggestions - Mesa F30

Greg, We're selling Bigtones for $100 plus S&H. Also, they are not made by Eminence. I like the Bigtones much better than any Eminence I have ever tried. A Bigtone 55 sounds like your Huckleberry.
  12. GDS Racing

New at Suhr Amplifiers

Best wishes to Guy and the gang at Suhr. This is a great match and will produce some wonderful results I am sure.
  13. GDS Racing

Guytron GT40 combo...

The GT20 is a couple pounds lighter and the cabinet is two inches smaller in the depth from front to back. Other than that, they are the same. I would choose on tonal preference more than size alone but if size is a serious consideration, the GT20 is definitely smaller and lighter. Send me an...
  14. GDS Racing

18 watt Marshall..Q's for the experienced user please!

Hey Terry, The 18W is great, but then I am very biased! :-) The 18W is not a one-trick-pony at all. It has a ton of different tones, all gorgeous that work in many different areas. The only limitation is its power. You can't get clean tones at gigging levels. For recording, it is...
  15. GDS Racing

Guytron old vs new

Both Guy & I have converted non-F/V GT100s to GT100 F/V specs. It is a large job and depending on the original amp, it can be so invasive as to be cost-prohibitive. Since I barely have time to do everything I have to do and very little of what I want to do, I do not do F/V conversions. I can...
  16. GDS Racing

Groove Tubes 5751M

Actually, the GT100 is a ffairly simple amp if you break itinto its parts. The circuitry is very similar to all the great amps we all love and it is devoid of most of the tricks used to make many lower end high gain amps behave. It behaves because of good design. It does respond well to...
  17. GDS Racing

Groove Tubes 5751M

I don't know about $100 better but I do like the Telefunken in the OD channel of my D-clone. It is smooth. I haven't tried it in a GT100 yet.
  18. GDS Racing

Guytron GT40 combo...

Dan pretty much nailed it. The GT40 is louder. It isn't a huge powerhouse like the GT100 - you need 100 watts for that but it will make clean tones in a band situation, even if it is a loud band. The GT20 won't do that. You have to be in a pretty quiet band to get usable clean tones with any...
  19. GDS Racing

5E3 vs. 18 Watt: FIGHT!

I realize some might consider my opinion in this matter biased, but in my opinion, there is no contest. While the 5E3 is a great amp (I have a '55 5D3 and I love it) it will have a flubby bottom end for the tones you will be making. The 18W will be tight, full-bottomed, aggressive and best of...
  20. GDS Racing

Guytron GT40 combo...

Haha, that is funny. It also begins to touch on the fact that I do this because I enjoy it. If I had to attend metal shows to support my customers, I would close up shop first. Sorry, but I just don't enjoy that stuff and the thing I like about a Guytron is that it makes great tones and is...
  21. GDS Racing

Guytron GT40 combo...

Yeah, that is an early GT20. I have s/n 001 which is the one that Jon Herington used to make the clips on our site. That amp was tweaked by Guy as far as I know and it sounds great. The new ones sound just like it too. But there is some evidence that the early GT20s had some voicing issues...
  22. GDS Racing

Guytron GT40 combo...

Hey, I have a GT40 and I like it alot. :-) The GT40 is basically the same as the GT20 but with EL34s instead of EL84s. That enables it to produce in excess of 40 watts. In order to do that, we change out the transformers and the power tubes and make some changes to the power circuit. The...
  23. GDS Racing

Looking to cover the rest of the bases of what my Mesa Mark V can't give me...

There don't seem to be that many Guytrons on the used market because the owners very seldom sell them. I have a pretty nice non-F/V GT100 that I took on a trade and of course, I have new ones. There is also a new GT100 F/V at Maken' Music in Chicago. To answer your question, yes, they are...
  24. GDS Racing

Tube matching

I've found that. I have had some amps that had pretty mismatched power tubes but the amp sounded great.
  25. GDS Racing

Sennheiser 421 vs. 906 for recording: thoughts?

We use the e906 element in our Guytron HLB cabinets with the built-in microphone. It sounds great.