$0.02 Pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Herb Utsmelz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

I have an ash 50s RW with the stock Tex Mex's. They seem a bit muddy through my Marshall Class 5 Combo and overall kind of 'blah'. I'm thinking something a little brighter to bring out more headroom and add some life to the natural distortion of the small tube amp. Any suggestions? I was thinking something with staggered pole pieces and less output.

2. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

I think you'd really like the dimarzio area '67 pickups. They are hum canceling too.

3. Herb Utsmelz

Herb Utsmelz 'Tis what 'tis Supporting Member

Thanks m-m-m. I'll check into them.

Just a general note to clarify the OP, I have a 50s RW Telecaster.

4. m-m-m

m-m-m Member

Oh ... well, I hear good things about the dimarzio Area T's, but I'm not a tele guy so I don't have any experience.

Cheers.

5. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

i don't know what RW is and i'm not familiar with the amp, but there are other ways to tune the response curve of a guitar besides swapping pickups

high pass filter (takes care of excessive bass you mention)

wilde q-filter

the components of the guitar itself form an LCR network, and you can change the shape and peak of the curve by altering everything from R value (e.g. pots values, number of pots, rewind coil with same turns, TPL, etc and just thinner/thicker wire/insulation), external load (cable, passive components at amp input), etc...

messing with pickups is undoubtedly the most fun and the most mysterious/alchemic part of guitar tech, but it's expensive, impractical, imprecise... most of us would probably benefit from more inquiry into the other areas.

i keep telling myself i'm going to do a blog about this kind of stuff but i never get around to it. sorry... maybe i'll spend the time i usually spend on these kinds of posts [yanks on collar like rodney dangerfield] and actually do it.

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I suggest changing the volume pot to a higher value first to see if that brightens it up enough.

7. socalscott

socalscott Member

There are companies that offer full wire harnesses all the way to pick guards w/pups.

As stated, best to start at the pots and caps. The pups may use steel poles rather than magnet rods. Mag rods = fender tone.

It is easy to replace steel slugs with mag rods, even if drilling the holes larger is required. Cool part is you can choose alnico type(s) for each pup or even mix 3 & 3 within one pup.

8. doc

doc Member

Phooey. I thought you had a line on someplace I could load up on some pickups for 2 cents a piece.

:bonk