Search results

1. F

A Little Chuck Berry Appreciation... It ALL Goes Back To Chuck.

I think it goes back to T-Bone. T-Bone and Charlie Christian played together early on and T-Bone eventually influenced Rock guitar (via Chuck) and Charlie Christian influenced Jazz guitar.
  2. F

Major/Minor Pentatonic

C Am Bb Major/Minor licks
  3. F

Bebop and Charlie Parker

Yes. They altered the time feel a bit and added a chorus but essentially it's the Tull song just altered a bit. They also did it with The Long Run, which was based on an R&B song Trying to Live My Life Without You (Otis Clay).
  4. F

Breathe chord name?

Richard Wright, who played keyboard for the band and co-wrote much of The Dark Side of the Moon (1973) said that the chord progressions for the song “Breathe (In the Air)” were influenced by the chord progressions on Kind of Blue. Some sources even state that the structure of the entire album...
  5. F

Cents, Frequency, and Tuning

The guitar always sounds slightly out of tune to me, even if I use tuners etc I'm never totally happy with it, so I just don't bother and just tune the best I can and just play. EVH used to do something to the 2nd string with tuning but that means other things might go more out. Another thing...
  6. F

Pinch Harmonics

I think those are artificial harmonics like Chet Atkins did and I can do those as well but that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking more of using using the index for the pinching (and not the thumb for the pinching) without altering the thumb/index grip on the pick. I didn't know that...
  7. F

Pinch Harmonics

That's the way I also do them as I explained above. Should be able to get them on an unplugged electric, gain helps with certain things like how long the sustain is and tone/harmonic content but still getting them on an unplugged electric is not that hard. First time I got them was with Ibanez...
  8. F

Pinch Harmonics

I had to check how I do them because they are automatic as far as I'm concerned and I've been able to do them whenever I want and I don't practice them and have never been shown how to do them, they are so basic that I don't think anyone needs to bother working them out. I don't really know how...
  9. F

The “other” Hard Days Night opening chord…

Even if I hear it like the above on guitar, I can't help but hear the Banjo, it's so distinctive, even if I just read the lyrics I think Banjo. In the summertime, when the weather is high You can stretch right up and touch the sky When the weather's fine You got women, you got women on your...
  10. F

Looks like they just set some words to it and a Banjo.
  11. F

F add9 at the start and the end https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/i-love-how-excited-he-is-after-playing-a-hard-days-night-chord.1672362/page-2#post-21428395 I think it's a James Bond ending chord sort of thing, except it's used as an intro rather than a ending but it (F add...
  12. F

Malcolm Young - My guitar teacher

Malcolm playing the solo on his Brothers song.
  13. F

AI

It's in the Kemper and Quad Cortex and FaceID and voice recognition and the Military etc and it's coming into Pop and maybe other genres. Bebop AI?, sounds ok I suppose but it's probably going to improve. https://towardsdatascience.com/bebopnet-neural-models-for-jazz-improvisations-4a4d723d0b60
  14. F

Dominant 7th chords in 12 bar blues

Then there is the Cm7 F7 connection which would superimpose Cm7 over C7 (similar to F7 over C7) and there would be the old major/minor coming into it clearly. Cm7 F7 Bb. Bb can be viewed as the VII of C Mixolydian, so a Cm7 F7 Bb over a C7 can land in C Mixolydian land especially when moving...
  15. F

Try playing F7 licks over C7 and then vice versa C7 licks over F7. The F7 licks over C7 can work in a basic Blues way. That to me means that F7 licks can be common over both C7 and F7 (and they often are in practice) and someone can get away with it, the other way around not so much. C7 licks...
  16. F

African savanna pentatonic D C Bb G E C centered on C Transposed up a 4th G F Eb C A F and transposed up a 4th and centered on F Join the above together and the Blues Eb and Bb are available over the common song format I7 (C7) and IV7 (F7) The blues scale came about (possibly) by trying to...
  17. F

Give me your top 10 rock tunes that every guitarist should know when showing up to jam...

Get Back I Just Want To Make Love To You Boom Boom Smokestack Lightning Boogie Chillen'
  18. F

I'm the exact opposite. My Family played Beethoven and Mozart, so that was always available to listen to but I picked up the Geetar because of one thing only and that is the effect of the Minor Pentatonic in a Blues context or in other words the Blues, it was the sound of that, otherwise I...
  19. F

Example of why Clapton is so revered as one of the greatest...

Maybe so but Hendrix was using a Maestro fuzz (fuzz on Satisfaction) through a Fender in 1966 and that has little to do with Clapton imo (it's not like Hendrix got his Blues licks from Clapton but maybe he did get some from Bloomfield who he knew of), so the Blues/Rock 60s boom was going to...
  20. F

I came across some interesting articles about early Jazz. https://www.crj-online.org/v4/CRJ-JazzBluesGospel.php and Julius Weiss, apparently Joplin's teacher. https://www.crj-online.org/v4/CRJ-Treemonisha.php The Beethoven Sonata No 32 swings which is very interesting and it has syncopation...
  21. F

Well, the destination might be (temporarily) C7 with the G7 setting it up. Playing C7 arpeggio notes (no 3rd) over the G7 leads to the Blues minor 3rd note and combining them with G7 (no 3rd) arpeggio notes is equivalent to the Minor Pentatonic. Taking the 3rd out of the G7 and C7 and...
  22. F

Going around (clockwise and/or counterclockwise) the circle of 5ths/4ths in dominants can lead to that. The bridge in rhythm changes tunes as well, I've Got Rhythm/Flintstones. Hey Joe is another one. The circle of 5ths/4ths in dominants has been around since the 1200's I think. The 3rd and...
  23. F

Embracing a simple fact?

Everyone improvises when they talk to someone, I'm doing it now. How can anyone be sure of the exact sentence they are going to say to various people they meet. It's just riffing, they might say something and you improvise something back based on what they just said. People tend to improvise...
  24. F

English traditional blues

The Blues has a certain phrasing of it's own. The pentatonic aspect of any folk music is in sync with the phrasing. The use of a pentatonic in Asian music is very different from Euro Folk or the Blues in terms of phrasing. The Blues can have minor or major pentatonic use and still sound like...
  25. F

Example of why Clapton is so revered as one of the greatest...

There was Michael Bloomfield with Paul Butterfield in 64 or whatever and that was gaining younger fans as well. Even without Mayall and Clapton the Blues would have filtered into mainstream Rock imo via Butterfield and the Stones etc and become louder with bigger events so Clapton and Marshall...
Top Bottom