'07 Honda needs motor. Opions please.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dwes, May 8, 2015.

1. dwes

dwes Member

Our Pilot needs a new motor. It only has 60K miles. All maintenance done as recommended. We are the original owners.

Weighing new motor, rebuilt motor and scrapping the car and getting a new vehicle.

Anyone had a similar situation? What did/would you do?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

General rule of thumb is if the cost of the repair exceeds the vehicle's KBB value, scrap it and get another one.

3. Young John

Young John Member

What happened to the engine? It should be good for 100-150 thousand miles at the least.

4. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Did you get a price for replacement? Did you investigate if Honda has an offer or a deal for customers who've had to go through this? Because that's nowhere near normal.

I had some sort of factory-replace deal in my Odyssey. Not the whole engine, but some major work. And years ago I had a Mercury Villager (a sweet minivan also called the Nissan Quest). The dealer's mechanic says one say, "If you ask for it, we have to replace your engine for free." I had to ask to hear that one over again. Unbelievable. So yeah, I asked for it, and got a new engine for free. A year later I was still waiting for the knock on the door demanding me to pay, but it never came. Honda also seems to be very good at programs designed to keep customers happy.

And, you know, damn. I'd ask another Honda dealer about that engine problem. What in hell is wrong with it?

5. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I really didn't need to read "Honda needs new engine."
    Did cylinder 6 go out?

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I've had two cars need a new engine. First was a VW Passat that was ruined when the dealer did a bad water pump replacement. Second was a Pathfinder that was abused.

The VW had its engine replaced for free by the dealer. They had the car for 40 days and it was never the same.

The Pathfinder I just sold to the guy working at the dealership for $1000 because I had learned from my first example that it just wasn't worth it.

In both cases I was quoted around $10k to replace the engine with a matching one from a junkyard that was rebuilt.

7. standard24

standard24 Member

What about a salvage yard engine? An engine from a wrecked Honda can still be good, and cost + installation would certainly be less than a new car.

8. dwes

dwes Member

Camshaft worn. I don't know why. The mechanic has thoughts but they're speculation.

My business partner needed a new engine in his 2006 Pilot 1.5 years ago. Also the variable 6 cyl motor.

Very surprising. I've had an Accord, CRV, Odyssey and this Honda. First issue... and a big one.

9. dwes

dwes Member

This was my biz partner's resolution.

His car is still running. No warranty though. His repair was about 35% of the cost of a new Jasper motor. The Jasper has a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Our Pilot from the same era was a POS. Didn't need a new engine but that's about all it didn't need.
    Honda does occasionally have specials for service on this kind of thing when pressed, as mentioned in another post.

11. FractalGarden

FractalGarden Member

I can't answer your question, but will gladly offer you a needed "NI."

[​IMG]

12. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I highly recommend getting an engine rather than a motor. If you go with the motor you will need a lot of very long extension cords.

13. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

Our Odyssey needed a new tranny at 100k. This was a known issue where Honda used an Accord tranny in the much bigger Odyssey, and it would fail at 80k or so, so they issued a recall to band-aid it till it got past the warranty.

They absolutely refused to do anything for me, including sell me a tranny at cost.

I fu*cking HATE Honda, and won't ever consider buying one of their vehicles again.

14. Jd3

Jd3 Member

sorry you had a bad experience. My wife's 2003 odyssey has 190k miles (original motor with no work ever done to it) and it runs like the day we bought it. We are thinking of replacing it, but there is no need.

Oh, and the tranny did go out at 105k miles -- honda gave us the tranny at cost and installed it at no charge. Habanero, did you talk to the regional rep ? The tranny was a well known issue.

15. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

It's been a while. I sent several letters to corporate, and dealt with the dealer, who, IIRC, was in touch with the regional rep.

16. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Serious question: how are people getting to 190K miles on any car without ever having any belts or pumps replaced? Or do you not consider those to technically be engine issues?

17. scott944

scott944 Member

Might be worth fishing around on the Honda-specific forums to see if this is a "known" issue. Lots of cars have 'em - ask an early Boxter/996 owner.

18. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

Well, for one, belts are a maintenance item. If the engine has a timing belt, that is a maintenance item as well and since it driver the water pump, the water pump is usually changed as a preventative.

19. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Now my frick'n stomach hurts. Just got a '06 Ridgeline (40,000) miles
    To replace the Nissan that ate my wallet from hell. I would rather have root canals at the IRS office.

20. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Maybe get a used engine installed and immediately sell it?