04 Blues Deluxe reissue questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jcs, Mar 18, 2015.

1. jcs

jcs Member

I own this 04 BDR.....right off the bat, the treble affects the volume a LOT, much more than any of my other amps.

The mid and bass control seem to do little as well.

Is this common with this amp?

Also, the volume taper is not like many describe, its seems more gradual than many folks say & it is a 250k pot.

This amp was biased at around 50% with the stock Sovtek 5881 (which I don't particularly care for)..... I set the bias around 70% and it seems punchier.....

Still....that pesky treble control seems to really affect volume on both channels....unless the treble is at least on 5 to 7, the amp lacks volume.

Since the amp has low plate volts (420 to 430 range) I may go ahead and try some real Tung Sol 5881 out of my horde to get sweeter breakup at lower volume.

This amp is LOUD........but it does not sound as good as my 71 SFSR at low volumes.

I will definitely try some different speakers (I have a bunch).

The stock speaker appears to be the one used widely by Fender with the multi ribbed cone.....kind of a Jensen C12N type possibly.

2. jcs

jcs Member

I pulled all of the preamp tubes and put in all Sylvania:

1950's Blackplate 5751 in V1

1950's Black plate 12ax7 in V2

1950's Blackplate 12at7 in V3.

MUCH easier to manage the volume now & smoother and warmer.

The issue with the controls is now gone....I wonder if some corrosion on the original preamp tubes were to blame here or the pots which I need to deoxit?

I do not think this amp was played much with almost zero discoloring on the power tube ink writing.

Think I will dig out a 12ay7 to try in V1 but this amp kicks major rear at this point.

Any comments are appreciated from BDR owners!

3. jcs

jcs Member

No one huh?