'04 Fender American Standard truss rod?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jrcorp, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

I've read a few threads and searched around online, but I want to be sure I'm stuck.

I try to work on my own guitars with mostly success. This time, I think I've screwed up. The relief on my Strat was at least three times the ideal measurement according to Fender - about 0.03" at the 8th fret. Using an 1/8" allen wrench, I tightened the truss rod over a few days, and the relief is now a bit below 0.02".

At the very least, I've messed the guitar up cosmetically - the wrench I used wasn't long enough on the short end of the L, and so the finish around the walnut plug is all scraped up. That's fine with me; I don't care about having a pristine guitar or letting some money go if I resell.

The scary part is that I feel stuck. I think I'm either rounding off the wrench or the inside of the nut, because the wrench is slipping. If I had to guess, I would say I tightened the nut about 1/2 turn at most over a few days.

Is a 1/8" allen wrench correct for the job? Have I stripped the nut? Using a flashlight, it doesn't looked bad to me at all. Have I fully tightened the truss rod? This is the first time I've adjusted it since buying it secondhand a few years ago (let it sit in a case for awhile).

Eventually I plan to take it to the local shop for a setup, where I know I could get a good answer and possibly a scolding. I just wanted to be sure I'm stuck. Otherwise, I may go buy a T-handle or other allen wrench to get a better grip.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Hard to say w/o seeing the Guitar ?...but the 1/8" Allen is the correct size.