• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

amp with pc power cord

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
Do you know the gauge of the PC power cord? The gauge is typically printed or scribed on the cable, sometimes following the letters AWG. Lower numbers mean greater current capacity.

I would think 18 gauge would certainly be adequate, and in fact many amp manufacturers use 18 or 16 gauge with some fairly powerful amps.

I found a decent 14 gauge 10 footer from Cyberguys that is about $15.00 and has robust and tight fitting connectors. Here is a link:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=29621#page=page-1

Many claim to hear a "difference" with power cords, and I will count myself among them with regards to my home audio system, however due to all of the moving target variables in guitar amps, I've chosen the cable I referenced above because there is no doubt it can handle way more current than I need, it has great connectors, it is tough, and very easy to work with. And, it is not at all expensive.

teletalkin

Gold Supporting Member
Do you know the gauge of the PC power cord? The gauge is typically printed or scribed on the cable, sometimes following the letters AWG. Lower numbers mean greater current capacity.

I would think 18 gauge would certainly be adequate, and in fact many amp manufacturers use 18 or 16 gauge with some fairly powerful amps.

I found a decent 14 gauge 10 footer from Cyberguys that is about $15.00 and has robust and tight fitting connectors. Here is a link:
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=29621#page=page-1

Many claim to hear a "difference" with power cords, and I will count myself among them with regards to my home audio system, however due to all of the moving target variables in guitar amps, I've chosen the cable I referenced above because there is no doubt it can handle way more current than I need, it has great connectors, it is tough, and very easy to work with. And, it is not at all expensive.
The cord says 18awgx3c so I'm guessing this is okay?

I have to ask again, is there something different between a PC cord and an amp cord? In any case, isn't a 15 amp outlet going to "allow" between 110-120 V at whatever amperage the unit draws regardless, as long as the power cable allow a reasonably free flow of current. I know I've gotten a boost and enhanced sound by using lower capacitance and thicker gauage guitar, patch and speaker cable, but is there really going to be a difference from decent 18AWG Vs a 14AWG? Other than theory, has anyone noticed a difference from one good quality 18 gauge to a thicker power cable?
BTW SameDay Music has a 14AWG 15 footer for $15.00 with free shipping.

Last edited:

SamBooka

well that is what I use since I work in IT and get them ...err .. free?

I have also cliped off the female ends and used them to replace 2 prong cords on amps.

zzmoore

Would it hurt to run a 17 watt amp with a computer power cord?
It is perfectly fine. I assume you are talking about the 18 AWG gray power cords that are used with so many of todays computers..? The answer is still the same. It is a perfectly fine power cord to use.
Of course, you may hear from some guys that swear to the superiority of $100.00 power cords. If you believe in that sort of thing, then by all means.......
Best

deeval

Silver Supporting Member
It will work just fine,the important thing is make sure that you have a good tight connection at the power cord end that plugs into the amp,also I like to use those power cord clips to secure to the cabinet when I have those type on a combo amp.

Ronsonic

You've got a cord, an amp and an outlet. Plug it in and play.

If you had some stupid-huge amp then maybe something special would be required, but not for anything "normal" like your amp.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I've snagged plenty of power cords from all those computers left out for the trash.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Since we're resurrecting seven year old threads here: If your amp has an IEC male receptacle, no worries using a PC power cord that terminates in an IEC female connector. Where you can get in SERIOUS trouble is if you just clip off the IEC female so you can use the power cord in a hardwired amp that does not have a socket for a removable cord. You may find -- to your peril -- that some of those cords were made with the mindset that since the cord was going to have connectors on both ends, it doesn't matter what color wire we use for which function, inside the cord.

I got a good deal on some PC style cordsets (male 3 prong power connector on one end, IEC female on the other end), and intended to use them to replace power cords on 'wired' amps like BF/SF Fenders. I cut the IEC off the first one and found that the internal wires were the friendly and familiar black, white, and green colors. BUT, the factory had made the cord such that the GREEN wire was AC hot, and the BLACK wire was safety ground. Had the chassis been insulated from touching any other ground, I could have grabbed the chassis (which would have been connected to AC hot 120V) with one hand, then leaned over my bench resting my other hand on a grounded benchtop and gotten 120V right across the chest. Thankfully the amp chassis was touching a grounded surface, so it just blew the wall breaker as soon as I plugged it in.

DON"T trust the internal wiring in these premade cords to be correct -- always verify that they are right for the wire color assignments. And if they are wrong, THROW THEM AWAY.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom