000 12 fret slot head GAS!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by BillyBardahl, Jan 25, 2006.

1. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Anybody else "jonesing" for one of these fingerstyle sweeties? I played some Collings and SC's over the weekend and I am officially now haunted!

My only acoustic right now is a Taylor 314ce...it's fine, but when I played some higher end stuff....I.....had....no....idea....:eek:

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

3. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

I did not get to play that one or the 00050 but they are on my radar..I have been impressed with the other Larrys I have played

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I just sold my '63 Martin 00-NY to a good buddy. 12 frets to the body, slotted headstock, brazilian rosewood, wide, ebony neck. A lovely sound, loud, perfect for fingerpicking and any other damn thing. 12 fret guitars have a different tone and feel. Wish I could have kept this one.

5. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

My wife is going to kill me!

6. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

Did you sell it to get something else? Why did you let it go?

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well .. buy my Barbarossa 000-C .. although it isn't a 12 fret join ...

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a Martin 000-16SGT last year, 12 frets to the body, slot head, kind of a small body too. Great guitar, but I play mine - hard - with a pick. Love the way it sounds.

--chiba

9. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

Ever hear of Kronbauer from Canada? Here's a pic of my smallbody with cedar top and koa back/sides. It is a 12-fretter cutaway with slotted head. It sure makes some noise for being so small!

[​IMG]

10. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

I have a Collings 00-1A and a Ds1-A...both 12-fretters...both wonderful. I don't think I could ever go back to a 14 fret guitar...

Bill Collings shop builds some of the finest stuff out there...

Eugene

11. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

That Kronbauer is beautiful.

--chiba

12. wodka

wodka Member

The best 12-fret slot I played was a Martin 000-15S I just sound fantastic especially for the price.

13. Scott M.

Scott M. Member

Just bought (and now have to sell to fund the purchase of another guitar) a Collings 000-2H in indian/sitka. Great guitar. Dusts a Martin 000-28 Golden Era I used to own. I'm always amazed at the bass in the 12 fret 000s. Hate to have to sell it, but. . .

Regarding the Kronbauers, a buddy just bought a second one and he loves them.

14. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

Thanks, Chiba. The Kronies are really nice and a great bargain for the price.

15. anderbird

anderbird Member

I had a Collings OO2H that was really nice, however this floored me!
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the guitar is extraordinary too.
    Steve

16. kilgorekid

kilgorekid Member

Ooooh, Steve! That pic is like showing Miss America's high heels when she's wearing a bikini! How about exposing the rest of that H&D?:D

17. m1911

m1911 Member

The Collings 0002H is a PERFECT guitar that does WAY more than finger-pick. It sounds (and looks) as cool as any acoustic I've seen.
    I bought the standard Sitka Spruce and couldn't be happier. Should age nicely. This guitar is used primarily for Blues-banging, and I was considering a National Resophonic early on....but so glad I bought this one. The only change I made was swapping the (already cool) Waverly Nickel Knobs for some Ivoroid ones.
    Here are some lousy pictures of a VERY nice guitar:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/m1911/Collings0002HFront2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/m1911/Collings0002HSide2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/m1911/Collings0002HSide1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/m1911/Collings0002HBack1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/m1911/Collings0002HNeck1.jpg

18. mad dog

Billy: I sold the Martin 00-NY for several reasons. Not playing much acoustic recently, still have a '43 Martin 0-18 that will never go, plus I just needed the money. It helped that the guy I sold it to is a friend and neighbor. I'd loaned this guitar to him for several years. He finally acknowledged the obvious, that this guitar speaks to his soul and he needs it. I'm happy it's nearby, and the bucks are helping to fund new kitchen cabinets. This is making my lovely wife so happy. (I am a hopeless gear slut, but I'm also no fool.)

19. BillyBardahl

BillyBardahl Member

mad dog , A 43' ? :jo !!!

I can only imagine the magic in that one...I too am a gear slut! To date I have been an amp, effects, and strat / PRS / Les Paul slut...now there are new vistas to conquer and I am apprenticing at the "ultimate couch guitar and Beatles scores on the coffee table " slutdom!

m1911...I spent some time with that one and it was very nice....I am now deciding between Collings and Bourgeouis...

I went in looking at a Larry 00050 ( about 1800.00 ) I could have been happy with it, but no, I had to play those others didn't I!

I was surprised how well some of the mahogany guitars ( back and sides ) stacked up to the rosewoods...The best I heard was the Bourgeouis with the adirondack top and a slot head that size wise lived between an OM and a Dread...forget the model number...they all sounded great, and I will have a difficult time picking one...The Collings were a little chimier and sweeter...but not by not much, but that big guitar from Maine was the loudest acoustic I have ever heard and it whispered pretty sweetly...it was a beautiful sunburst also.. The Collings were more comfortable to hold and I liked the necks a little better....I did not play any Collings dread types so maybe I should try that...I went in looking at 000 style guitars but now I think I want something in the middle of 000 and dread after playing and hearing some of what's out there in the higher end.

20. mad dog

Billy: I'm with you on the mahogany thing. After years of going along with the herd on this, finally realized I much prefer mahogany to rosewood. In smaller body guitars, both are very fine. That Martin 00-21NY actually had the best rosewood sound I'd found, snappy, resonant, but very balanced. I'm sure the 12-fret to the body had something to do with it. But in larger body instruments, I've yet to hear a rosewood instrument that does it for me. Snappy top, boomy bottom, no balance. It was dissatisfaction with a really rather nice D-28 that got me into smaller body guitars, and into mahogany.