.013 to .056 D'addario's in HSS Strat

ganzosrevenge

A friend of mine wants me to put .013 to .056 D'Addario's on his HSS American Deluxe Strat. My reservation is that the strings will not clear the nut. (The biggest i've done is .012 to .052, and that's for my strat). Am I going to run into issues with 13s in his strat?

Jason

you'll probably have to recut the nut and straighten the truss rod. otherwise, its no problem at all. the guitar can take it.

germs

No, LSR will not accept 13's. They are sized to a specific range of gauges that are most popular. You can order another one that would fit.

If it was a traditional nut you could always re-cut. But why so high? Is he trying to be SRV? 12's are hard enough, especially at standard pitch...

ganzosrevenge

I press hard on the strings... so anything below an 11 will be pushed sharp. I'm not a light player, however I have modded my strat so it is easier to play with 11s.

ganzosrevenge

Emailed fender.

I got an email from Rob Schwarz, he contacted the inventor of the LSR nut, apparently a .013 to .056 will fit. the high e is designed to go as high as 14s.

Jason

kimock

But why so high? Is he trying to be SRV? 12's are hard enough, especially at standard pitch...
I've had my '60 Strat strung 14-62, standard pitch for the last 30 years.
It's real playable, comfortable, stable etc.
It's a pain in the ass to make the transition from the slinky thing to the heavy string gauge, but that's mostly learning to deal with the wound third imo.

Once you get over that initial hump, it's no big deal to switch back and forth between those gauges.
They both have good things to offer that you can't get with the other set up.

It's worth it just for that. Not necessarily to cop anybody else's trip, but to see where else you can go with yours.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
It's a pain in the ass to make the transition from the slinky thing to the heavy string gauge, but that's mostly learning to deal with the wound third imo.

Once you get over that initial hump, it's no big deal to switch back and forth between those gauges.

It's worth it just for that. Not necessarily to cop anybody else's trip, but to see where else you can go with yours.
Steve,
I haven't compared such a big difference (10s to 14s for example) but it seems that although the string tension for such a set would be high, the finger force (it's a technical term) for bending 1/2 step, full step, etc wouldn't be a lot different. Is that your experience?

ganzosrevenge

mine started with a friend of mine wanting 13 to 56 and having the LSR nut. Another reason I like thicker strings is that they sustain better, hold tuning better, and they tend to have a bit of a meatier tone to them.

Jason

101Volts

My strat could barely take 11's. I can't imagine 13's. Good luck.
Come to think of it, It would be pretty hard to bend .13s on a Strat if the fretboard radius is a 9.50" or a 7.25". I like thick strings but have to stop somewhere if it starts getting really hard to bend. That being said, My ES 335 copy (Which has a 12" radius and 42 thousanths tall frets that are dressed well) Works well with thick strings. In fact, I wouldn't want to play anything thinner than .12s on it! So it all boils down to the guitar and what the player is comfortable with.

Trending Topics