Search results

1. thosk

Thoughts on a number of attenuators (especially for a Fender bassman BF 1965)

I use the PS2 with my '66 AB165 Bassman. Its glorious. Sometimes you can save a lot of $$ by just getting the best to start with. Don't ask me how I know...
  2. thosk

Fender Deluxe Hand-wired (still has noise issues?)

No Idea if they fixed it but it appears to be the result of having the shared Verb/Trem on both channels, same as with the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.
  3. thosk

Who needs a tube amp?

Depends on your situation. Most tube amps in the sweet spot are too loud for low volume bedroom stuff. If you can't turn one up due to volume restrictions, then I would either budget for a quality attenuator(Power Station in my case) or stick with digital/SS.
  4. thosk

Anyone try those mini SS heads (Soldando, Friedman,etc.) into a Fryette Power Station?

From the PS2 manual: "XX THE POWER STATION IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH SOLID STATE AMPLIFIERS THAT USE CURRENT FEEDBACK AND AN UNGROUNDED OUTPUT. USING THE POWER STATION WITH SUCH PRODUCTS MAY CAUSE OSCILLATION AND POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO THE AMPLIFIER." "XX THE POWER STATION IS NOT INTENDED FOR...
  5. thosk

Fans of the 18 watt Marshall circuit?

3x ECC83s, 2x EL84s, EZ81 recto, IIRC.
  6. thosk

Fender 65 PRRI vs Supro Keeley 10 vs Supro Amulet?

IIRC, there were complaints as well about the loop when first came out. Don't know if this was resolved. I was interested mainly because it had an MV, but passed when they took so long to hit the stores and bought a Blues King 12 instead.
  7. thosk

Favorite 20ish-watt 1x12" blackface style amp with tremolo and master volume / attenuator?

Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverb.
  8. thosk

What Bassman circuit is this? AB165?

Not able to view the pics but if it has the pair of 220K ohm resistors on a terminal strip close to the power tubes(assuming they haven't been removed which is a common mod), its an AB165.
  9. thosk

Fryette PS1 or Fryette PS2?

Congrats...you'll love it. I've had my PS2 since its introduction. Can't do without it now!
  10. thosk

Vintage Fender Tweed Shopping Checklist (and avoid list)

Give the late 50's Gibson tweed GA18t Explorers a look as well.
  11. thosk

What amp have you owned for the longest time?

'66 Fender Bassman. Bought new in '67.
  12. thosk

Recommend an attenuator

I've owned or auditioned most of the usual suspects in my search for decent, not too expensive, attenuator, and spent a a fair amount of $$ doing so. I finally bit the bullet and bought a PS2. I could have saved myself a lot of time and $$ if I had gone that route in the first place.
  13. thosk

NEW Supro Amulet

And still claiming 15w class A out of a single 6L6....lol.
  14. thosk

Sears and Robock Lawsuit Guitar

In the oven...
  15. thosk

Thoughts on the SG elegant?

WAY to much bling there for me. Love SGs, tho.
  16. thosk

Lets see some end of the year Juniors!!!

Precision Guitar PartsJunior
  17. thosk

Bassman Amp- the mojo is working

La Tostada
  18. thosk

What's the story behind VHT amps?

Ive got a VHT D-50 Dumble(-ish) clone. Very solid and great sounding 50w, hand-wired amp. Yes, its made in China. At $850.00 for the head, its a steal.
  19. thosk

Quieter Weber 10A125?

You could try their Signature series SIG10AS Alnico. They are fairly inefficient, Vintage tone, and inexpensive. However, Unless you just need to shave off a few dBs, I doubt whether it would make that big of a difference. I have one in the 5A3 in my Avatar and its still too loud for home use if...
  20. thosk

Alternative speaker for Supro Blues king 10

I had the 12" version. For me it was a tossup between a Greenback and a GA10-SC64. I went with the Alessandro for a more American tone.
  21. thosk

Too much bass on vox ac10

If this is the new version AC10, the tone controls are very interactive. When you change one you'll need to adjust the other. And the gain control will affect it as well.
  22. thosk

Who’s out there making/selling “oversized” cabinets for a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe??

http://www.mergili.com/home-1.html Had an oversize cab made for my 5F1 just large enough to take a 10'' speaker but keep the stock proportions. Great service, great work, reasonable prices.
  23. thosk

Tremolux problem

First I'd swap the two power tubes around and see if the issue follows the tubes or is related to the sockets. Also,(if you're familiar with tube amp safety), check the components associated with the sockets and Cathode resistor for obvious damage. If you're lucky it may just be the power...
  24. thosk

Who needs a tube amp?

Personally, I wouldn't go tubes without budgeting for a quality attenuator or reactive load as well. No sense going tubular if you can't hit the sweet spot at manageable volume. Or maybe try out a used Superchamp XD or X2- digital modeling preamp with a tube power section.
Top Bottom